[FT] Maribor 0 - 0 Rangers

I don't think SG will be happy with that performance last night....compared to recent games we didn't control the match as much & weren't pushing forward as much.  This almost invited Maribor onto us.

However, the flip side of that being that the defensive performance was excellent.  They did manage a couple of close chances, but for the most part we coped very well - especially Shagger!!!

bring on the next round, which I'm pretty confident of negotiating well.

41 minutes ago, Darthter said:

I don't think SG will be happy with that performance last night....compared to recent games we didn't control the match as much & weren't pushing forward as much.  This almost invited Maribor onto us.

However, the flip side of that being that the defensive performance was excellent.  They did manage a couple of close chances, but for the most part we coped very well - especially Shagger!!!

What we did was get in the way of Maribor and find a way to get through the tie.

SG will be very happy with that, it's all that mattered.

Maribor aren't that great a side BUT their strong suit in Europe in recent years summer qualifiers was that they found a way to get through ties. We basically beat them at their own game and we did it with an almost new squad and significant players out injured/suspended.

53 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Did you watch his interview?  one thing about Gerrard is that if he has any constructive feedback to give he is not shy is mentioning it.  he was happy with last night.

3 minutes ago, Craigy1881 said:

Did you watch his interview?  one thing about Gerrard is that if he has any constructive feedback to give he is not shy is mentioning it.  he was happy with last night.

Maybe didn't put my thinking across to well.

Overall, he'll be delighted, but I think behind the scenes he'd of wanted us to have more control over the game - as we had in the 1st leg & in other games.  Our level of possession was notably lower than previous, which ultimately puts more pressure on the defense & forces us to work harder.

I think the whole team will take positives from the defensive approach that they had to take & there were some VERY, VERY sweet bits of one-touch passing play.

The bottom line is that we walked away with a result that suited us, another clean sheet & still undefeated.

Just now, Darthter said:

Maybe didn't put my thinking across to well.

Overall, he'll be delighted, but I think behind the scenes he'd of wanted us to have more control over the game - as we had in the 1st leg & in other games.  Our level of possession was notably lower than previous, which ultimately puts more pressure on the defense & forces us to work harder.

I think the whole team will take positives from the defensive approach that they had to take & there were some VERY, VERY sweet bits of one-touch passing play.

The bottom line is that we walked away with a result that suited us, another clean sheet & still undefeated.

Coulibally's absence made this probable.

3 minutes ago, buster. said:

What we did was get in the way of Maribor and find a way to get through the tie.

SG will be very happy with that, it's all that mattered.

Maribor aren't that great a side BUT their strong suit in Europe in recent years summer qualifiers was that they found a way to get through ties. We basically beat them at their own game and we did it with an almost new squad and significant players out injured/suspended.

I agree. Better teams than Rangers have gone there over the last 2/3 years and didn't get better than a point.

The best part about last night for me that was it continued our momentum. Momentum is key in football (especially with new teams) and the fact that the players were determined to get through the tie shows us a lot about what SG has managed to get through to the team this early. For example, you get the impression that the defenders would be gutted to give away a chance to the opposition never mind lose a goal. I like that attitude.

I know it's early but it's giving me the same feeling I had back in the 86-87 season when Souness put his stamp on Rangers after 7/8 years of dross. That season we started slowly and surely (with a few initial hiccups) but the signs were good and we gained momentum thanks to our improving domestic form (2 OF wins including a League Cup win) and a confidence boosting unbeaten UEFA cup run (Boavista, Borussia Munchengladbach). After that there was no stopping us and the momentum carried us to the end of the season.

I would say calling Rangers  'Glasgow Rangers'  is a bit like in golf calling the Open the 'British Open'.......there's the U.S. Open, The Scottish Open etc etc, and there's the 'Open'...............................there's  Queens Park Rangers,  Berwick Rangers,  Stafford Rangers,  New York Rangers,  the Texas Rangers etc etc......then there's us, Rangers........super Rangers!