I'm just concerned that GVB isn’t as good a manager as Postecoglou, and I’m not saying that just after last night I was cautious about GVB from the beginning. Even new additions to their team look like they know exactly what their role is and how the system works. I'm just not sure I've seen anything like that with us. 

There's a long season ahead and hopefully the new signings + the returning players (Jack, Roofe, Helander) can give us a boost. 

Edited by DMAA

3 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Witness delusion.

We can't count on Celtic dropping points.

Celtic have a better record against the rest of the league than we do.

If our players think like this, and it appears that they do, then we have no hope.

Time for people to stop thinking, and acting, like losers.

Don`t take it out of context. We all have witnessed this before, in recent seasons and years gone by. Last season, the Scum fell apart after the turn of the year, the two seasons before that, we did. Likewise, form ebbs and flows over the course of the season and the momentum now is with the Scum, yet as I said, neither do they canter to victory each game, nor can anyone tell how the next weeks will unfold. And that has always been the case.

And, BTW, it beggars believe that people lay into Gio and "his tactics" when it is essentially the same formation and personal we had for months and years under SG. It is not the manager`s fault if people crawl into their shell out on the pitch or single-handedly throw games away. He removed those at half-time last night, now it remains to be seen whether he imposes himself on the team sheet and the tactics. You`d hope the return to fitness of Jack and Davis, as well as Ramsey`s arrival well get the engine room back into order - something badly needed for weeks.

Edited by der Berliner

There's nothing wrong with a pragmatic outlook at Parkhead but, if that was the plan (and I don't think it was actually) then you have a double pivot with Kamara and AN Other with Aribo further forward.

Instead we setup with an attacking side which left too many gaps and the midfield/forward players apparently unable or unwilling to do the hard yards required to work through being pushed back.

14 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I'm just concerned that GVB is as good a manager as Postecoglou, and I’m not saying that just after last night I was cautious about GVB from the beginning. Even new additions to their team look like they know exactly what their role is and how the system works. I'm just not sure I've seen anything like that with us. 

There's a long season ahead and hopefully the new signings + the returning players (Jack, Roofe, Helander) can give us a boost. 

Seen someone say somewhere Ange has come in with no help and done just about everything there on his own, scout players, sign players, run training, manage the existing backroom staff etc.

Gio has come here with a big expensive back room and delivered very little outside the first run of games we had. Looks like he has tried to drastically change things during the winter break and he has made things worse.

Just now, der Berliner said:

Man, some should really need to a break from over-analyzing last night and looking to blame someone or something.

Its not just last night though DB, that's the problem. Every game bar Stirling Albion at home had the same theme as last night. There are a few issues here that need fixed as a matter of urgency. 

So is it the players, the coaching staff or both? Because we started the season like this and GvB coming-in gave us a bit of a lift - was that nothing more than the "bounce" you get from a new manager?

I'm really surprised we didn't pony up the cash for Souttar at the start of the window given the injuries we had in the centre of defence. And with Borna a shadow of himself, we could have put Bassey to LB to at least give us a more natural/comfortable backline. If we now have Balogun back, I'd do that switch now and I'd also give McLaughlin a run as we still seem so uncomfortable with balls in to the box from open play or set pieces.

I don't know where to start with the midfield but getting Ramsey in is a no-brainer, along with Jack if his fitness allows. That leaves Kamara, Aribo and Davis, who I know Gio doesn't seem to rate, but I'm starting to wonder if he's been passed over too quickly. I really like Arfield and he brings a few qualities

Up front? Nae idea! But maybe if we sort out the midfield, that will take care of itself?

Can't believe there was no fight whatsoever last night.

That was awful.  We've been humped there before but generally because they had a better team.

Last night was all about attitude and tactics and ours were pathetic (on both counts).  The second half was maybe worse than the first because they let us play and we still did next to nothing.

All in all, that was a fucking embarrassment.  

35 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I'm just concerned that GVB is as good a manager as Postecoglou, and I’m not saying that just after last night I was cautious about GVB from the beginning. Even new additions to their team look like they know exactly what their role is and how the system works. I'm just not sure I've seen anything like that with us. 

Yes, I am always a little suspicious of Dutch managers. 

They often do well with Dutch players and teams, because it's ingrained in them to play a certain way from birth. But then take that manager into a team that are not ingrained to play that way and they don't do so well. It's maybe an exaggerated point, but one that I fall back on regularly. 

Van Gaal, for example, does exceptionally well at Dutch sides (Netherlands, AZ, Ajax), and Barcelona--who are similar in the sense that those youngsters are ingrained in a way of playing--but then doesn't quite do it at other clubs (Bayern, Man Utd).   

I was never fully convinced by GvB as an option at the time, but I got on board quickly. My excitement was based on his apprenticeship with Pep, but I've not seen anything of Pep in our games. 

Surely we have a manager that can impose a possession-based style on the team? We don't have bad players, either.