[FT] Rangers 3 (Morelos 43, 90+4; Tavernier 84 pen) - 1 Rapid Vienna

1 minute ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I thought Ejaria was the stand out last night. He's always on the turn and looking to get forward which I like. It doesn't always come off but if you keep knocking at the door you'll get something (the penalty for example).

Looking at the bigger picture, my biggest "concern" is how narrow we are and our us of wide players/full backs. If Kent and Candeias (or whoever) are playing in this narrow formation we really need to get our full backs hitting the byline (as Man City utilise so well). I said it another post but I cannot recall any occasions in the last few games where our full backs actually hit the byline and get crosses into the dangers area (back post/6 yard line/penalty spot). If we can crack that Morelos would score a barrel load.

Another thing I have noticed, is that there are too many times of late when we have resorted to the hopeful "floaty" ball into the box which drives me friggin crazy. Another bug bear is McGregors distribution. I noticed a few times last night Goldson having a go at the keeper because he was too keen to go long. This was after Goldson making an angle for a pass with no one around him. It's giving up the possession too easily for me.

Anyhoo, it was a great win and 2nd half display. Well Done Rangers

It is very difficult to hit the byline when teams sit so deep.  Generally we prefer to make our crosses from less advanced positions and it is effective when the delivery is good.

McGregor's distribution is OK - I agree he could be more efficient but if there's a longer ball on then fair enough as Tav and Flanagan are useful in the air when he knocks it wide.

Just now, Frankie said:

It is very difficult to hit the byline when teams sit so deep.  Generally we prefer to make our crosses from less advanced positions and it is effective when the delivery is good.

McGregor's distribution is OK - I agree he could be more efficient but if there's a longer ball on then fair enough as Tav and Flanagan are useful in the air when he knocks it wide.

Fair enough but any team will do more damage when their crosses/passes are from the byline and more advanced positions. I agree that crosses from less advanced crosses can be effective but our success rate of late has been poor and it's a "hopeful" tactic for me. If teams are sitting deep, we just need work out how to negate this or we are going to have a lot of away games like Livingston IMO.

With regards to McGregors distribution, it is good but for me he is too keen to go long. Even last night he visibly gestured that he wanted to go long and in turn he punted it nobody.

Excellent win and a really good 3 points in terms of the group.

Didn't see the game but from most accounts, the players that were under a degree of scrutiny (eg. Worrall and Morelos) came to the party and put in very good performances. In so doing, showed that SG's confidence was well placed. I notice SG held off with the subs and given how things turned out, a lot of kudos goes to him and his staff for that.

47,500 at the game along with the UEFA win bonus must mean the thick end of a gross 2M for last night which is great for the club news aswell. The result, atmosphere and state of the group should ensure happy supporters with an apetite for more when the Russians come calling towards the end of this month.

Now it's about recovery and sorting ourselves up for a very difficult game on Sunday against the league leaders, who have had all week to drill into their team, what will be an organised opposition.

I came on here happy and now I feel like slashing my wrists. The most impossible thing in the world must be making Rangers supporters happy. We talk about the media being negative about us. Jesus!

6 minutes ago, pete said:

I came on here happy and now I feel like slashing my wrists. The most impossible thing in the world must be making Rangers supporters happy. We talk about the media being negative about us. Jesus!

if you feel like slashing your wrists now what were you like when Charlie Green had control of us? We are all suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder; it will take time for us to completely heal!

11 minutes ago, pete said:

A tad OTT Pete. Everyone is delighted with last night but I still think it's fair to assess the performance in terms of the wider picture and how the team is developing.

Interesting match. Rapid started better but Rangers got into it more as the first half went on. Second half Rangers continued to improve but Rapid fell away a bit. 3-1 a fair reflection of the play. Some good football and some elementary mistakes from both sides.

Rapid tried to win. I wonder if Hearts will. It’s a better spectacle when both teams have a go. Makes it easier for one of them to win but not a pragmatic approach if you’re an SPL manager.

2 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

if you feel like slashing your wrists now what were you like when Charlie Green had control of us? We are all suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder; it will take time for us to completely heal!

If shots on goal is the only barometer on how we are playing then why did laudrup, Gazza  and all those Rangers legends of the past not have 12-20 positive shots on goal every week. I think some  Rangers supporters forget we have an opponent to break down. Teams don't just stand and say let Rangers play good. A few years ago we were happy to beat Alloa and Brechin City and now we are punching it out with the sub-top teams in Europe. Even Alfredo looks happy so let's join him.