I would like to say, I think we may be going overboard with the criticisms of GvB. I think we need to be more specific in what we are criticising. 

He made some changes that improved us. The FB's were played deeper, giving us more protection and solving a major concern at the time. Barisic, at least initially, suited that and performed well. Also, utilising wingers as opposed to two #10s was a good change, providing attacking impetus. 

I think we were all on board with that, weren't we?

The pitchforks are always out after dropped points. I think we were okay against Ross County (after 35 mins, anyway), but three howlers cost us. GvB is not at fault for that. 

Last night it seems to be the passivity of the plan that was at fault; soak up pressure and counter. That plan did work against Hibs and Hearts, away--although last night is a different animal. I don't think it's a bad plan in itself. 

The execution of the plan clearly didn't work -- I suppose he thought that himself with the triple subs, or was that a result of the quick-fire goals before half-time? 

We maybe need to commit to the counter (double pivot etc.), or show more ambition and press, and then get into a possession-based game. 

This is where my thoughts run out. I don't know the solution. 

34 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, I am always a little suspicious of Dutch managers. 

They often do well with Dutch players and teams, because it's ingrained in them to play a certain way from birth. But then take that manager into a team that are not ingrained to play that way and they don't do so well. It's maybe an exaggerated point, but one that I fall back on regularly. 

Van Gaal, for example, does exceptionally well at Dutch sides (Netherlands, AZ, Ajax), and Barcelona--who are similar in the sense that those youngsters are ingrained in a way of playing--but then doesn't quite do it at other clubs (Bayern, Man Utd).   

I was never fully convinced by GvB as an option at the time, but I got on board quickly. My excitement was based on his apprenticeship with Pep, but I've not seen anything of Pep in our games. 

Surely we have a manager that can impose a possession-based style on the team? We don't have bad players, either.

Don't completely agree, this guys done well:

38 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I was never fully convinced by GvB as an option at the time, but I got on board quickly. My excitement was based on his apprenticeship with Pep, but I've not seen anything of Pep in our games. 

Surely we have a manager that can impose a possession-based style on the team? We don't have bad players, either.

When I looked at GVB’s record, it just didn’t merit the level of excitement for me. It seemed based on who he was as a player, which I am always very wary of. One incredible season followed by several average ones (maybe even a little below average).

He has time to turn this around though so I’m not writing him off by any means, there are just some worrying signs there, and they have it together, so there isn’t much room for error now that we’ve handed them a 7 point swing in 2 weeks. 

Edited by DMAA

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

F*ck...

RDT_20220203_1034452830902720586353768.thumb.jpg.e091995344e57db92644a0c12558d2c3.jpg

He deserves that after last night tbh. Ross County I put squarely at McGregor’s feet though. GVB can’t legislate for two inexplicable goalkeeping gaffes in one game. Never mind the one from Bassey. 

Last night the players and management were to blame.

Kent, Barisic and Tav were guff (only Arfield was anywhere close to getting pass marks) and GvB set us up all wrong. 

No positives to take from a huge match.  

10 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

No positives to take from a huge match.  

It isn't much of a consolation but Ryan Jack. He was pulling us back into single handedly and was inches away from scoring a worldie. He had no help at all from the attacking players.