Rangers staff risk stoking sectarianism hints Glasgow council boss Susan Aitken

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

That’s the first really interesting thing I’ve read for several pages. The problem I have is that I haven’t the slightest idea what “for football’s sake” actually means. It seems such an innocent and obvious statement but, in fact, the more I think about it, the less I understand it.

Oh come on for football's sake is simple IMO it is for the actual sport of football,competing against other teams,applauding your team's work etc..

Closing your mind to obscene chants and joining in with complimentary ones and being a true fan.

If we all stuck together, we could fight our detractors.

Of course, that will never happen, so we're easy prey for the BBC, the SNP and whoever else wants to have a pop.

We can theorise and discuss it until we're all dead but it won't change a bloody thing.

2 minutes ago, Big Jaws said:

I agree with you on all of the points you've raise. The support wont boycott simply because the Club hasn't defended them. Of course I was presenting a hypothetical argument and drawing attention to previous fan actions that I felt were important as they set a precedent at the time due to circumstances on the pitch and until Stevie G's appointment, IMO, was looking like a distinct possibility again.

The argument I was making only half addresses the issue of the Club taking the support for granted centring mainly around team performance or lack there of but I would have thought that should those issues have arisen then it would also likely contain the pertinent aspects of the lack of support from the Club towards the fan base too. 

I would hope so BJ. If the fans feel maligned by the club then they should take action. I'm with you 100% on that.

Just now, MacK1950 said:

Oh come on for football's sake is simple IMO it is for the actual sport of football,competing against other teams,applauding your team's work etc..

Closing your mind to obscene chants and joining in with complimentary ones and being a true fan.

That’s a reasonable view, thanks. I didn’t make the post to do anything other than explore seriously the meaning of the phrase, which it seems to me is actually quite deep and complex. It also seems to encompass much of the essence of this wider debate. I think it’s far from facile or obvious.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

If we all stuck together, we could fight our detractors.

Of course, that will never happen, so we're easy prey for the BBC, the SNP and whoever else wants to have a pop.

We can theorise and discuss it until we're all dead but it won't change a bloody thing.

If we talk politics then we won't all stick together.

If we talk about football, we might.

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

Look, I’m an intelligent person and if all you can respond with is banal guff then let’s leave it alone. Sorry I made a mistake.

Are you deliberately being abrasive mate? Banal guff? Am I not tribal enough for you?

Edited by Soulsonic5791

Just now, buster. said:

Maybe some sense coming into the topic,let politics take care of itself,also religion and let's wait for reaction to the club 1872 correspondence.

7 minutes ago, buster. said:

This thread is about politics.

We disagree on everything.  Josh Windass.  Away strip colours.  Pre match songs.  That's three straight off the top of my head.

If people don't want to discuss the political aspect, the thread title's a giveaway.  Just avoid it.  

I don't go onto the ladies football thread and ask for it to be closed or tell people I'm not interested.  I just ignore it.  

Edited by Gonzo79

4 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

This thread is about politics.

We disagree on everything.  Josh Windass.  Away strip colours.  Pre match songs.  That's three straight off the top of my head.

If people don't want to discuss the political aspect, the thread title's a giveaway.  Just avoid it.  

I don't go onto the ladies football thread and ask for it to be closed or tell people I'm not interested.  I just ignore it.  

Don't take everything so literally.