The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

16 hours ago, DMAA said:

This is way over the top. He has it all to prove as far as im concerned. A good dribbler and lots of pace but his end product has been poor all season. I’ve already pointed out that with far fewer minutes (800 fewer) Middleton has 2 more assists than Kent and 2 more goals. 

But that's a very simplistic view to take - admittedly, assists and goals are objective comparables - however, something that I think you are missing is the degree of variability in play, as well as defensive assistance.

I like Middleton, so lets get that out there immediately - however, he is still too much of a "one-trick pony" - that isn't a slight on the lad but he, generally, has been a "get it, push it past the defender and then beat him for pace" type of player - over time that becomes fairly easy to defend.  He also lacks defensive discipline to assist the full-back when needed.  In fact, defensively, he looks like a headless chicken at times (the Motherwell game a perfect example).

Kent, on the other hand, offers better defensive coverage to the full back and has far more discipline in that sense.  He also has variability in his play - he is comfortable with both feet and often cuts inside - it makes it a nightmare for defenders to defend against when they know that someone is equally comfortable on either foot AND equally happy to play inside OR outside the defender.

Personally I feel Kent is the better player but Middleton most definitely has a bright future.  I would like to see us with both of them in all honesty - and I think Kent could eventually become that "10" that we need - he has the trickery and pace, just needs the decision-making to go with it.

10 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm looking for the unexpected from Stevie G and the board and I would say this season they provided that. How many of us expected to be in in the EL group stages plus going into the Winter break challenging for the title after not just winning but totally dominating in a game against the yahoos? 

Even now they're still surprising me with the signing of the likes of Defoe. So, illogical as it may sound, in the mean time I'm going to continue expecting the unexpected.

But you cant look at one game in isolation.  Sure, we absolutely pumped Celtic - but a couple weeks prior and we couldn't beat a 10-man, bottom of the table Dundee.

Making the CL group stages is far more difficult than making the EL group stages.  Sure, we have improved but so too will pretty much any opponent we could face.  And that is even before considering that Celtic are still favorites to win the league this season.

Don't get me wrong, your optimism is contagious - however, a splash of realism is often required too.

We may not even have Davis OR Defoe when CL qualifying comes around, assuming we can actually beat Celtic to the title.

6 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Really? Because he skinned Lustig? Everyone can skin Lustig. 

I think that's going too far. Kent's a good player, with good skills, but his final product is average. I'd certainly like to get him permanently, for a modest fee, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the future star of our team.

He skinned Brown too, making him look like an amateur in the process  He also skinned Ralston.

5 hours ago, buster. said:

IMO, if Middleton played instead of Kent, we probably don't make the EL group stage and that would mean approximately 10M revenue down.

Also, if Middleton had played the OF game instead of Kent, then Halliday would be having nightmares about now as he would have had little back-up on that side of the pitch, and especially as Halliday isn't the quickest player in the world.

5 hours ago, DMAA said:

Because he’s not worth that. Time will tell but I don’t see Championship clubs clamouring for him at the end of the season, I still think he’s a £2m player and although I like him I wouldn’t spend cash like that on him. 

Mate, there are players down south who have never played a first team game before, but are on the books of "the big 6" who are being sold for more than 10 million.  Solanke for 19 million ?  

I hope you are right in that Liverpool don't see him being worth 5 million - but in the English market, plus the fact he has played with us and done reasonably well, in Europe and against Celtic, will have him worth more than 5 million IMHO.

1 minute ago, craig said:

Mate, there are players down south who have never played a first team game before, but are on the books of "the big 6" who are being sold for more than 10 million.  Solanke for 19 million ?  

I hope you are right in that Liverpool don't see him being worth 5 million - but in the English market, plus the fact he has played with us and done reasonably well, in Europe and against Celtic, will have him worth more than 5 million IMHO.

Yeah I agree with this, I can't see us getting Kent other than on an extended loan deal.  We'll simply not be able to afford the transfer fee that will come with him.

59 minutes ago, craig said:

But that's a very simplistic view to take - admittedly, assists and goals are objective comparables - however, something that I think you are missing is the degree of variability in play, as well as defensive assistance.

I didn't make a positive claim about who is better. I was responding to the claim that basically Kent is the finished article and the master who Middleton needs to aspire to. The stats prove my point as far as I'm concerend that Kent has loads of work to do on his end product and Middleton (despite rustiness in his game and what seemed like a confidence dip) has still easily outdone him in far less time where it really matters for a left forward, providing goal scoring chances and taking them yourself. And I predicted that would be the case when Kent got injured too.

He's a clinical finisher which Kent is certainly not, and a very good crosser which we saw with his assist against St Johnstone. I like Kent and want him to improve but I have my doubts that he has the technical quality required to provide the number of assists Rangers need long term from a winger/forward left player. I would say Murphy does have that technical quality and has been a major loss this season.

Kent seems keen to stay with us, and we seem keen to keep him ,so we make an offer based on our market, not the English one.

We have good relations with them , so offer some sort of buyback deal to Liverpool, job done.

Edited by Franc Ergs
spelling