[FT] Rangers 2 - 0 St Mirren (Morelos, Goldson - McCrorie Sent Off)

13 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Not so fast, Philosophe....I am sure that, while handicapped by an early dismissal,  outplaying and taking points from other teams is naught but complete, and utter, disrespect. 

Yep, and how glorious that the team actually earns the right to that disrespect. Long may we be disrespecting even more of them.

Gerrad has come out said that the red card was also earned so we wont be appealing that one but he wasn't so pissed off with McCrorie as he was last week with Morelos. Last week when Morelos came walking off Gerrard wouldn't even look at him but with McCrorie he put an arm around him.

But the fact is McCrorie was at least attempting a challenge during play which Morelos was not.

St Mirren were in for a hammering today going by the great performance up until the red card, even after we went down to ten men we could have and maybe should have scored again. This team looks a solid unit, every player runs their heart out, Morelos especially, the wee man is on fire again. I'm definitely not getting carried away so early in the season, but? 

Ability, confidence, work rate and togetherness is all there, they're gelling and it's going to get better, the runaway Steven Gerrard locomotive is gathering pace, choo choo.

It is still early days yet but the signs are looking good. A year ago we'd have crumbled if we'd got a man sent off after 30minutes but today was totally different. We looked comfortable with 10 men against what was basically just a team of SPL journeymen.

However I've got 2 concerns:-

1) the squad is still light. We need more cover in certain positions. CB especially

2) Morelos excellent start to the season won't have gone unnoticed. If we got a realistic offer could it be turned down ? Is that why we're looking at Lafferty? If Morelos goes he's the shoe-in replacement ?

7 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Morelos excellent start to the season won't have gone unnoticed. If we got a realistic offer could it be turned down ? Is that why we're looking at Lafferty? If Morelos goes he's the shoe-in replacement ?

Sadiq looks like he could be a real handful when he gets up to speed.

It really feels like we are on the brink of something special this season.

St Mirren were in for a long afternoon but unfortunately the red card knocked the wind out of our sails. However as mentioned above even with 10 men we were comfortable.

I still hope to see Lafferty, Solanke and another CB join. As I remain unconvinced by the maverick that is Umar Sadiq.

Onto the game....

Definite red card for me.  St Mirren got away lucky with that red card because had McCrorie not been sent off then that could easily have been a cricket score - we were looking very good.  But even after the sending off we were very comfortable.  Aside from clipping the top of the bar St Mirren didn’t threaten at all.

Coulibaly... sign him now.  What a unit that boy is.  Scott Brown will have his toughest game against us in years when he faced that boy.

Barisic, oozed class.  Solid defensively and always looking to get forward and help the attack.  Loved how he was constantly looking to create angles and time the run in behind.  His 1st time deliveries were wicked as well, very hard to defend.

Goldson, Katic and Flanagan were rocks all game.

Ejaria has some excellent touches - decision-making at times is suspect but that will come with experience.

Kent is direct but, like Ejari, his decision making can be suspect.

Murphy a willing runner all day

Morelos.  What is there to say ?  Wee man is clearly oozing confidence again and puts in an incredible shift on behalf of the team.  Also looks like he is enjoying life at Rangers again.

Still early days but there really is a great deal to be cautiously optimistic about.

For how early we are into the Gerard era , and given the number of new players brought in, I honestly don’t think that things could have gone any better.

I haven't seen it again but from memory Goldson and McGregor were between the player and the goal.  Having said that, it was a challenge he was never going to win.  Needs to do better.

Edited by Blue Moon

Anybody got any clips from a different angle from the rather strange one SSN chose to show for the McCrorie foul. From my seat I was fairly sure that Goldson was covering, the striker over hit his touch and so was never going to be able to score, and it should have been yellow. My doubts are accentuated by SSN only showing one close-up angle which doesn’t show any context or panorama. 

We we were looking great up till then and I thought we would go on to run up a big score. 

Worried about Coulibaly limping off, definitely going to need him at full strength on Thursday. 

Is Sadiq just a modern Ted McMinn? Doesn’t seem to have a clue what he wants to do when in possession! Not sure if he’s going to be amazing or a Sebo!

Barisic was excellent, Morelos is back to his best, Goldson outstanding today as was McGregor.