signing rumours

Guest stuarty66

Players may want to win things but they want to play and don't want better players than them coming in for their positions, it's human nature. Many a player has left a winning team to a team that wins less trophies when he's not getting a game - as long as he gets the same or better wage...

Also I don't think they would complain too loudly about other positions as it's insulting to their team-mates many of whom will be good friends. I'm sure they wouldn't want to do that and it would be hard to live down in the dressing room.

So while they may secretly want to be guaranteed to play in a better team where they are the best in their position, I find it hard to believe they are loudly discussing it for the above reasons.

...Unless it's banter of course.

The one exception could be Barry as he's a bit up his own arse so he probably can't imagine there is a better player than he and he doesn't seem to mind insulting other players.

So sorry, but I totally disagree.

Calscot, you said the player's rumour stinks - but the rumour merely was that the players had been discussing the lack of activity and that they had been told to not expect any major signings. Your subsequent post said the rumour stank but then threw out players and sarcastic hypothetical comments about them wanting to be challenged in their position.

That part of your post bore no relevance to the players rumour - you created a debate about the players rumour out of something which wasn't there i.e. the rumour was completely different to what you suggested it was in your post.

Happy to stand corrected if wrong

Craig, the impression I got, possibly false, from the posts, was that Rangers players were concerned about the lack of activity and were discussing those concerns openly.

I thought that smelled a bit fishy due to the reasons I've given. We have a mediocre squad, I don't think many of them deep down want high class competition for their places.

Would you ever be concerned that your company wasn't trying hard enough to head-hunt far better staff to do the same job as you and your colleagues?

Would you ever be concerned that your company wasn't trying hard enough to head-hunt far better staff to do the same job as you and your colleagues?

To be honest, NO I don't - because I have the confidence in my own ability that I can stave off any competition for my job.

This is the attitude that the current crop of players SHOULD have (even though we all know they aren't up to the job) but they don't have.

Thing is though, another way of looking at it, Hutton would definitely want to see better midfielders or strikers at the club, Ferguson would love to see better defenders or strikers at the club and Boyd would love to see better defenders and midfielders.

So the players being disappointed at the lack of activity isnt a rumour that stinks - it is just that they want to see better players for every other position except their own (which is what I think you were getting at) - that still means the rumour doesn't stink - they DO still want better players, just dont ask them if they want better players to compete with them for their position.

To be honest, NO I don't - because I have the confidence in my own ability that I can stave off any competition for my job.

This is the attitude that the current crop of players SHOULD have (even though we all know they aren't up to the job) but they don't have.

Thing is though, another way of looking at it, Hutton would definitely want to see better midfielders or strikers at the club, Ferguson would love to see better defenders or strikers at the club and Boyd would love to see better defenders and midfielders.

So the players being disappointed at the lack of activity isnt a rumour that stinks - it is just that they want to see better players for every other position except their own (which is what I think you were getting at) - that still means the rumour doesn't stink - they DO still want better players, just dont ask them if they want better players to compete with them for their position.

I see what Craig and calscot are saying but the bold bit above is where the management should come in to erase any doubts.

If Walter turns round to Boyd and says keep your chin up you are part of our plans than he is going to be confident in his own ability, but he may still want better players in other positions.

But if he isnt good enough it would be bold of a man to accept that he isnt good enough for Rangers first XI and admit a better man should come in.

Its also about the desire to win. From a personal point of view if my best mate was in the same team as me but he just wasnt good enough id want a replacement to come in to improve the team. That guy would still be my mate after hours.

Bottom line is the team hasnt won anything for 2 years so that tells me they arent good enough so improvements need to be done all over the park. That doesnt mean replacements that means the current crop improving also. So the players attitude should be how to resolve the situation regardless if they will start next season or not.

Craig, I'm sure your shit hot, but like the fastest draw in the west, someone faster eventually comes along. The fact is unless any of us are genuinely world class at our jobs, there are better people out there. In football it can be more apparent. There's plenty of players out there that are better than we have. We know it, so I'm sure they know it.

But in any case it's natural for people to dislike high turnover of staff, especially with people passing through who think they are the next Pele and using the club as a stepping stone. I would guess most like a settled team.

There's plenty of high performing top class players that have been unhappy about the purchase of a new flavour of the month for their position.

They may do, but are they going pipe up with, "Oi Boydy, you're just not quite good enough, we really need the gaffer to bring a proper striker who isn't so lazy and does more than pop up and score the odd goal..."?

I just can't see it.

My Sunday league team want to do better but some are not completely happy about a few new players who are pretty good that are joining the team next season.

So the players being disappointed at the lack of activity isnt a rumour that stinks -

I really think it's the use of the word, "stinks" that you are finding hard to swallow. I'm sure I actually said, "stinks a bit", which was meant to mean, it smells fishy or a bit like horse manure.

it is just that they want to see better players for every other position except their own (which is what I think you were getting at) - that still means the rumour doesn't stink - they DO still want better players, just dont ask them if they want better players to compete with them for their position.

OK we agree on that score, but maybe I'm naive in thinking most would be reluctant to slag off their team mates, even if they don't like them.

I would expect that most would "welcome" new players, but they would be a tad disrespectful to their team, management and board, to be disgruntled that not enough have come in yet. Especially when the transfer window has plenty of opening time. It also smacks of blaming everyone but themselves.

The last time any player loudly voiced those type of opinions, he was rightly out on his ear in double quick time and lost all kudos with the fans - that was Craig Moore.

I see your points Craig but I've a tiny bit of faith that the players might be a bit more tactful than to start these rumours - maybe I'm not cynical enough.

But to me it doesn't take the players much professionalism, just a bit of street wisdom...

Maybe so calscot about them not wanting to slate their fellow players - but every player, not just at Rangers, will cover himself by simply saying "I would love to see better quality players at the club" - it covers them because none of their team-mates will know who they are getting at as it could be 11 positions (although likely 10 as they won't want someone to come in for their position) so they cover their tracks.

As for me.... you were probably closer to describing me if you just finished with "I am sure you are shit" - the word "hot" was abit redundant ;)

Maybe so calscot about them not wanting to slate their fellow players - but every player, not just at Rangers, will cover himself by simply saying "I would love to see better quality players at the club" - it covers them because none of their team-mates will know who they are getting at as it could be 11 positions (although likely 10 as they won't want someone to come in for their position) so they cover their tracks.

As for me.... you were probably closer to describing me if you just finished with "I am sure you are shit" - the word "hot" was abit redundant ;)

I was astonished you new 11 minus 1 was 10 not bad for an accountant.:P