Scott Arfield pre-contract deal?

Regarding the 4 years, it depends on personal fitness and what wage he’s on. If he’s on a top wage then it sounds irresponsible.

However it largely depends on how fit he is, Davis has managed to keep a starting place at Southampton to 33. Given Arfield’s track record of playing almost every game of the season almost every year i’m not worried about him playing here into his thirties. 

Edited by DMAA

47 minutes ago, pete said:

Just a question in between. When is the Glasgow cup final with the u17's against them?

I posted it in the youths thread last week, it is on Monday live on STV 2

3 hours ago, Craigy1881 said:

Sure because if it was a 29 year old Ronaldo you would say that

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If it was Ronaldo I would agree with the deal.

It's not though.

You can't begin to evaluate a transfer window that hasn't even opened but one thing that stands out is that average age of the players so far heavily linked is relatively high. A positive and important slant is that ability and level they have played is good, but so did Alves, Kranjcar and Barton.

A 4 year deal for a 29 year old is unusual and it's probably one of the main reasons Arfield has decided to come up the road.

I don't know much about him but just hope his body is in good shape and his 'hunger' is still there.

McGregor's age isn't that much of an issue given he is a keeper. What we know is that he is of a very decent level and getting him on a Bosman is good business.

McArthur would be a similar story to Arfield. Most of his career behind him, no resale value, age = higher risk of injury BUT importantly, a very good footballer.

--------------

Bottomline, Arfield and McGregor are good additions but we need a balance with some younger players with their career in front of them, not to mention resale value to eventually help with revenue.

I reckon it more realistic and feasible to try and build up to winning the league in 2019/20 than try and force something for next season that is heavy odds against and would drain funds.