[FT] Rangers 2 (Murphy 23; Tavernier 90+2 pen) - 0 FC Shkupi

What we need more than anything is real competition for Morelos. If he wants a place in the team he needs to start hitting the net. Otherwise I'm struggling to see the point of him.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Correct, depending on what Tavernier was being asked to do.  If he was being asked to provide support going forward and, effectively, overlapping, then the right sided CM should have been covering for him - if Tav was overlapping then the likelihood is the right winger is the one who has the ball and who he is overlapping... given that the right winger cant really be the one to cover as they both need to support the other - which is where the right sided CM comes in.

The way we played is exactly how we are supposed to. Tav and Flanagan have to move I side and keep narrow. It's part of the reason we have two clean sheets. The space out on the wings isn't the danger it's space in the middle that is. So long as players track back well and the back four stays narrow and closes space we will lose less goals.

1 hour ago, trublusince1982 said:

The way we played is exactly how we are supposed to. Tav and Flanagan have to move I side and keep narrow. It's part of the reason we have two clean sheets. The space out on the wings isn't the danger it's space in the middle that is. So long as players track back well and the back four stays narrow and closes space we will lose less goals.

It is one of the most basic things in football.  When the play is on the other side of the pitch (say down your left) your right sided defender comes in to narrow the pitch and offer support/cover to the right sided CB.  When you get a long sweeping ball to the other side that defender now looks "out of position" - but he isn't, he was in the correct position.  But now he needs to reposition as he is now the focal point of your defence.  All that happens there is that everyone "shifts" one position again, this time to the right.

One thing though - you are only looking at this from the defensive side of the ball... not sure why you quoted me but it should be noted that the post you did quote is actually talking about defending after play breaks down whilst in an attacking phase - they are two different areas of play.  Non-comparable really.

It isn't difficult and it isn't rocket science. 

Not sure why you were quoting me right enough :D

1 hour ago, craig said:

It is one of the most basic things in football.  When the play is on the other side of the pitch (say down your left) your right sided defender comes in to narrow the pitch and offer support/cover to the right sided CB.  When you get a long sweeping ball to the other side that defender now looks "out of position" - but he isn't, he was in the correct position.  But now he needs to reposition as he is now the focal point of your defence.  All that happens there is that everyone "shifts" one position again, this time to the right.

One thing though - you are only looking at this from the defensive side of the ball... not sure why you quoted me but it should be noted that the post you did quote is actually talking about defending after play breaks down whilst in an attacking phase - they are two different areas of play.  Non-comparable really.

It isn't difficult and it isn't rocket science. 

Not sure why you were quoting me right enough :D

Was quoting you as your making out what we are seeing is an error. It's not it's mirrored on both sides and the intended fashion. 

Not aimed only at you. It was a common theme throughout the crowd last night with people screaming at Tav and Flanagan to get wider and close the space. We are purposefully diverting the play down to the wings then we box it off. The phase change happens after the play has moved wide not before.

Not back home for another week but some interesting comments re players.

basically all players in the team should be responsible for tracking back/covering and until I have seen a game and will reserve judgement although I am not a Windass fan and it seems posts indicate Candieas was played out of position.