The Winter 2019/20 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

8 hours ago, craig said:

I would actually go as far as saying I would prefer Katic to Helander anyway.  Katic is more physical than either Helander or Goldson and is an actual threat at attacking set plays as well.

I too would prefer Katic to Helander. But if the manager continues going with Helander when he's fit then I have to accept that he knows more about football than I ever will and that there must be a very good reason for it.

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I too would prefer Katic to Helander. But if the manager continues going with Helander when he's fit then I have to accept that he knows more about football than I ever will and that there must be a very good reason for it.

This is a football forum, people are supposed to believe they are right and anyone who disagrees (including the manager) is an idiot. Unless I’ve been doing it wrong. 

Edited by DMAA

Reports from the DR that Barker & Jones are headed for the exit in order to allow Gerrard to bring 1 in. They claim Barker is on 10k a week, criminal if true but I very much doubt that. 

If we could bring in one quality attacking midfielder I would be in favour. Kent aside we went for quantity over quality in that position in the summer, not that it has done us much harm. 

I'm firmly in the 'Helander is better than Katic' camp. 

Katic is better in the air and is a goal-threat at set-pieces; Helander is better with his feet and better at reading the game - and it's not just booting it out: When Helander reads the game, we tend to keep possession, and start attacks; Katic just boots it out. I prefer the latter. 

I do love the guy [Katic]; there's a lot to admire in his passion and aggressive style. If he could combine that with better positional sense, and be able to play a pass, then he'd be some player.

To be fair, he can still learn that. 

18 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I'm firmly in the 'Helander is better than Katic' camp. 

Katic is better in the air and is a goal-threat at set-pieces; Helander is better with his feet and better at reading the game - and it's not just booting it out: When Helander reads the game, we tend to keep possession, and start attacks; Katic just boots it out. I prefer the latter. 

I do love the guy [Katic]; there's a lot to admire in his passion and aggressive style. If he could combine that with better positional sense, and be able to play a pass, then he'd be some player.

To be fair, he can still learn that. 

Manager is on our side on this one. Helander very often doesn’t get his due because of the cult hero status of Katic. 

Edited by DMAA

Both have their strengths and weaknesses but I think Helander might have been more useful the other day as he does tend to use the ball better.

In saying that it wasn't always the case Katic or Goldson had options with both having to resort to longer balls.  Those can work with Morelos in the team but not as much with Defoe, as clever as he is with his back to defenders.

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Manager is on our side on this one. Helander very often doesn’t get his due because of the cult hero status of Katic. 

I don't disagree with that but to be fair to Katic, he's done very well since coming back into the team and will only get better with experience.

A word for Goldson as well, who, IMO has been one of our best players over the last couple of months.

3 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I don't disagree with that but to be fair to Katic, he's done very well since coming back into the team and will only get better with experience.

A word for Goldson as well, who, IMO has been one of our best players over the last couple of months.

Agree with that. I’m all for praise of Katic as long as it’s not accompanied with comments about Helander who has been an excellent signing.