Steven Gerrard is the new Rangers manager

6 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Steven Gerrard has captured the imagination of many of us, and I'm sure we all can't wait for him to get started properly.  However, something has happened already where I live and I can't remember the last time I've witnessed it.  I'm hearing the young kids talk about him and getting excited.  My son shows very little emotion (just like many stroppy teenagers) and yet he too has been on to his pals talking about it (via PlayStation headset of course - no chance of using their phones to talk to each other)............

Gaffer, you highlight a very important aspect about the appointment !

I think the older Bears sometimes don't realise that the youngest of the younger generations don't know what success is at Rangers and reading about past decades only sustains most for so long.

This needs to be more than a quick fix of mega attention.

Steven Gerrard Rangers Manager

Steven Clifford Uncategorized May 4, 2018 3 Minutes

Steven Gerrard was today announced as the new Rangers Manager, joining the club officially on June 1st on a four year contract. It’s difficult to put into context the buzz and excitement surrounding this on social media, not to mention today at Ibrox itself.

I personally don’t remember a Buzz such as this one we are currently experiencing. At 34 years old, I was a bit young to appreciate the arrival of Paul Gascoigne, it was the norm for me at that time for Rangers to sign superstars. It was around that time I started going to games and some 20 seasons or so as a season ticket holder, I simply don’t remember anything like this.

They say football can provide you with the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, we certainly know that to be true at Rangers. We have experienced some unbelievable highs in the run to Manchester, 9 in a row all during my lifetime. On the flip side we have also experienced the lowest of lows, the turmoil of the club and all that has come with it.

So at this moment in time we are allowed to embrace this, Steven Gerrard IS our new manager and we can be excited. For months I have blogged that a big things were happening in terms of manager and investment, Dave King confirmed that today to be true. It is up to the board now to deliver that funding today to the new manager.

It won’t be easy for the new manager as we all know this squad is way short of what is required. But we can also be sure there is a healthy budget there for the new manager and there most certainly will be a number of new faces coming into the club.

Gerrard is a winner, he knows what it takes and he oozes class. Determined and sure of his own self you only have to look at social media to see the reaction of his colleagues. Alan Shearer today joined by many more, Fox US the English national team to name but a few, All talking about Steven Gerrard and our club. Gerrard is made of strong stuff, he will instantly command respect and hopefully the players will be out to impress him as we see out this season.

The manager will be joined by Gary McAllister who will be his trusted assistant. Gary with a fondness for Rangers has always spoke well of our club. He will prove a solid assistant to Steven and also a solid soundboard for the new manager. The rest of his backroom staff will be confirmed in days to come but for the moment we can simply enjoy the moment.

Whilst his management style and exactly what he will bring to the club in his new role almost unknown, we do know that he will bring a hunger, desire and commitment we have been lacking. Steven Gerrard was right today, we simply just need to start winning matches and the rest will fall into place.

I believe thoroughly in this appointment, I believe Rangers will no longer be the soft centred team we have been under the new regime. I believe that in time, Steven Gerrard will install the heart, desire and mentality we have been missing for several years. I have long since blogged that better times were coming to the club, today underlined that belief.

The club today appointed a global superstar in footballing terms. The excitement and atmosphere at Ibrox was incredible as we got our first glimpse of the new man.

I am excited, I do believe this is the start of much better times for our club.

What better way to conclude this but in the managers own words –

‘Steven, any particular message to the Rangers supporters’

Steven Gerrard ‘LETS GO’

https://fourladshadadream.wordpress.com/2018/05/04/steven-gerrard-rangers-manager/

25 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

It's an exciting appointment and will give us worldwide exposure and great for Scottish football, and Hummel will be rubbing their hands, all good! however SG is still a rookie manager! let's hope he can hit the ground running as he will be up against the Scottish gutter press who will attack him at every opportunity, his first loss/draw he will find out how much Rangers are hated in Scotland!.

Pretty sure SG showed yesterday that he is more than a match for the press, he controlled them and ran the narrative in the direction he wanted to go, looks like the days of being trampled by the press are finally over, at least from the manager's office.

I have the feeling that he is going to be a tremendous success for us, so much so that I going to place a bet on us winning the league next season, I believe he will bring experienced players who may be nearing the end of their careers, but still well above anything this league has to offer, also with some promising youngsters too.

3 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Any word from Brendan yet on the Stevie G appointment?

Aye, he was on SSN speaking about it.  I turned it down, so have no idea what he said.

3 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Strange, as he’s usually got something to say on most matters in Scottish football?

Good luck Steven Gerrard. Some of his words and actions yesterday seemed a bit naive to me, but let’s hope he learns on the job. The fans need to be patient too - rookie managers usually make some high profile mistakes & get some bad results at first. He was talking about Aberdeen & Hibs as our main rivals at first, are the fans going to embrace this realism? Dave King kept mentioning points dropped against other teams, does he think the squad we have should be doing better & does that imply Gerrard won’t have the 25million he probably needs to win the league next season??

Unlike when we appointed Walter Smith, I don’t think Gerrard knows what he’s letting himself in for. He is the first Rangers manager who is younger than me, but he won’t look it by the end of his tenure! However maybe, like Graeme Souness, he has the strength of character & arrogance to handle it anyway. Souness said in 1986 it would take him 3 years to build a title winning side (though he did it 1st time) I would liked to have heard something similar from Gerrard, though I suppose that would be seen as negative talk nowadays.

His position should be reviewed every 6 months, and if we’re not at least 2nd then he will be out, and probably Mark Allen too. I just hope he doesn’t end up losing it & re-registering as a player or something! Still, if the fans are patient then this could be a big success, & it can’t get much worse (you would think) anyway, but the first guy Gerrard should be on the phone too is Souness if he is to be a success here!

8 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Strange, as he’s usually got something to say on most matters in Scottish football?

SG shouldn't say a word about Rodgers and let him keep mouthing off.

I note that Rodger picked yesterday to bury some 'unpalatable backtracking' on the wonderkid Mussonda.