[FT] Kilmarnock 2 - 1 Rangers (Defoe 12)

11 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

McGregor

Goldson - Katic -Halliday

McCrorie - Jack

Candeias - Davis - Kent

Defoe - Morelos

3 minutes ago, buster. said:

McGregor

Goldson - McAuley - Katic

Tav............McCrorie.............Barisic

Davis...........Arfield

Defoe.....Morelos

I honestly don't think CB is a strong enough position for us to have 3 on the park, especially considering we haven't had our best ones available all the time. I think we're stronger with Jack, Davis and Arfield retaining their places and sticking with 2 CBs. And I agree with Frankie that we're very unlikely to ditch the new system after one failure after presumably a number of weeks of working on it. I honestly think the game would have been so different if it wasn't for Worrall's blunder because it turned the game on it's head.

8 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

I concur with Barisic, but Tav is far too ineffective going forward, by his standards, and Candeias does a lot (as in: enough) of backtracking to allow for dropping the captain.

Tavernier puts chances on a plate for our strikers all the time, as the assits stats show. His cross which Morelos hand balled in was sublime last night, it was a shame it was just a yard ahead of him. He is also brilliant at linking up with the midfield. For me, Tavernier is title winning quality and Candeias isn't despite being a good player to have.

17 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

I concur with Barisic, but Tav is far too ineffective going forward, by his standards, and Candeias does a lot (as in: enough) of backtracking to allow for dropping the captain.

Tavernier's contribution has been waning for a while now and on more than one occasion he's been the weakest link. The excuse before the break was that he had played too many games and needed a rest. Well that excuse isn't valid any more.

23 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Tavernier puts chances on a plate for our strikers all the time, as the assits stats show. His cross which Morelos hand balled in was sublime last night, it was a shame it was just a yard ahead of him. He is also brilliant at linking up with the midfield. For me, Tavernier is title winning quality and Candeias isn't despite being a good player to have.

It is all about opinions, but IMHO, his reputation of importance relies on the odd brilliant pass or cross. Over the course of the last 30odd games, he has accumulated quite a bit, no doubt about that. But then you watch him play week in and week out and he has so many crosses and passes and free-kicks that go astray that this overall credit needs to be quetsioned. No doubt about his workrate, but in games when you need telling stuff, in a 3-5-2, I'd rather have Candeias as the "WING-back" than a "by his standards mediocre" Tavernier. Make it a 4-4-2 and have these two work their magic on the right, no problem. There always is room to accomodate players of a certain ability. In a 3--5-2 with Jack and McCrorie "standing guard", Tav IMHO is not required. On the other side, Barisic whips in dangerous cross after cross, corner after corner. If only he could stay fit and form some sort of partnership with Grezda, Kent or Middleton.

Yeah, we've had too many hard luck stories now this season.

We need to get the job done against these teams without stupid mistakes and take our chances with the minimum of fuss.

No more excuses.