Steven Gerrard is the new Rangers manager

I was shocked to have to locate this thread on page 2, already.  Anyway, here's Brian Glanville's view.  Suffice to say he's "not a fan"...

Curious coincidences. Hardly had Steven Gerrard been ecstatically if so controversially installed as the new manager of Rangers that it was reported that a well-known Liverpool criminal, who long ago had been asked by Gerrard’s father to protect him from a thug who was demanding money from him, was reported to have been killed.

All those years ago when the protector was up in court and about to be sentenced, Gerrard’s father put in a word for him though in the event he need not have bothered as the man absconded, though he was later caught.

Frankly, I can make scant sense of Gerrard’s new appointment, though it has unleashed euphoria among Rangers fans, who thronged to greet him when he arrived at Ibrox, promising to “topple Celtic”. This hot on the heels of Celtic’s five-nil annihilation of the current Rangers team. Gerrard, absurdly in my view, now must make the immense leap from coaching a Liverpool teenaged team to taking over at famous but struggling Rangers.

I suppose I can understand why he had decided to do so whatever his manifest coaching inexperience, I can understand the excessive enthusiasm of the fans, but why the Rangers hierachy should think Gerrard, whatever his playing triumphs, should be ready to guide them to success makes not a grain of good sense. He does at least have the experienced Gary McAllister beside him, but the task he faces is immense. That some 7000 ecstatic fans should have greeted him with such applause was only the measure of their desperation. Shades of The Life of Brian.

“When Rangers came it was a game changer,” says Gerrard who tells us that he turned down other offers. Perhaps the best thinking he could do would be to put his footballing boots on and become a player manager.

Has Gerrards been presumptuous? I suppose it is easy to understand. In a well ordered world, Gerrard would eventually take over the top job at Liverpool, with years of managerial experience under his belt. In the interim, he might have briefly managed lesser clubs to acquire that managerial experience.

Still, even if things go wrong at Ibrox, Gerrard has a four-year deal and would be amply compensated if he was obliged to leave. He says his parents brought him up to face a challenge. Well, poor old Don Quixote thought he was facing them too when he was only attacking windmills. Somehow I don’t think Celtic and their manager, let alone the team as a whole, will be trembling in their shoes.

Read more at http://www.worldsoccer.com/news/brian-glanville-34-402103#K5TXugw1pyXe7i5k.99

I am fed up reading negative opinion from cunts like Glanville (himself a broken down old has been, quite frankly), who know sod all about Scottish fitba', and, as a consequence, overrate the child abusers, and their manager. 

2 minutes ago, boabie said:

Radio on in the car =  rumour Rooney to Ibrox.                        O.o

An expensive punt on a  busted flush. A bluff on Wazza is not an option. 

An article on Rangers in 'World Soccer' reflects the sudden rise in profile and it'll soon enough be results rather than conjecture that governs what is written.

ps. tell Rooney that the Grannies ain't much kop up here.

Edited by buster.

17 minutes ago, buster. said:

An article on Rangers in 'World Soccer' reflects the sudden rise in profile and it'll soon enough be results rather than conjecture that governs what is written.

ps. tell Rooney that the Grannies ain't much cop up here.

It being Liverpool, the granny was 30, was she not?....

....She might have looked older in photographs

34 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

I am fed up reading negative opinion from cunts like Glanville (himself a broken down old has been, quite frankly), who know sod all about Scottish fitba', and, as a consequence, overrate the child abusers, and their manager. 

The bitterness in all these articles is clear! even if SG fails it is still an impressive appointment by the board and one that has given the club a lift and much needed recognition in the football world outwith the bitterness that has taken over Scottish football.

I look forward to reading all the good things that SG will bring to Rangers & Scottish football, despite what all the negative Scottish gutter press will continue to write. The Scottish gutter press are embarrassing themselves over this, which will be noted due to the coverage SG will have worldwide.

Edited by ian1964

46 minutes ago, buster. said:

ps. tell Rooney that the Grannies ain't much kop up here.

I don't think he's that fussy, as long as they have a well furnished caravan.

Kop!?  He's a Toffee so he won't approve.