Signings so far - good enough?

1 hour ago, pete said:

I used to say a new manager needs 3 years to get his team together but they don't get that these days. Thank god Caixenha never got 3 years we would have had a diddy team and have been bankrupt. We all thought Alves and Cardoso were the real deal right enough.

I actually think Alves is good at CB but just too old and slow now which isn't suitable from the Scottish game nor the way we will generally be playing. We're as often as not pushing up high then having to rush back when the opposition get a break and he can neither turn fast enough nor run fast enough to handle that.

Cardoso might still make it I suppose, be up to Gerrard to decide if he can turn him into a quality CB we can use but in the meantime he's undoubtedly going to find himself as back up at best to the two new guys.

I think the important issue is the management team and their ability to get the players really fit, put them together in a way that functions and get the best out of them.

If that happens we may see the best side of the players.

If it doesn't, we won't.

Edited by buster.

17 hours ago, BEARGER said:
Not getting too carried away with our signings so far. Agree that better coaching can improve players.

Scott Arfield - on paper very good signing, but also thought Dorrans would be a great signing.

Allan McGregor - will be our No.1 assuming he’s still as good.

Ovie  Ejaria     - know nothing about him, same as 99% on here. Too mutch to expect this young guy to have us challengeing at the top.

Nikola  Katic - dittto

Connor Goldson - has some EPL experience should do a job for us.

It depends on what we mean by good enough.  This current group of players are technically good enough to challenge for the league.  We have no idea if they're mentally strong enough to cope with the demands of playing for Rangers.  We won't find out properly until we have our first few games.  We all just hope that Allen and the team (given that it's their first proper window) have been able to assess the mental attributes, otherwise we will be in for another difficult season.  I'm quietly confident though, but I'm always optimistic so don't listen to me.

I have a problem with the definition of 'good player', as it can mean different things to different people. It also depends on what type of player a team needs -- a 'good' forward doesn't necessarily need to be a goalscorer, for example.   

Overlooking the pedantry, I think on paper they look good: of sufficient quality, the right profile, age (generally) and they're filling the areas of the pitch that need improving. 

However, I think we'll need to wait to see them play first before we know if they're 'good' enough.

Although we scored goals last year, I still think we need Morelos to stay and get another serious proven goal scorer. Or another gem like Morelos. Competition up there is much needed. We have had 3 good strikers many times in my time, McCoist, Durie and Hately; Wallace, Mols and Dodds; Prso, Novo and Boyd; Naismith, Darcheville and Cousin; Miller, Lafferty and Jelavic. 

Goldson-If he can stay healthy he will be a special one I feel. 

Ejaria-same but I don't think we will see much of the 'special' at Rangers.

Katic-high upside with proper coaching and timed implementation. Remember this is a guy with Croatian caps. That is one hell of a squad.

Arfield-hard worker, known commodity will be an improvement.

Murphy- another known commodity and solid signing.

Flanagan (if signed)-To steal an oft used phrase from you Scots; not the quality we require. 

Morelos...the team needs to keep this chubby little dude. Yeah he misses 'Grand Canyon' shots at times but he is a weapon and the armory is pretty empty.

Reasonably happy so far. Think the priority should be a forward now, and yes I would take Cummings back. We are still a few players short but it’s difficult to know in what positions, as it depends on which signings turn out well & which don’t. Confident we can finish above Aberdeen, indeed more so last season as we already knew Caixinha was a dud. Gerrard might not be!

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 19:26, craig said:

The one thing I am pleased about is the clear, cohesive, way in which Allen & Gerrard have seen our central defensive area as being a weak link and working quickly to get that gap filled - who was it that complained when we signed Arfield that we needed defenders, when the window wasn't even open at that point ??? :D

You don't let up do you? All I meant was don't sign Arfield, concentrate on improving our defence.

Only time will tell if Katic and Goldson are better than what we have or had.

And if SG can manage.

Edited by les186