2008 We knew it, now proof

4 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Is anyone surprised at this ? All Liewell was doing was trying to get his team an advantage to win the league.

I’d expect our CEO or MD to do the same if it were the yahoos in the UEFA cup final. 

No you wouldn't Rab. No one would stoop as low as Reid, except another tim !!

Funnily enough I didn't think of Celtic when I heard of this story, my first suspicion was Dundee Utd and Thomson. The fact it could have been anyone of half a dozen tells it's own story. 

To be fair to Peat he was trying to assist the Scottish club in a European Final, like a normal football person would. Ironically if it's ever revealed who it was they'll probably lionised by their own support. 

18 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Funnily enough I didn't think of Celtic when I heard of this story, my first suspicion was Dundee Utd and Thomson. The fact it could have been anyone of half a dozen tells it's own story. 

To be fair to Peat he was trying to assist the Scottish club in a European Final, like a normal football person would. Ironically if it's ever revealed who it was they'll probably lionised by their own support. 

I think it's fairly obvious......................."Prominent Chairman" = John Reid

He was far and away the most prominent chairman amongst the likes of Thomson and Petrie.

Only Reid would have thought a personal phonecall might carry enough weight to be acted upon.

Is Reid small minded, yes.

See his cheap shots at Rangers when attending  the Celtic AGM. 

Edited by buster.

2 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

The word “prominent” is a heavy clue, is it not?

I was about to say the same.

The Chairman, himself, was prominent; Peat did not phrase it as the Chairman of a prominent Club. 

The smart money might just favour Reid. 

Thomson was pretty high profile at the time too. He was on the SPL board and loved a press release and interview and had Jim Spence operating as his personal fluffer. I don't think he was Dundee Utd Chairman though, think he was MD or similar. 

Look, Celtic had the most to gain from our fixture congestion and were clearly at it as the fabled trip to Japan proved. I just think of Reid as being a cannier operator, I assume he'd get someone else to do his dirty work for him, arms length deniability and all that. But it would hardly be a big shock if it was him. 

22 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Thomson was pretty high profile at the time too. He was on the SPL board and loved a press release and interview and had Jim Spence operating as his personal fluffer. I don't think he was Dundee Utd Chairman though, think he was MD or similar. 

Look, Celtic had the most to gain from our fixture congestion and were clearly at it as the fabled trip to Japan proved. I just think of Reid as being a cannier operator, I assume he'd get someone else to do his dirty work for him, arms length deniability and all that. But it would hardly be a big shock if it was him. 

Go outside the Scottish football bubble and nobody knows Thomson or any of the others,....only the ex-cabinet minister qualifies as "prominent" IMO. 

Having the ginger toilet brush as a PR consultant made him a decent shout for a joke appearence on Still Game,..then he may have reached a slightly more prominent standing :D

Edited by buster.

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

He would simply have denied it. He’s a politician. Politician = liar.