MIND GAMES

Hibs and Neil Lennon’s unpredictability and rollercoaster of emotions is something to be embraced says Bill Leckie

The Northern Irishman's teams have always been an extension of his own personality and as the world clearly seen against Rangers, it's certainly that way at Hibs

Comment
By Bill Leckie
13th May 2018, 10:30 pm
Updated: 13th May 2018, 10:59 pm

NEIL LENNON’S teams will always be an extension of his own complex personality.

It was that way at Celtic. It’d be that way if he was at Barcelona or Brechin.

And as the world saw all too clearly, it’s sure as hell that way at Hibs.

Just as dogs grow to be like their owners, so the Easter Road side have picked up so many of their gaffer’s characteristics.

Sometimes Crufts-winning material, sometimes yappy and annoying, sometimes chasing their own tails like daft mongrels.

In that astonishing 5-5 draw with Rangers, we saw them fluctuate between all three almost from minute to minute, their owner’s mood on the touchline going up and down and up again in perfect sync.

And you know what?

This madness, this unpredictability, this 24/7 rollercoaster of emotions, it’s all something to be embraced — by the Hibees’ powers-that-be, by the fans, by the players and by Lennon himself.

So much was made of his reaction to that midweek defeat at Hearts, the perceived threat to walk away because his own expectations weren’t being met.

So many believed he should be apologising, retracting, winding his neck in. Seriously, where have these people been? Have they never met Lennon before?

He’s been totally open about his scraps with depression. He wears his heart on his sleeves every time he steps out in public.

He lives with the pressure of being either loved or despised.

Think for a moment about how you’d handle all of that yourself, whether you’d greet triumph and disaster the same, whether you’d always be able to count to ten, then count to ten again and only then even think about speaking your mind.

That’s not me defending him for the daft things he does, for the moments when he falls below the kind of standards he’d expect in others.

That’s just the way it is, as seen through the eyes of someone who’s also no stranger to a mood-swing or 12.

Lennon has his own mechanisms for dealing with criticism, with abuse and with all the other stresses his job and his profile bring — and which, yes, he sometimes brings crashing down upon himself.

Look at his reaction when the final, dramatic equaliser went in, giving it the big sprint towards the away end, then taxi-ing for take-off into his best Jim Leishman impression.

It got him sent to the stand and some might say it was inciting a riot, but his reaction was as honest as the day is long: They were giving me stick, so I gave them some back and the red card was worth it.

Fair do, you Bluenoses?

There’s 3,000 of you bawling all sorts of nasty stuff at the fella, so he’s entitled to a wee noise-up when things go his way at the end. Right?

If you’re still foaming at the mouth that he was in the wrong, then have a look at yourself.

After all, were you — or the Hibs hordes, for that matter — sitting there all calm and controlled as it went from 0-0 to 3-0 to 3-3 to 3-5 to 5-5?

As the cards piled up and the ref missed a stonewall penalty, as news dripped through from Parkhead that it was all going to mean hee-haw anyway?

Course you weren’t, so don’t deny someone else one last explosion of pent-up feelings just because he happens to be a manager.

Because think about it, would we have had half the spectacle in the sunshine of Leith had Lennon not produced the kind of team he has, one so perfectly in his own image?

Doubt it, just as so many matches this season wouldn’t have been half as open and entertaining without him in charge of Hibs.

Sure, in the end he’s gutted that they finished fourth rather than the second place he was convinced they were capable of.

But where would they have been had they gone about their top-flight return with caution, playing within their limitations, not daring to keep attacking even when it left them open to the counter-attack?

For me, they’ve been the most entertaining side in the country.

They’ve beaten Rangers away twice, beaten Celtic at home and drawn with them twice and the second half of their 2-0 home win over Aberdeen in February was as complete a performance as I’ve seen all season.

In Scott Allan, Florian Kamberi and Jamie Maclaren, they made three January signings that changed the entire focus of their playing style.

In Allan, John McGinn and Dylan McGeouch, they had the perfect midfield triangle.

Soon, of course, the acid test will be how they cope with losing one, probably two and maybe even all three of that engine room — and, without doubt, what tools they give Lennon to rebuild with will play a huge part in whether he’s serious about upping sticks.

Me? I hope he’s there next season because this thing he has with Hibs works — they might not find the same formula with the next guy.

It’s a combustible formula, no doubt. But if it gives us more spectacles like that, keep dropping those Mentos in the Coke bottle . .

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2637232/hibs-neil-lennon-emotions-bill-leckie/

Leckie suffers from depression, penned a tome about the condition. The Herald's Neil Cameron is often off work due to his battles with the Black Dog. Lennon is brave to admit he suffers from dark episodes, ......................... etc. It's a self help group, providing mutual support. I am happy for everybody involved to receive the necessary medication and advice.

Leckie also suffers from H-u-n Hatred, note in his piece we are foaming at the mouth. Apparently, there were 3,000 of us present at Easter Road, Bill missed the part where Hibs halved our allocation, although he probably supported Hibs in doing so. There is the problem, decades of marginalising, demonising, and dehumanising the Rangers support ensures it is now common currency. It's default position, whatever Neil does, it's the Rangers supporters fault.

Even when he is threatening pregnant partners? 

Lennon reminds me of these people who are not right in the head and play on it , you have seen them no doubt on tv and in the papers maybe in person and they like to tell us all , the polis can't do me because I am mad .

We should do everything to help people with this condition but be aware of the ones that hide behind it .

Hard to find words to describe that p***k Leckie in his defence of TLB,but he is obviously part of the massive clique of Rangers bashers.

The SFA should be taking account of the possible riot that could have occurred as a result of TLB's actions.

2 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

Leckie suffers from depression, penned a tome about the condition. The Herald's Neil Cameron is often off work due to his battles with the Black Dog. Lennon is brave to admit he suffers from dark episodes, ......................... etc. It's a self help group, providing mutual support. I am happy for everybody involved to receive the necessary medication and advice.

Leckie also suffers from H-u-n Hatred, note in his piece we are foaming at the mouth. Apparently, there were 3,000 of us present at Easter Road, Bill missed the part where Hibs halved our allocation, although he probably supported Hibs in doing so. There is the problem, decades of marginalising, demonising, and dehumanising the Rangers support ensures it is now common currency. It's default position, whatever Neil does, it's the Rangers supporters fault.

Even when he is threatening pregnant partners? 

My sympathies to any and all who suffer from clinical depression.

It doesn't, of necessity, make you a **** of a man, though, it has to be said. 

As for this clown Leckie, who, to be scrupulous, is at least on message in contemporary Scotland, I can only look at the cage liner for which he 'writes', and offer, "Shun the Sun".

Leckie and Lennon should know that provocation is not a defence, only mitigation but the mitigation diminishes by ten per cent for every ten yards run to confront the provocation.

Edited by Scott7