Your Current Starting XI

Agreed. However the wage bill must be eye-watering and unsustainable, so sadly quite a lot of our options need to be removed.

The other worry is that how do our young academy players feel when there are several experienced players in front of them. SG has always talked about a pathway to the first team, which I think is exactly right.  With the current squad numbers how does a McPake Mayo Mebude etc even get on the bench? 

On 12/07/2019 at 08:20, buster. said:

McGregor

Tav - Goldson - Helander - Barisic

Davis - Kamara

Ojo - Arfield - Jones

New

Biggest difeerence is that there are lots of options for different types of games.

My XI above would be for a game against Hamilton (A)......Aribo was difficult to leave out.

You could probably select 3 or 4 different sides/formations and you'd be confident of them doing a job.

Over to SG&Co to make the right calls at the right time.

Interesting to hear SG mention the 3-5-2 yesterday.

Very difficult to come up with a line-up given the number of options in the middle.

McGregor

Katic - Goldson - Helander  

Tav - Davis - Kamara - Barasic

Arfield

Defoe - New

Edited by buster.

Ooh, yes! Now my mind is going through possible back-three line-ups.

Did he say 3-5-2 specifically, or merely back-three? If it's the latter, I think he'd want to keep that narrow front three. 

McGregor

Goldson - Katic - Helander

Tavernier - Kamara - Aribo - Barasic

Arfield - Ojo

Morelos

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Ooh, yes! Now my mind is going through possible back-three line-ups.

Did he say 3-5-2 specifically, or merely back-three? If it's the latter, I think he'd want to keep that narrow front three. 

McGregor

Goldson - Katic - Helander

Tavernier - Kamara - Aribo - Barasic

Arfield - Ojo

Morelos

May well have been "back-three" !

Edmundson may be considered if better with the ball at his feet.

We have some decent CBs and a very good goalie, which allows Tav and Barisic to focus less on their defensive duties.  The problem might be keeping the four CBs happy - I doubt any of them want to sit on the bench most weeks.

For a midfield five, I'd go:

Tav Kamara Barisic

Arfield Aribo

With Ojo playing just off Morelos or Defoe.

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

We have some decent CBs and a very good goalie, which allows Tav and Barisic to focus less on their defensive duties.  The problem might be keeping the four CBs happy - I doubt any of them want to sit on the bench most weeks. 

You are right but IMO the team needs a settled central defence when possible.

It's not an area that should be tinkered with too much, unlike say the midfield combinations.

Goldson was a guaranteed starter last season and there's no way we're spending £3m on a squad player, so it looks like Katic and Edmundson will be waiting in the wings, unless we play with a back three.

Edited by Gonzo79

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:23, Gonzo79 said:

Looking at the various proposals, one thing is becoming clear.  We are capable of fielding a pretty decent team for the first time in nearly a decade.

I agree, I look at this side and it matches up well against the other lot across town. It's just the reliance on Defoe that worries me. I would bring in another forward to lead the line with Defoe as back up.

Have to say I was impressed with Edmundsson with the ball at his feet. Initially thought it was Katic and he’d improved his passing and touch. It’ll be interesting to see how he does more generally because he seems a very decent addition. 

Edited by DMAA