The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

I get nervous when we start talking about average players in terms of "must have". They mostly never deliver as much as we think. I'm all for Ryan Kent having a role at Ibrox but only at reasonable cost, never at the expense of funding the wider squad of players.

Kent has the same flaws as Candeias had, too often the final ball isn’t good enough, he doesn’t shoot enough, he doesn’t score enough, he doesn’t create enough.

The difference is Kent is at the start of his career, not in his 30’s, so would be a re-sellable asset if we bought him.

A true value for him in his current level of ability, around the £2M mark, no more. If Liverpool want more, we move on. I have said it dozens of times, we don’t get value for money by buying in the English market, we can only sell to it.

Its getting to the stage I hope he signs for some English team just so we can move on from this never-ending story.

7 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Kent has the same flaws as Candeias had, too often the final ball isn’t good enough, he doesn’t shoot enough, he doesn’t score enough, he doesn’t create enough.

The difference is Kent is at the start of his career, not in his 30’s, so would be a re-sellable asset if we bought him.

A true value for him in his current level of ability, around the £2M mark, no more. If Liverpool want more, we move on. I have said it dozens of times, we don’t get value for money by buying in the English market, we can only sell to it.

Its getting to the stage I hope he signs for some English team just so we can move on from this never-ending story.

That's it exactly.

I get the feeling that Kent, judging from his latest social media activity and previous comments over weeks may be in dispute with Liverpool about his next move. Klopp has been giving him high praise recently but is he likely to feature in a Liverpool first team? Probably unlikely.

So his remaining options are loan or transfer and could the public praise of Klopp for Kent be made with one eye on a selling price? What if for whatever reason Kent has it in his mind that all he wants this season is back to Rangers and Liverpool currently aren't agreeable to such a move?

Well presumably they can't force him to go anywhere he may point blank refuse to go either sold or loaned and speculating that it has or will reach that point what next? If they don't need him for the first team would they go to the extent of potentially ruining this young prospect by keeping him in a limbo of not playing at all? Or playing at some lower level totally unconducive to his development such as say development squad level?

He has another 3 years on his Liverpool contract wouldn't it best for all parties to agree to another year on loan at Rangers and take another year to deal with the issue permanently?

Now obviously that's all sheer speculation but I feel there has been at least tentative evidence from multiple resources that it's not too impossible a prospect.

I wouldn't read much into a footballer's social media account(s) with regards to his future career.  

I agree with Tannochsidebear's post and really hope we don't spend a lot of money to bring Kent, who often flattered to deceive, back.  We need someone who can regularly play a killer pass and add to the goals tally and Kent doesn't do either.

Sources from Liverpool said right at the beginning of the summer that the plan was to sell as many fringe players as possible to raise money for the first team. A lot of click bait between now and then but here we are back back where we started. Hope this puts the endless talk to bed. 

Interesting that SG seemingly asked Morelos to either commit his immediate future to us or let us (or the management) know that he won`t.

Thing is, we have but three recognized strikers and injury and suspension may reduce these numbers rapidly.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

I get nervous when we start talking about average players in terms of "must have". They mostly never deliver as much as we think. I'm all for Ryan Kent having a role at Ibrox but only at reasonable cost, never at the expense of funding the wider squad of players.

I understand your point, but I think our young player of the year was better than average, and in my opinion we still have a problem with balance on that left side.  I think Ojo, Arfield and Stewart are all strong in that advanced midfield role but all seem to prefer the right hand side.  I'd prefer Kent to come back for that left side, but if it's not him it needs to be someone else.  Of course i do agree that someone can grow into the role but that means we are off to a slower start.  It's the only part of the first team that I'm not happy with.  We all see things differently and in this occasion I really hope I'm wrong about this.

p.s.  I actually think the left side could be our strongest side.  I think the balance of Halliday and Aribo is excellent.  If we can nail that advanced role we could really do some damage.