[FT] Rangers 2 - 0 St Mirren (Morelos, Goldson - McCrorie Sent Off)

10 hours ago, D'Artagnan said:

Concerning how poor Murphy has been in recent games.

He was anonymous yesterday , don't know if he's one of those players that needs the ball fed to him constantly to stay in the game  , it was like playing with 9 men .

2 hours ago, pete said:

One thing is certain. The trend of last season has continued. The referee’s can’t get the red card out quick enough when it comes to Rangers.

Just checked it again ... the St.Mirren - man plays the ball too far forward, McCrorie floors him and foul and yellow should be given. Yet ... Goldson was covering and it was far from as clear cut an opportunity as Windass' was last week. Here a straight red is brandished, last week only a penalty and no card whatsoever.

IMHO, we should appeal and I think we have good chance that it will be reduced to a yellow.

Edited by der Berliner

Gerrard has already conceded it was a red card, so an appeal is highly unlikely.  

If we start moaning about every single decision, we're going to ruin any serious conversations that are needed regarding refereeing.  It was a red card.

I’ve been watching it through and only reached 50 minutes but my observations so far would be;

·         Barisic’s delivery from open play and dead ball is as good as expected and he’ll get plenty assists this season. He’s also strong defensively. However he’s not as tidy in possession as I thought, touch has been heavy and passes not as crisp as I expected (which led to Murphy’s miscontrol and then McCrorie’s foul).

·         Ejaria has actually won the ball back a number of times with good tackles and interceptions

·         Morelos is still an enigma. Sometimes his link up play is great, muscles off defenders with ease and brings in midfielders brilliantly. Other times he is so easy to dispossess, he turns straight into the defenders and gifts them possession. And even when he scores when through on goal with no pressure he still doesn’t strike it cleanly and it kind of bounces in. He really is not a natural finisher.

·         Flanagan is a fantastic addition to the squad but a weak link as a starter imo, will be a backup to Tav and Barisic

·         Coulibaly has been almost anonymous so far, not the superman he was against Maribor. Could be that we were on easy street so he just hadn’t got his adrenaline going. Could be tiredness or injury too. In possession he is a very limited player, he’s been asked to keep it very simple. That’s fine as long as he keeps doing the other side of the game.

·         Goldson has provided that aerial threat we’ve been lacking for so long. Goals from headers are vital imo for a Rangers team looking to win the league. There’s always going to be time’s that plan a and b don’t work and a header bails you out. Or it just gives you a cushion and lets you relax like today. Could have been a very different game without that second goal.

21 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

Early days, but some grumblings about Ejaria have been noted....

Coming on here, it seems the bucket might have passed onto Murphy. Anyway, we haven't seen Ejaria long enough to have any real say about him ... and we seemingly strolled it yesterday, so why hare after this or that player and a non-high-octane performance for a full match? Given what I saw from the Russian highlights, Morelos should have had more than a hattrick ... but we won so let's move on.

NB Regarding the Red card ... it is about consistency by the officials here. If they get away with rubbish, they won't improve their work.

Seeing the red card on telly last night don’t think Goodson was covering had the opponent controlled the ball. The ball clearly moved by the opponent well away from a goal scoring position just before the foul. Yellow card but also agree we can’t cintest everything and in this instance I can see why a below par referee would award red. 

19 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I’ve been watching it through and only reached 50 minutes but my observations so far would be;

·         Barisic’s delivery from open play and dead ball is as good as expected and he’ll get plenty assists this season. He’s also strong defensively. However he’s not as tidy in possession as I thought, touch has been heavy and passes not as crisp as I expected (which led to Murphy’s miscontrol and then McCrorie’s foul).

·         Ejaria has actually won the ball back a number of times with good tackles and interceptions

·         Morelos is still an enigma. Sometimes his link up play is great, muscles off defenders with ease and brings in midfielders brilliantly. Other times he is so easy to dispossess, he turns straight into the defenders and gifts them possession. And even when he scores when through on goal with no pressure he still doesn’t strike it cleanly and it kind of bounces in. He really is not a natural finisher.

·         Flanagan is a fantastic addition to the squad but a weak link as a starter imo, will be a backup to Tav and Barisic

·         Coulibaly has been almost anonymous so far, not the superman he was against Maribor. Could be that we were on easy street so he just hadn’t got his adrenaline going. Could be tiredness or injury too. In possession he is a very limited player, he’s been asked to keep it very simple. That’s fine as long as he keeps doing the other side of the game.

·         Goldson has provided that aerial threat we’ve been lacking for so long. Goals from headers are vital imo for a Rangers team looking to win the league. There’s always going to be time’s that plan a and b don’t work and a header bails you out. Or it just gives you a cushion and lets you relax like today. Could have been a very different game without that second goal.

Agree with a lot of that but don’t forget our midfield are playing with 10 v 11. Coulibally did fine for me but overall we give the ball away too easily in midfield and Morelos but then he was getting tired as well and did a lot of running. 

Im a wee bit concerned about Katic. He will develop but coulibally and jack are definitely needed in front of the CH pair. Better teams in Europe and the Tims will catch them flat footed without further development. I’m sure Flanagan will be a  starter in most games but where we need to press (eg Tims) I’d go with Tav.