[FT] Celtic 4 - 0 Rangers

The selection really wasn't the problem yesterday.

The truth is that we are slack.

I can't understand why. We can't coast against other S.P.F.L. sides so why should we be able to against Celtic? That's true even before you consider the work ethic of this Celtic side.

While Kent appealed for a throw in at the first goal I was shouting for him to get his head back in the game and defend. No surprise that a goal followed. I hate watching our players shout at the ref for stuff like that.

No shortage of other examples of the problem.

Kamara looked like he had no idea where he was supposed to be playing or what he was supposed to be doing. To me, he was asked to occupy McGregor but I don't think he got within three yards of him until he was hooked.

But there's no point in moaning about one player or the other - the collective were shameful. utterly shameful in application and desire. For that the manager, needs to read the riot act to not just Morelos it seems.

9 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Don't remember if it was on here(had my Sunday bottle of wine) but it is easy to train players to use the ball quickly from free-kicks/throw-ins etc.I done it with a primary school team in the early 90's.

But much harder to get players to always be alert to defend the quick free kicks/ throw ins…. 

7 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

There's definitely a problem when the players aren't doing the basics.  Not doing the basics resulted in all four goals.  

Quite unbelievable!

Exactly. What I’ve been saying since yesterday.

Basic defending is man-marking. Who was supposed to be marking Abada at both of his goals?

When defending our own box every player must stick like glue to an opponent. Win the personal  battles and there’s less chance of conceding 

That didn’t happen yesterday. 

15 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

There's definitely a problem when the players aren't doing the basics.  Not doing the basics resulted in all four goals.  

Quite unbelievable!

These aren’t a bunch of plumbers and accountants, they’re experienced professional sportsmen. If they’re ignoring basics that should be second nature then there’s a reason and it’s usually found in conflict of one kind or another within the squad. 

1 minute ago, Bill said:

If they’re ignoring basics that should be second nature then there’s a reason and it’s usually found in conflict of one kind or another within the squad

That's the impression I got.  

When a bunch of blokes* are pointing out the Celtc quick free-kick/corner/throw-in tactic in the first two or three minutes but the players haven't picked up on it by full-time, it makes you wonder what's going on.  

*my mates and me and probably Bears up and down the country and at the match.

59 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

That's the impression I got.  

When a bunch of blokes* are pointing out the Celtc quick free-kick/corner/throw-in tactic in the first two or three minutes but the players haven't picked up on it by full-time, it makes you wonder what's going on.  

*my mates and me and probably Bears up and down the country and at the match.

.... and the manager on the touchline!