[FT] Livingston 0 - 0 Rangers

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

What would yo prefer: a top class player that's not doing what you want them to do, or a below average player that is doing what you want them to do?

Hmm, I'm not sure there is an answer there. Neither was effective. 

My point about Barker is that he's looked a mile off what's required any time he's been used, but he's still getting decent opportunities.

5 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Rangers have scored 47 league goals since Kent's last league assist

I'm not surprised by that.  I still can't believe we spent that much on him.  

With Aribo missing and Hagi not living up to expectations, Kent was our best creative player.  As usual, there were flashes but more often than not there's no end product. 

8 minutes ago, DMAA said:

On that subject, not including goals he has scored himself, Rangers have scored 47 league goals since Kent's last league assist in February 19 vs Hamilton Accies, 28 games ago. He plays in our front 3 and we spent £7m on him to create goals. I said when we signed him that I would be bemoaning his lack of end product and here we are.

That's just a stat you've shoehorned in to fit your own agenda.

1 minute ago, PoohBear said:

Hmm, I'm not sure there is an answer there. Neither was effective. 

My point about Barker is that he's looked a mile off what's required any time he's been used, but he's still getting decent opportunities.

I wasn't suggesting Barker was effective - he wasn't in the end. I think the point is he tries to do the right thing. He's not good enough, yes, but neither were Hagi and Kent in the end. 

He had a very good pre-season, by all accounts, I think. He is obviously showing flashes of ability. As @DMAA says, SG likes that type of player. He seems to have the raw attributes that SG likes and he tries to do the right thing. 

Is he ultimately of the required quality? No. But, why wouldn't you use him? He's trying to do the right things. 

I wouldn't say he has had "decent opportunities" - he only gets a few minutes towards the end - which, arguably, is when his pace can do most damage. 

5 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

How is adding another central defender a more attacking formation?

I prefer 4-4-2, but 3-5-2 is more attacking on that pitch because you have 2 strikers occupying the centre backs instead of 1, and the midfield are largely the same but with less defensive duties because you have an extra centre back behind. Obviously our two most productive players, Tav and Barisic, are also freed up significantly from defensive duties. I think if you compared heat maps afterwards you would find in a 3-5-2 you’re players were much more active further up the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, Franc Ergs said:

That's just a stat you've shoehorned in to fit your own agenda.

It is hardly “shoehorning” when it is on the exact topic I have spoken about with regards to Kent. If it was barely related it would be shoehorning. I said in his first season he just lacks end product, he lacks the vision and passing ability required to get the assists we need from our attacking midfielders. He has a tendency to run into crowded areas instead of hitting the byline. I was repeatedly berated and told “the assists will come”, (more in other places than on here). 

9 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I prefer 4-4-2, but 3-5-2 is more attacking on that pitch because you have 2 strikers occupying the centre backs instead of 1, and the midfield are largely the same but with less defensive duties because you have an extra centre back behind. Obviously our two most productive players, Tav and Barisic, are also freed up significantly from defensive duties. I think if you compared heat maps afterwards you would find in a 3-5-2 you’re players were much more active further up the pitch. 

I think we kind of develop into that on the pitch.

Kamara swerves out to make a situational back three, with Jack in front; We had Arfield and Hagi just in front of Jack; Barisic and Tavernier wide; and Morelos up top with Kent beside him - even if the latter roamed about, he was the one constantly pressing the 'keeper. That's basically a 3-5-2. 

Which plays into my point: it's not the formation, it's the way of playing.  

I completely agree we could go more direct. But, for me, it's as simple as taking off Kent, or Hagi, and bringing on Roofe or Itten. 

But then what's the plan? Is it crosses from the wing-backs? Long passes from deep (Jack, Goldson) into Itten and Morelos?

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

It is hardly “shoehorning” when it is on the exact topic I have spoken about with regards to Kent. If it was barely related it would be shoehorning. I said in his first season he just lacks end product, he lacks the vision and passing ability required to get the assists we need from our attacking midfielders. He has a tendency to run into crowded areas instead of hitting the byline. I was repeatedly berated and told “the assists will come”, (more in other places than on here). 

The stat itself is shoehorned, in that you made that stat up to fit your own agenda.

I dare say if i could be bothered to look into it i could come up with a very positive stat about Kent from yesterday, he was certainly not the worst offender.