The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

57 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

How so? 

They're big target-men, with the ability to run (more so with Sadiq). I think they'd both be fairly useful. 

Neither are target men. They are tall but both poor aerially from what I’ve seen. 

I’m not sure, I don’t mind the sound of either player but I can’t help but feel you have guaranteed goals with Cummings which is what you need alongside Morelos arguably. 

If true Sadiq is done and we’re looking for another striker it sounds like Gerrard plans to play 2 up front. Presumably in a 3-5-2 with Goldson, Katic and Alves at the back. 

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Maybe I'm missing something but Sadiq and Lafferty are fairly similar and neither is ideal for 75% of  the type of games we'll get in the domestic game.

You mean a tall striker to aim crosses and corners at, someone not easily brushed aside by your archetypical Premiership defender? Lafferty got 19 goals in 45 games for Hearts last season ... and not that many on the quick counter methinks. Just saying. 

As of now we only have Morelos and Sadiq's back-up might well be Lafferty. Season's long and people will have to get used to the local fare too ...

2 hours ago, craig said:

Nope.  I think that Gerrard just likes "very much" a player who has played for 18 months without a break and scored plenty of goals for us, whilst not always having a great supporting cast.

One more thing he probably likes "very much" about Morelos. Judging from what we have seen coming out of the training camp in Spain recently SG wants 'fighters' in his team. And Morelos indisputably falls into that category to the extent he sometimes verges on taking it a step too far. 

13 hours ago, DMAA said:

Neither are target men. They are tall but both poor aerially from what I’ve seen. 

I’m not sure, I don’t mind the sound of either player but I can’t help but feel you have guaranteed goals with Cummings which is what you need alongside Morelos arguably. 

If true Sadiq is done and we’re looking for another striker it sounds like Gerrard plans to play 2 up front. Presumably in a 3-5-2 with Goldson, Katic and Alves at the back. 

You don't have to be good aerially to be a target man. They are both target men, IMO. Or, perhaps link-up men is more appropriate, but it's the same role.

I agree neither are goalscorers.

Cummings really didn't get many goals, but we do need another goalscorer alongside Morelos. I think we're still in for one, alongside the Sadiq and Lafferty links?

I believe SG's favourite formations are 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-2-1. I can see one of the above leading the line, or playing off the other. I suspect they will be an option off the bench, as Morelos has to be first choice. There's also a Mandzukic type role, of a target man playing wide -- which would fit in either the 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-2-1.  

Has the boy Lukas Nmecha been mentioned on this thread, that Bill from Rocksport (not sure how itk he is) had mentioned it on twitter that they were considering him as an option, I'm guessing that was if the sadiq transfer fell through though.

51 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

You don't have to be good aerially to be a target man. They are both target men, IMO. Or, perhaps link-up men is more appropriate, but it's the same role.

Fair enough it’s just a matter of definition. I have always thought strong aerial ability is essential to being a target man. Whereas a link up man is a bit different, more like a Stephen Dobbie (at Swansea at least). 

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Fair enough it’s just a matter of definition. I have always thought strong aerial ability is essential to being a target man. Whereas a link up man is a bit different, more like a Stephen Dobbie (at Swansea at least). 

Dobbie was a #10. 

Maybe link-up man is wrong too. Bounce board? :D 

I think Target man is right, to be honest -- I don't think you need strong aerial ability to be a target man. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I think Target man is right, to be honest -- I don't think you need strong aerial ability to be a target man

Well from a quick google of “football target man” all the articles that come up refer to strong aerial ability. I’d say the likes of Lafferty are semi-target men, or poor men’s target men who can do the link up play side of things but aren’t going to win as many knock-downs, flick ons etc as you would expect from a quality target man like Prso.