[FT] Rangers 4 - 0 Ayr Utd (Aberdeen v Rangers in semi-final)

Madden is useless. 

A couple of Ayr players made some hard tackles several times, without a booking -- which is fine -- but what annoys me is that Grezda is on for two minutes, makes his first tackle of the game -- no worse than what we've seen -- and he's booked straight away. 

13 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Madden is useless. 

A couple of Ayr players made some hard tackles several times, without a booking -- which is fine -- but what annoys me is that Grezda is on for two minutes, makes his first tackle of the game -- no worse than what we've seen -- and he's booked straight away. 

Exactly.

I counted at least three tackles worthy of a yellow and it's no wonder Morelos had a go at Madden.

Just now, onevision said:

Exactly.

I counted at least three tackles worthy of a yellow and it's no wonder Morelos had a go at Madden.

Sorry but it doesn't exuse ill-discplined stupidity when consequences for team going forward were clear.

It's not about either or,.......... Madden can have a poor match and Morelos can be stupid at the sametime.

Yeah, let's criticise Morelos for something that happens 10 times in a game and because he does it he's stupid? He's offered no protection and he's meant to sit there and not say anything and not react when the ref presumably tells him that he's wrong?

He's had 2 perfectly good goals chopped off and been sent off incorrectly.

He's just being human.

24 minutes ago, Frankie said:

The booking for Morelos was an absolute joke.

The tackle on him could easily have broken his ankle and a foul wasn't even given.  It's no wonder he was upset and I defy anyone not to act in a similar fashion.  For Madden to book him for the kind of 'dissent' we see several times in any one game was laughable.

Should Morelos have known better?  Maybe but it's clearly he's now a marked man by the officials in Scotland and that's worthy of more comment.

Again, it's not an either or and in the real world you have to deal with reality rather than go on about injustice.

Excuse Morelos, fine but you can expect more of the same reactions from both European and Scottish referees to his style of dismissive physical gestures. When I saw his reaction in Ufa, it was clear he had given the ref a decision to make and as the camera panned elsewhere, the crowd noise confirmed the inevitable. Had the rest of the team not dug in that night, the reaction to him would probably be very different now.

I saw the clip of the arm gesture in front of the ref. last night and I just shook my head. Regardless of what went before, the reality of that unnecessary gesture was that we'd be without decent centre-forward options for a semi-final.

I've went on about not being able to trust Morelos from prior to the Aberdeen game when I said the players needed told not to do anything stupid / react because it was the type of game that often sees a red card and the sheep players would be dangling bait. It's not important the card was rescinded, the reality was that the damage was done because he took the bait.

Since then it was a stupid red in our most important match of the season thus far.....and in most games I've watched he's been very much on the edge of further action with some of his antics. Yes, he is a marked man, that's reality and if he doesn't adapt, reality is that  he'll continue to cost us.

Edited by buster.

SORRY CALL

Rangers 4 Ayr 0 – Ian McCall says referee Bobby Madden plans to call him and apologise for failing to award his side a penalty

The Honest Men were thrashed at Ibrox but McCall believes his side should have been given a spot-kick when Gers were just one goal in front

AYR UNITED boss Ian Mccall says Bobby Madden is set to phone him and apologise for failing to award his side a penalty.

The Honest Men went out of the Betfred Cup with a bang as they lost 4-0 against Rangers at Ibrox.

Ayr found themselves a goal down after just 16 minutes when Nikola Katic fired in the opener before Glenn Middleton doubled the home side’s lead on the half-hour mark.

But McCall believes his side should have been awarded a spot-kick prior to Middleton’s goal after Alan Forrest was hauled down in the box.

However, he admitted Rangers deserved the victory.

He said: “I thought 4-0 was a fair reflection of the game. 

“We felt we should have had a penalty at 1-0. It was a clear penalty and Bobby says he will phone us to apologise, but it could have ended 4-1.

“The only disappointing thing from our point of view was we felt three of the goals were really cheap.”

Meanwhile, the SPFL could be forced to move either Celtic or Rangers’ semi-final clash to Murrayfield.

The Glasgow sides are both in Europa League action on Thursday October 25.

And with a last-four tie set for Saturday October 27, chiefs could be forced to seek permission from Scottish Rugby to play one tie in Edinburgh on Sunday October 28.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3268753/rangers-ayr-ian-mccall-bobby-madden-penalty/

5 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

And with a last-four tie set for Saturday October 27, chiefs could be forced to seek permission from Scottish Rugby to play one tie in Edinburgh on Sunday October 28.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3268753/rangers-ayr-ian-mccall-bobby-madden-penalty/

If that is the preferred solution, shouldn't provisional permission already have been sought prior to the draw.

Edited by buster.

Buster ... I would assume he has been talked to by the management, but he won't change his behaviour in days, weeks or even months. Especially in circumstances like this. IMHO, he's got that "Ian Black" - sign over him and refs will book him for less than what others do. Likewise, some refs do have a certain authority problem. Less so in football than in ice hockey, where they are seemingly untouchable and thus, over the time, get ideas of grandeur. Semi-gods on the park. IMHO, Madden and Thomson belong to that category. Halliday was up with Morelos and Madden instantly and tried to talk sense, but Madden's mind was made up. It wouldn't be as serious if he'd regard similar fouls and tackles in the same way, but he doesn't and that is what upsets people and players alike.

Thus, we should perhaps refrain from calling him an idiot or being stupid. He's simply human and will learn. Others have gone through successfull football careers and biting people ... that's where it gets problematic and mental.

Edited by der Berliner

2 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Buster ... I would assume he has been talked by the management, but he won't change his behaviour in days, weeks or even months. Especially in circumstances like this. IMHO, he's got that "Ian Black" - sign over him and refs will book him for less than what others do. Likewise, some refs do have a certain authority problem. Less so in football than in ice hockey, where they are seemingly untouchable and thus, over the time, get ideas of grandeur. Semi-gods on the park. IMHO, Madden and Thomson belong to that category. Halliday was up with Morelos and Madden instantly and tried to talk sense, but Madden's mind was made up. It would be as serious if he'd regard similar fouls and tackles in the same way, but he doesn't and that is what upsets people and players alike.

Thus, we should perhaps refrain from calling him an idiot or being stupid. He's simply human and will learn. Others have gone through successfull football careers and biting people ... that's where it gets problematic and mental.

It was revealing when SG said a week or two back that the more he talked about keeping discipline, the more red cards etc. seemed to come. Whilst slightly tongue in cheek, I think there was a degree of understandable frustration in that comment.

Stupidity is the appropriate word and I think it's clear that Morelos isn't for learning this lesson anytime soon.

It's a balance,  because he can be a cracking player and the manager doesn't have many options to work with, he's pretty much got to fully back him and cross his fingers.