Rangers staff risk stoking sectarianism hints Glasgow council boss Susan Aitken

48 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

That's quite a leap from everyday twitter maddies to elected officials. I'm not saying there are not suspect twitter feeds out there with agendas but to tar all SNP elected officials in central Scotland with the same brush is silly

I should have said West Central Scotland.  My apologies.

On post #300 in this thread I tried to make some sense of what I was reading.  I'm assuming from the lack of reactions to it that either it was a poor piece of writing (won't be the first time) or it just didn't help the argument that many on here want to have.  What I've read since just demonstrates that our club is heading downhill fast and that is so disappointing and worrying to me.  What some people have written on here about their fellow fans actually disgusts me.  I wish I hadn't read it.

What is apparent is that our support is completely divided.  For most clubs around the world, beating their rivals is what it's all about.  It would appear that this isn't enough for many of our fans.  There are now apparently conditions to supporting Rangers and therefore our ability to attract fans in other countries is limited, and although it won't put me off supporting my club, it certainly makes me wary about instantly forming a bond with others who are Rangers fans.  It is likely however to put off others.  If I was a young guy looking for a team to support and I read this thread, I would quickly realise that I don't meet the conditions and would then look elsewhere.  Is that what we'd want?  In fact, I think we've reached the root cause of our earlier question about why politicians don't shout about being Rangers supporters.  I'm proud of my club but utterly embarassed by some of my fellow fans.  Maybe politicians feel the same way.  I now can't blame them.  The hypocrisy on here is unlikely to be rivalled.  I thought about pointing it out but as with post #300 I've realised there's no point.  This thread is not about logic or debating that a point of view is right or wrong.  This thread is now about strong beliefs, not facts or rationale.  People are so entrenched that debating this is impossible, despite the best efforts of some members earlier.  This is now just a slagging match.  Maybe that's why some people come on to Gersnet, but it's not for me.

To quote many of our managers in the past "this has been a bad day at the office".

7 hours ago, Big Jaws said:

Thats a foolish strategy for them to have adopted without at least a cursory glance at the past. If they had minded the past then they definitely wouldn't be using such a strategy because they'd be aware of Rangers fans staying away from games on numerous occasions. I don't know if you remember the John Greig, Jock Wallace debacle with Tommy McLean, Alex Totten and even Walter having to step in after Wallace was sacked before Souness was appointed. I personally don't remember it being an open public campaign in the way the Mike Ashley one has been. From my perspective it was more like a murmur that circulated the supporters buses and associations that resulted in reduced crowds particularly at Ibrox.  

I was meaning that the club haven't exactly been proactive when it comes to defending the dignity of the support in light of sustained attack BJ. It always seems to be reactive as others have mentioned. But it is too easy to be misinterpreted in terms of context so I'll leave it at this:

What I was getting at is that the support are highly unlikely to desert the club because it doesn't vehemently defend the reputation of the fan base as a cultural entity within Scottish life. I think that the club lazily rely on that. That said, there have been some instances lately whereby the club recognise that this stance won't wash for much longer. But it is still too reactive for me.

Stevie and some of the new players are manfully trying to set agendas though and that is a welcome change at least.

Casting my mind back to the early to mid 80's has some bitter sweet memories and the disarray of the chairmanship of John Paton is best left there mate, as young as I was.

9 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

What is apparent is that our support is completely divided.  

90-10 split isn't really a complete division.  It's a huge majority and a fringe group.

6 hours ago, Walterbear said:

...forgot to mention the silence as our players were pelted with coins. Just see the reaction if the reverse happens at Ibrox. Btw. Our players should refuse to take corners if that is happening. The previous game our player asked for help from the ref who ignored him, as did the commentator and the BBC. It has become acceptable for fans to physically assault Rangers players at Porkheid, Fir Park and Hampden. 

Do you reckon the Police have been politicised to such an extent that anything to do with Rangers, whether that be players on the pitch or fans inside and outside stadia, are not afforded the same levels of protection as fans and players of other clubs or are treated differently to their detriment Walterbear?

2 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Where did you get the 90/10 figure from? 

It's hard to tell cos SNP voting Bears rarely admit it amongst Rangers fans.  

I've only met two who have admitted it openly and they only go to a couple of games a season and are fairweather fans.

I'd say it's nearer 95/5.

13 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

On post #300 in this thread I tried to make some sense of what I was reading.  I'm assuming from the lack of reactions to it that either it was a poor piece of writing (won't be the first time) or it just didn't help the argument that many on here want to have.  What I've read since just demonstrates that our club is heading downhill fast and that is so disappointing and worrying to me.  What some people have written on here about their fellow fans actually disgusts me.  I wish I hadn't read it.

What is apparent is that our support is completely divided.  For most clubs around the world, beating their rivals is what it's all about.  It would appear that this isn't enough for many of our fans.  There are now apparently conditions to supporting Rangers and therefore our ability to attract fans in other countries is limited, and although it won't put me off supporting my club, it certainly makes me wary about instantly forming a bond with others who are Rangers fans.  It is likely however to put off others.  If I was a young guy looking for a team to support and I read this thread, I would quickly realise that I don't meet the conditions and would then look elsewhere.  Is that what we'd want?  In fact, I think we've reached the root cause of our earlier question about why politicians don't shout about being Rangers supporters.  I'm proud of my club but utterly embarassed by some of my fellow fans.  Maybe politicians feel the same way.  I now can't blame them.  The hypocrisy on here is unlikely to be rivalled.  I thought about pointing it out but as with post #300 I've realised there's no point.  This thread is not about logic or debating that a point of view is right or wrong.  This thread is now about strong beliefs, not facts or rationale.  People are so entrenched that debating this is impossible, despite the best efforts of some members earlier.  This is now just a slagging match.  Maybe that's why some people come on to Gersnet, but it's not for me.

To quote many of our managers in the past "this has been a bad day at the office".

We don't live in a vacuum and are a reflection of our times.  To say our support is divided on political grounds is true of every support anywhere. I don't see why we can't have a civilised discussion relating to the thread.  For what it's worth I believe there are more serious issues around than the one we are discussing.   

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

90-10 split isn't really a complete division.  It's a huge majority and a fringe group.

I would say it is a 20-20 split and 60% don't give a shit but if you want to believe that 90% of Rangers Supporters think like you then roll on in your belief. Just don't get disappointed when you find you are wrong.