The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 hour ago, buster. said:

No, both clubs are not going to have the same player. However, there is plenty to back up what I said. It might be unpalatable but to think otherwise is to live a lie.

Look through the fees both clubs have taken in for players in the last few years.

Look through the player trading figures in the balance sheets.

Listen to our own club repeatedly talking about the need to develop the player trading model when over the city it has been up and running for years. Their 'brand' as a selling club is established, they ask for and get relatively premium prices. We aren't there yet.

We have brought players to the club and increased their value.

We have tended to keep them, rather than sell them at an optimal time from a financial POV.

Here there is a debate to be had regards what can be earned on the pitch through the players efforts compared to outgoing transfers.

The emphasis with how the club have continually talked about the player trading model shows IMO its importance and the new UEFA financial rules will make that all the more important.

But we need to act on it and not only talk about it. Bassey's value is high at the moment and if possible, we need to cash in.

The profile of players joining the club is important. What we have seen so far this summer, is a clutch of talented youngsters for the B team, an injury prone 25 year old and two 28 year olds. 

Look at the age profile of the players joining our rivals,...24, 24, 21, 23, 30 (backup keeper).

Over the years we have often brought in experience and it sometimes works for us on the pitch.

However, our business model hasn't worked and we typically rack up an important financial loss. It has been the same for as long as I can remember, since balance sheets were talked about as much as the football.

That needs to change.

You should write a paper on it and submit it to the board.  😀

Anyone know anything about this player?

Loic Tanzi journalist tweeted;

En contacts avancés avec les Rangers Rabbi Matondo fait l’objet d’intérêts de Lorient et Brest qui essayent de le convaincre de signer

6 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

Anyone know anything about this player?

Loic Tanzi journalist tweeted;

En contacts avancés avec les Rangers Rabbi Matondo fait l’objet d’intérêts de Lorient et Brest qui essayent de le convaincre de signer

21-year-old Welsh winger.

On 30 January 2019, Matondo signed for Bundesliga club Schalke 04 for a reported fee of up to £11 million on a four-and-a-half-year deal.

This is more like the profile I want to see! Whether there's any truth in the link is another matter...

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Imo the fact we make losses every year in our accounts will encourage buying clubs to ‘lowball’ us in terms of offers. They don’t have the same financial restrictions as us. We are perhaps perceived as weak financially.

the fact we seem to have accepted far lower than expected for Aribo up front will perhaps only encourage more ‘lowball’ offers. Time will tell. The club do have a plan with transfer strategy it’s just hard to believe in it from the outside.

I would agree with your first point. We are not in the best negotiating position. Even worse when you allow contracts to run down.

What gets me is the apparent lack of firm interest in some of our better players in the last couple of years. Other than a generally depressed market, I don't really understand it.

We appear to have been limited as to what we could ask for Aribo. Although, the reported 60/40 split between fee/add-ons is disappointing, 80/20 would have been more just IMO.

Edited by buster.

6 minutes ago, buster. said:

What gets me is the apparent lack of firm interest in some of our better players in the last couple of years. Don't really understand it.

This is a mystery to me. Our best players (Tav, Kent, Morelos) perform just as good, if not better in the big European stage than in Scotland. So the domestic league is poor so teams don’t want to buy argument doesn’t really stand up if the players perform against top quality opposition.

Add in the fact Italian teams look to be paying decent fees for Doig of Hibs and Ferguson of Aberdeen goes to show that value can be found in our league. Liverpool bought Ramsey and Everton paid big for Patterson.