Rangers appoint DUP councillor as Head of Communications and Media Relations

22 minutes ago, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

Your expectations and base of your argument are completely wrong 

You’ve come to a conclusion and stand point because you think something will happen and be our strategy 

Well it isn’t and you are wrong 

We'll see. Hope I am. 

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

Out of interest, what do you think our PR strategy should be and how do you think it should be delivered?

This is the big question that I'd love to see answered.  All opinions would be welcomed.

As I see it, we have tried bridge building behind closed doors.  Some of it has worked, in particular with the compliance officer, however most of it seems to have been wasted energy.  We have also tried what appears to me to be a charm offensive.  I was all for this, but it seems to have had no effect, and in fact the media is even more anti Rangers now.  The 'Everyone, Anyone' campaign should not only have attracted some praise, but should also have resulted in a softening of the bigoted and racist hatred directed towards the club, its players and fans.  However this too has failed completely in getting any sort of constructive response from outside the club.  Since it was launched, the racism shown towards Morelos is nothing short of disgusting.

I am all for us trying to do the right thing by being collegiate as the major force in this country, but there comes a time when the energy wasted on this has to stop and we just have to bring out the big guns.  I for one hope that we can bring bigger guns to this fight than our enemies.  It seems that's the only route left now.

Let us get right in their faces to expose the lies, corruption, racism, and bigotry which causes harm to our club and our game.  If this guy can do that, I'm 100% behind that strategy, and him!!

15 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

buster’s back. No bad thing. We all need to have our opinions tested.

He needs to get shot of that bigoted avatar, though.

No he doesn’t.

Good to see you still around Scott ;)3

Day 5 of lockdown in Spain means you´ll have to put up with me !

It´ll probably be the second week before it drives me into The Lounge where I´d guess Coronavirus has already morphed into Corona = Communism for the resident XXXXx :laugh2:

Just out of curiosity, question for @barca72

Re. Orange Order statement that I referred to several times that offered olive branch suggestions (re. marches in Glasgow). Do you know if David Graham hd anything to do with it ?

I ask because I thought it to be an excellent proposal ...although it didn´t receive enough coverage/traction.

Edited by buster.

PR has a reactive and proactive element to it. For the proactive side I feel a large part of it should be about rebuilding the influence a club the size and importance of Rangers should have. That needs to start with the SFA and the SPFL and UEFA. We should also look to have very strong relationships with the main sponsors, potential sponsors and broadcast/media partners for the various leagues and competitions we play in, ultimately they hold a lot of clout so should be a main focus for us. Follow the money, always follow the money. 

Secondly we should be looking to at least punch our weight politically and in greater civic society. That will require forming relationships with individuals and organisations within those realms. We’ve not been good at that for a while now, we need a very different strategy to what has gone before to see any improvements in this. In my experience politicians hate surprises and like to be be seen to have influence and be in the know. Facilitate that as much as we can, build relationships on a personal level and on a corporate level, no matter how unpopular that might be with some supporters. 

Thirdly the media. Whether we like it or not they influence and shape opinion. Anyone who thinks there are no Rangers supporters in the Scottish media is very wrong. There are also a number of people who are not Rangers supporters but are professional enough to do their jobs well. Without the media it is harder to build influence with sponsors for example. So somewhere along the way compromise needs to be found. 

Reactive PR generally requires excellent relationships with the media. For a football club negative PR tends to come from player or supporter behaviour. Having the ability to manage or control to some extent how that’s reported is essential. I think it's all very well keeping Rangers bloggers and podders onside, and they do have influence with the support, however whether we like it or not mainstream media hold far more sway with sponsors and governing bodies, we need them, for now at least. 

That’s my 20 minute PR strategy.

Edit - to achieve that you need people who know the landscape and know the personalities in it. Ideally they've done some, or all of it before somewhere else. These people exist.  

Edited by JohnMc

7 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

War-footing sounds preferable to me. 

Not much fun if you end up running out of ammo....

I think the bigger picture for the board is really about the football team winning the title to stop you know what and to that end, financially putting most and as many chips on Blue for 20/21.

As it stands, Celtic, more or less have us where they want us both on and off field.

We´re probably further behind off field than on, so the only way to really turn things round in a significant way is to win the league and use it as a base to begin another chapter of sorts.

There is a high degree of risk to it but It is now what it is.

One thing for DG to get his teeth into is the possibe award of this season´s title to Celtic without having completed the fixture list.

The aim being to put the asterisk in as bold and large a print possible print alongside it and push a general acceptance that morally it doesn´t count as a ninth consectutive title #buyingtime