[FT] Celtic 4 - 0 Rangers

5 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I’ll be totally honest - I take no solace in that at all. I often wonder why this team can body European teams like Dortmund, Leipzig and PSV but shit the bed v them and can’t be bothered beating hibs. There is an attitude problem here and it’s been abundantly clear for some time.

Yeap.

Im gonna tell you right now...Gio lets that shit happen again that should be his ass...he knows better than that.

CL be damned.

Disgusting.

The attitude from the players yesterday absolutely stank, but I just can't believe we've ended up here with this bunch of players, playing the (almost) same formation and making the same mistakes and displaying the same issues we've all seen for the last 3/4 seasons.

Nobody got pass marks yesterday, on or off the pitch and we do need to be a bit realistic about the finances - Celtic are still ahead in that regard because of how long they've been unopposed to get the CL qualification along with their player trading model etc. I also think the size of our squad is probably the main reason we didn't buy any more players. We have various big earners who are either injured or aren't first XI picks.

That was a terrible display from McLaughlin. But most of us thought he was the best option of our 3 keepers and probably still is. Why is McGregor still here? Dropping him was the first big (and easiest) decision Gio had last year and he bottled it. McCrorie or McLaughlin should have been in and we should have either signed a new #1 in the summer or promoted McCrorie and let Greegs and maybe McLaughlin leave. All of that has meant Gio has another tough decision to make and its of his own doing.

Luck hasn't been with us with injuries, but you need a strong spine of a team and in the SPFL in particular, we seem unable to do the basic sort of defending you need to do. We've got away with so many near things over the last 3/4 years - set pieces, corners, long balls etc where you need a couple of centre halves who can just do the simple things well. Goldson's fitness record is incredible, he's been a great servant, but we need better. I was surprised when he re-signed as I'd have been happy for him to go. At some point we need to move on.

Do we ever learn? Are any of the coaching staff not seeing the same things we are?

When was the last time Kent had a few games in a row where he played to the best of his ability? 

Sakala? He's not a striker, he is at least unpredictable when he's playing wide and cutting-in, but he seems to be down the pecking order, so why is he still here?

Helander & Roofe? Still here, on big wages and utterly unreliable over the course of a season.

Morelos & Kent? In to the last 6 months of their contracts. Are either work keeping based on what we know we'll get (or not) from them over the course of a season?

Jack looks done.

McGregor, Davis & Arfield - Reasonable wages for players who aren't going to start every week. Influential in the right games, but are they worth it for the cost?

Young players - at what point should we take the punt that some like Lowry and McCann are worth giving a real run in the first team rather than spending money on incoming transfers who may not be any better than them?

Setup far too defensively in many league games.

Very one-note pace and system in these games.

At least we've added Lawrence who seems to want to shoot from outside the box.

But ffs, watching us week in, week out, its like nothing's changed since Gerrard came in (not just some of the players) and we're just going to keep on doing the same thing week after week expecting a different result.

Europe's been incredible, but surely its not asking much of the management and players to be able to setup differently for the different challenges we face?

3 minutes ago, ascender said:

The attitude from the players yesterday absolutely stank, but I just can't believe we've ended up here with this bunch of players, playing the (almost) same formation and making the same mistakes and displaying the same issues we've all seen for the last 3/4 seasons.

Nobody got pass marks yesterday, on or off the pitch and we do need to be a bit realistic about the finances - Celtic are still ahead in that regard because of how long they've been unopposed to get the CL qualification along with their player trading model etc. I also think the size of our squad is probably the main reason we didn't buy any more players. We have various big earners who are either injured or aren't first XI picks.

That was a terrible display from McLaughlin. But most of us thought he was the best option of our 3 keepers and probably still is. Why is McGregor still here? Dropping him was the first big (and easiest) decision Gio had last year and he bottled it. McCrorie or McLaughlin should have been in and we should have either signed a new #1 in the summer or promoted McCrorie and let Greegs and maybe McLaughlin leave. All of that has meant Gio has another tough decision to make and its of his own doing.

Luck hasn't been with us with injuries, but you need a strong spine of a team and in the SPFL in particular, we seem unable to do the basic sort of defending you need to do. We've got away with so many near things over the last 3/4 years - set pieces, corners, long balls etc where you need a couple of centre halves who can just do the simple things well. Goldson's fitness record is incredible, he's been a great servant, but we need better. I was surprised when he re-signed as I'd have been happy for him to go. At some point we need to move on.

Do we ever learn? Are any of the coaching staff not seeing the same things we are?

When was the last time Kent had a few games in a row where he played to the best of his ability? 

Sakala? He's not a striker, he is at least unpredictable when he's playing wide and cutting-in, but he seems to be down the pecking order, so why is he still here?

Helander & Roofe? Still here, on big wages and utterly unreliable over the course of a season.

Morelos & Kent? In to the last 6 months of their contracts. Are either work keeping based on what we know we'll get (or not) from them over the course of a season?

Jack looks done.

McGregor, Davis & Arfield - Reasonable wages for players who aren't going to start every week. Influential in the right games, but are they worth it for the cost?

Young players - at what point should we take the punt that some like Lowry and McCann are worth giving a real run in the first team rather than spending money on incoming transfers who may not be any better than them?

Setup far too defensively in many league games.

Very one-note pace and system in these games.

At least we've added Lawrence who seems to want to shoot from outside the box.

But ffs, watching us week in, week out, its like nothing's changed since Gerrard came in (not just some of the players) and we're just going to keep on doing the same thing week after week expecting a different result.

Europe's been incredible, but surely its not asking much of the management and players to be able to setup differently for the different challenges we face?

Whilst I agree with most of above, when was the last time we managed to be successful in Europe and win the SPL title? 1992-1993 season? 

3 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Whilst I agree with most of above, when was the last time we managed to be successful in Europe and win the SPL title? 1992-1993 season? 

To be honest, apart from that inaugural CL run and the odd result here and there, we've been utter dog$hit in Europe for my entire lifetime. Maybe that's what it comes down to though, that its just not easy to have a squad capable of doing both which you could argue Celtic are proving, but in reverse to us.

7 minutes ago, ascender said:

To be honest, apart from that inaugural CL run and the odd result here and there, we've been utter dog$hit in Europe for my entire lifetime. Maybe that's what it comes down to though, that its just not easy to have a squad capable of doing both which you could argue Celtic are proving, but in reverse to us.

100% and given where we are financially we appear to have prioritised Europe and built a team suited to that environment.

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

100% and given where we are financially we appear to have prioritised Europe and built a team suited to that environment.

Which got me thinking again yesterday (although might have been the morning pints and early afternoon hangover)... could we as a fan-base accept "success" in Europe over winning the league every year and adjust to that way of thinking?

I mean obviously the answer is a resounding "no", but if we can't have both...