Flanagan was very impressive. Lots of chances will come from him coming inside and he’s excellent at keeping the ball. 

Katic was decent but I thought you could tell he’s not as good in the air as Goldson and generally not at his level. Plenty of time to improve. 

I thought Morelos was very poor all round. Delighted to see Middleton get a game he clearly offers the team something we didn’t have last season. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

At least you can be objective about it. Even the RangersTV commentators mentioned how much running he did to create space -- I've never heard that before. 

I actually thought Tavernier was anonymous last night, but I am content to see him named Captain; he is a solid performer. 

I thought there were pressing traps, because we weren't full, gung-ho press; it was more intelligent. We either enticed them into the middle where McCrorie et al pressed hard, or pinned them against the touchline. The CBs stepped out too to stop balls forward, which was pleasing. 

I noticed we dropped off at times too when they beat our press, albeit rarely, which was also pleasing. We didn't look troubled as we set up in a low block, which we'll need this season at times. Of course, it was just Bury. 

Bring on the first competitive game!

I've absolutely no doubt of what Josh Windass is capable of you only need to look at some of the goals he's scored for us especially the one against Celtic in the 2-3 game to put us 1-0 up to see that. I'm sure he does that day in day out in training also. In fact I know he does and you can see some of it in the training camp videos with SG being impressed too. You're right he made a fair few decent runs last night, his positioning was much better than it was last season to cut out opposition passes and runs etc. 

However and I am being objective... when it comes to a competitive game more often than not he struggles to reproduce that. From the half way line to 18 yard box he can be absolutely devastating for teams but I feel that once he's made up that grass he gets forced into taking shots that he shouldn't be taking because he is rarely able to deliver a ball to find a blue shirt in the box. Some of the shots come off for him but others just don't, what we used to call wasteful. Its early doors at the moment and there may be time for him to improve that part of his game with SG and if he can then he will be a great player. If he isn't able to improve that side of his game then SG wont play him its as simple as that.

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

At least you can be objective about it. Even the RangersTV commentators mentioned how much running he did to create space -- I've never heard that before. 

I actually thought Tavernier was anonymous last night, but I am content to see him named Captain; he is a solid performer. 

I thought there were pressing traps, because we weren't full, gung-ho press; it was more intelligent. We either enticed them into the middle where McCrorie et al pressed hard, or pinned them against the touchline. The CBs stepped out too to stop balls forward, which was pleasing. 

I noticed we dropped off at times too when they beat our press, albeit rarely, which was also pleasing. We didn't look troubled as we set up in a low block, which we'll need this season at times. Of course, it was just Bury. 

Bring on the first competitive game!

That makes sense - good observation!  I couldn't work it out because there were sometimes when it was obvious that the team was pressing hard (4 or 5 players around the area of the ball) and the others covering the passing lanes and men, and then others when we appeared to allow certain players to have the ball.  It wasn't from lack of concentration or laziness though because they all did the same, implying it was the game plan.  It seems that he's not had very much time to implement a system requiring specific instructions for each player's depending on the situation, so whatever he's done requires good decision making and intelligence by the players.  It does seem Tom have worked though because they are all on the same page.  That much is clear.  As you say too, the first competitive game can't come quickly enough for me.  I love the tactical side of football and can't wait to see how we develop our system over the season.  Early signs are good though!

One final thing is about you observing how we drop off or step out especially in defence.  I noticed this too and it just shows how many options we have tactically now that we have quick defenders at the back, who are also comfortable on the ball.

1 hour ago, Big Jaws said:

I've absolutely no doubt of what Josh Windass is capable of you only need to look at some of the goals he's scored for us especially the one against Celtic in the 2-3 game to put us 1-0 up to see that. I'm sure he does that day in day out in training also. In fact I know he does and you can see some of it in the training camp videos with SG being impressed too. You're right he made a fair few decent runs last night, his positioning was much better than it was last season to cut out opposition passes and runs etc. 

However and I am being objective... when it comes to a competitive game more often than not he struggles to reproduce that. From the half way line to 18 yard box he can be absolutely devastating for teams but I feel that once he's made up that grass he gets forced into taking shots that he shouldn't be taking because he is rarely able to deliver a ball to find a blue shirt in the box. Some of the shots come off for him but others just don't, what we used to call wasteful. Its early doors at the moment and there may be time for him to improve that part of his game with SG and if he can then he will be a great player. If he isn't able to improve that side of his game then SG wont play him its as simple as that.

I don't disagree; he can do a lot better. Time will tell -- I don't see that need to slate the guy after a pre-season friendly, though. 

His decision-making is poor, which we saw last night. I feel like that will improve with a better system. Although his crosses last night were wasteful -- although he got an assist with one -- I felt like they were rehearsed; It was a cut back to someone going to the penalty spot, or trying to go far post.  

What Was Worth Noting From the Win Against Bury?

We’ve all seen plenty of friendlies over the years. We know that results are largely meaningless, and even performances can be misleading. Last night’s 6-0 win over Bury can’t be seen as too revealing, but there was plenty to take from it. Let’s have a look at what was most interesting from the game.

https://fourladshadadream.wordpress.com/2018/07/07/what-was-worth-noting-from-the-win-against-bury/

I thought it interesting Jack came on to play further forward, as an 8, with Halliday as DM.

I always thought Jack was seen as a DM.

He's got quite a good touch, and passes forward more than I expected. 

Going by how fluid we were, I can see Ejaria fitting in quite nicely: he can play a variety of positions in Midfield.

12 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I thought it interesting Jack came on to play further forward, as an 8, with Halliday as DM.

I always thought Jack was seen as a DM.

He's got quite a good touch, and passes forward more than I expected. 

Going by how fluid we were, I can see Ejaria fitting in quite nicely: he can play a variety of positions in Midfield.

I don’t think Jack will get a game at DM now McRorie has established himself in that role.