[FT] Hibernian 1 - 1 Rangers (Candeias 43)

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

One main difference I see is last season I couldn't believe we came away with 3 points (Aberdeen, Partick etc.), whereas this season I can't believe we don't come away with 3 points (Aberdeen, Hibs x2, Motherwell etc.). :D 

Have to say the formation and set-up looked very effective last night. It’s just a shame the players lacked the quality to kill off the game. 

You have to the look at the club and the football operation in general to get a better idea of improvement or otherwise.

IMO the club is still recovering ground little by little, looking to provide a more solid business base, from which the Football Operation continues to develop and modernise, including encouraging work on the Academy.

The First team recruitment and squad is still relatively limited by the fact we are way behind on the finances and the distance of 8 points is probably a fairly accurate reflection. It has also been limited by what was called a period of 'infrastructural failure' which we are still paying for (but TBF may be balanced off with a fee for Alfredo Morelos).

The recruitment of Steven Gerrard was a coup for Dave King. A brave and imaginative appointment that quickly paid out with European Group stage qualification. The rest of the season was always going to have teething problems but we still have the Scottish Cup to go for. The litmus test for SG&Co is improving levels of consistency next season. I wouldn't be too bothered to miss out on European Group Stage football for a season if it helped us mount a serious title challenge. 

Bottomline, we are in a much better place but still have a way to go.

The respective accounts of us and them illustrate the problem, probably moreso than the league table.

14 hours ago, DMAA said:

Have to say the formation and set-up looked very effective last night. It’s just a shame the players lacked the quality to kill off the game. 

While I would agree with that, how many games this season have we seen us tearing defences and players a new one, only to fail to convert chances? Given that we have Kamara and Jack/McCrorie/Coulibaly available now, why not go 3-4-3 every now and then, not least when the opposition does not pose a threat? Throw in Defoe or Lafferty in-behind Morelos, having another goal-scoring option. We e.g. sure lack the threat from the edge of the box that Lafferty provides, as well as someone picking up the pieces in the area when too many balls who go astray are mopped up be defenders.

13 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Maybe we criticise certain players when they have a wayward shot but at least they have a go which is a better end than passing the ball to death and losing possession.

If my TV / PC screen will ever learn how to speak, the first word that comes out will be: "SHOOT!!!!!!" (in German) ... followed by some curses.

On 09/03/2019 at 15:53, DMAA said:

How much closer? After 29 games we are 1 point better off than at the same stage last season. The season we had Caixinha and Murty, it’s pretty humiliating.  

If you really think it is humiliating then I think you need to get a grip.

We also went 4 rounds further than Caixinha in Europe.

The league points total is not a measure of success in itself.  It's only relevant when considered within the context of our league position.  If you compare the league tables between this season and last it is a mixed bag of results.  Ultimately it won't be good enough until we are either in a real title race at the end of the season or strolling it.  To characterise it as humiliating is nonsense though.

9 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

If you really think it is humiliating then I think you need to get a grip.

We also went 4 rounds further than Caixinha in Europe.

The league points total is not a measure of success in itself.  It's only relevant when considered within the context of our league position.  If you compare the league tables between this season and last it is a mixed bag of results.  Ultimately it won't be good enough until we are either in a real title race at the end of the season or strolling it.  To characterise it as humiliating is nonsense though.

I meant that fact alone is, given its been with a much stronger squad that’s had 8  million or so spent on it. I think we will finish with a much higher tally but it’s hard to believe we’re there at the moment.