[FT] Ross County 3 - 3 Rangers (Diallo 5; Tavernier 49; Goldson 72)

My jaw hit the floor in absolute  disbelief watching our defensive debacle yesterday.  I was going to compare our defence to a sunday league pub team but that would be an insult to the latter.   If we ever needed an advert for our defensive frailties it was there for all to see.   It does concern me that most of the goals we concede are self inflicted.    There have been plenty this season where we have conceded from harmless positions and it must be concerning our manager.   I called out our defence at the start of the season and I'm calling them out again.   Our whole back line is just not good enough.

5 hours ago, CammyF said:

Don't kid yourself, if fit Davis, Jack and Arfield are starters. So it's 5. 

I don't agree with this on Jack and Arfield.  Arfield is clearly squad rotation and has been for some time.  Jack is never fit so it is highly unlikely that any manager will plan for him to be a starter.  Accept it and move on.

Davis has started far more often than I expected this season.  Even so he is an old man and we should be moving on.  Even if the manager considers him a starter for the rest of the season.

5 hours ago, CammyF said:

What an utter pile of crap. How do you know people's financial positions? £45 before payday after Christmas is a lot of money to some people. Just because it's not to you, doesn't mean it isn't to the person sitting next to you. Hardly knicker wetters, what an utter crass ridiculous comment.

And those that were impacted asked for a little more time to pay, sure the vast majority stumped up once they had been paid.

To question the financial support the fans give the club is ludicrous - it's often taken for granted but it is unwavering.  

It wavers all the time.  I'll start alerting you to it every time I notice it.

I don't know anything more than what people announce in public.

If the person sitting next to me mentioned that 45 pound was a lot then I would give him, or her, some free advice.  Can you guess what it is?

6 hours ago, CammyF said:

They did but continue to do so not being in CL and after losing the league by 25 points. If they can, why can't we?

Celtic sold two players, that I can think of just now, last summer.

The fees were undisclosed but both reportedly 8 figure fees.

One of them had nine winners medals whereas the other had seven.

5 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

We're two points clear at the top of the league. 

I don't think that this is something to feel too good about.

We were in this position earlier in the season and I realised then that this was deceptive.

We have played Celtic once at home and beat them.  If the old firm matches are all won by the home team and both teams replicate previous form against the rest of the league then Celtic will win the league.

Our record against the rest of the league is worse than Celtic's record against the rest of the league.  This has happened despite Celtic having one of the worst ever starts to a league campaign.

The positive is that we have a group of talented players and a promising manager.  The players have acted like losers and frittered away a lead instead of turning the screw.  We know that our players have another level or two that they can go up.  The question is will they do so because now we are in a position where they absolutely need to.

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

I don't agree with this on Jack and Arfield.  Arfield is clearly squad rotation and has been for some time.  Jack is never fit so it is highly unlikely that any manager will plan for him to be a starter.  Accept it and move on.

Davis has started far more often than I expected this season.  Even so he is an old man and we should be moving on.  Even if the manager considers him a starter for the rest of the season.

Arfield plays nore often than not, Jack was almost ever present when they are fit. Not ideal having to replace 1/2 a team in the summer, but looks like that's what we'll have to do. 

Celtic sold two players, that I can think of just now, last summer.

The fees were undisclosed but both reportedly 8 figure fees.

One of them had nine winners medals whereas the other had seven.

Doesn't matter how many winners medals they have, even in a poor league position they continue by low and sell high. We don't (Patterson aside) and have limited players in our squad who could be sold on getting is a large profit. Selling those 3 would massively weaken the 1st team.

Edited by CammyF

It wavers all the time.  I'll start alerting you to it every time I notice it.

I don't know anything more than what people announce in public.

If the person sitting next to me mentioned that 45 pound was a lot then I would give him, or her, some free advice.  Can you guess what it is?

Wavers so much we have record season ticket sales (despite not knowing if we'd get into games for the 2nd season), merchandise sales continue to rise, share issues, I could go on - hardly wavering. The one constant is the financial input from the fans.

As for £45 being a lot, or not, for someone working part-time, on a zero hour contract, full time education, unemployed or not working due to Covid, £45 the payday after Christmas will be pocket change for them.

99% of them will have purchased their ticket. Asking for a few days grace isn't a sign or wavering.

Plenty chose the option to pay their season tickets in instalments, doesn't make their support "wavering" it just suits their financial situation.

Selling Patterson was us starting to do what the yahoos have been doing for years - making a profit on players.  

We only need to make significant profit on one or two players each year - we don't need a whole team of prospects.  It's a balancing act.