[FT] Rangers 3 (Morelos 52; Katic 57; Bruce o.g. 62) - 0 Wigan

Good win won’t do confidence any harm. Much better second half than first however I am always reluctant to read too much into friendlies.

Windas, Jack & DJ weren’t involved. We’re they injured?

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

"We own the pitch, we own the stadium.".

I like this.

"Don't wait for me for a bollocking from me at half time, do it yourselves"! The guy just oozes confidence, authority and class #Letsgo:rfc:

Edited by cooponthewing

The clip of Gerrard from Spain while watching them training always stuck in my mind. The bit about "crazy little jogs"

It was from there I deduced that he would take nothing but 100% in every game and anyone who isn't giving it will quickly know about it.

The latest comment about "don't wait for me for a bollocking" simply enhances my belief in him.

I'm sure that all of us will have been impressed with the manager's interview there.  He's just a simple, no nonsense, straight talker.  Brilliant!

As I'm reflecting on our games so far, I have noticed a few things.

1.  The manager has them confident.  They look like winners.  I can't explain it, but there's something in the way the players are carrying themselves that looks different.

2.  We are tough now, and don't look like being bullied.  At last!

3.  If the game isn't going according to plan, the manager seems willing and able to change it, either by changing the players, or by giving them a roasting and getting a reaction.

4.  The team (from Morelos back to the goalie) looks like it wants to defend our goal as if their lives depend on it.

These are obviously positive improvements, but we just don't know how improved we are yet.  I strongly suspected after that Osijek game that we were in good shape, given that we beat such a strong technically gifted team away from home.  And then after the game yesterday I was convinced that we can manage games even when we are not playing so well (as we saw in the first half).  It's all positive but we have no real comparison until we play Aberdeen.

When I found out we were playing Aberdeen first I wasn't sure if that was good or bad in terms of timing, but now I just can't wait.  We need that game.  SG needs that game, because only then can he/we have any real idea of how much the team has improved.  If it goes well, the manager and players (and us of course) will take confidence and press on.  If it doesn't, he will have some time to make the necessary changes or improvements.

Im sure you'll all have noticed this, but there's a quiet sense of confidence about Rangers (the club and the supporters) at the start of this season.  There's no big talk of winning titles, or beating any specific teams.  We've all been guilty of that before (with me leading it in many cases), but this time things seem different.  For once, I feel like we are all just allowing the football on the pitch to do the talking for us.  Afterall, it's saying all the right things at the moment.

34 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I'm sure that all of us will have been impressed with the manager's interview there.  He's just a simple, no nonsense, straight talker.  Brilliant!

As I'm reflecting on our games so far, I have noticed a few things.

1.  The manager has them confident.  They look like winners.  I can't explain it, but there's something in the way the players are carrying themselves that looks different.

2.  We are tough now, and don't look like being bullied.  At last!

3.  If the game isn't going according to plan, the manager seems willing and able to change it, either by changing the players, or by giving them a roasting and getting a reaction.

4.  The team (from Morelos back to the goalie) looks like it wants to defend our goal as if their lives depend on it.

These are obviously positive improvements, but we just don't know how improved we are yet.  I strongly suspected after that Osijek game that we were in good shape, given that we beat such a strong technically gifted team away from home.  And then after the game yesterday I was convinced that we can manage games even when we are not playing so well (as we saw in the first half).  It's all positive but we have no real comparison until we play Aberdeen.

When I found out we were playing Aberdeen first I wasn't sure if that was good or bad in terms of timing, but now I just can't wait.  We need that game.  SG needs that game, because only then can he/we have any real idea of how much the team has improved.  If it goes well, the manager and players (and us of course) will take confidence and press on.  If it doesn't, he will have some time to make the necessary changes or improvements.

Im sure you'll all have noticed this, but there's a quiet sense of confidence about Rangers (the club and the supporters) at the start of this season.  There's no big talk of winning titles, or beating any specific teams.  We've all been guilty of that before (with me leading it in many cases), but this time things seem different.  For once, I feel like we are all just allowing the football on the pitch to do the talking for us.  Afterall, it's saying all the right things at the moment.

Some good points Gaffer.....An encouraging start and as a manager, Gerrard is a no-nonsense type of guy who has assumed authority quickly and easily. This meaning that the management to player communication should be one that works well.

As was said a while back, we'll be able to make a better more informed judgement after the first 4 league games.

August will hopefully be very busy in terms of games.

We're going to need to bring in more players.

• Frankie changed the title to [FT] Rangers 3 (Morelos 52; Katic 57; Bruce o.g. 62) - 0 Wigan

Really enjoyed watching the game.  There is a definite style of play coming through.  We are dominating the midfield completely, both when we have the ball & when we don't (something that was discussed in the commentary).  When we are in possession, we are moving the ball about with confidence, and not panicking when the opposition gets too close.  There are still a fair amount of passes going astray, but that's where the 2nd area of improvement come in....we are pressuring & closing down the opponent, causing them to make mistakes.  I honestly can't recall the last time I saw our midfield "nicking" so many balls from the other teams toes, without what you could call a tackle.  The opposition looks rattled on the ball and so busy trying to find a pass, that our guys can just dink it away from them.

Overall, I though good performances from everyone.  Middleton can be a wee bit wasteful at times, but that's to be expected...but he more than makes up for that with his energy and drive - I can see him being a regular this season.  Candieas also put in a good show - very reliable out on the right flank.

Jury's still out on Sadiq....very gangly, but I think his height will cause defenses problems - either from set pieces or simply as a distraction.

I think one of the most important things to take from games like this is that even with the number of changes....the team performance didn't notably drop.  There is also a definite consistency in play, regardless of who the opposition is the team know how SG wants them to play, they know their roles etc and they are carrying out that plan.