Rangers 'sued for £1.6m' over Sydney Super Cup withdrawal

We withdrew from this two bob tournament and it lost money. Clearly the yahoos & Merseyside’s second team couldn’t generate enough money between them to make the tournament financially viable once we withdrew. You only had to look at the number of empty seats at games 😂

Take note Mr Bisgrove. And Mr Robertson. Lessons learned I hope. Our participation in this sort of tournament demands top dollar. Much more, it seems, than you’d allowed for. And we’re never to be used ever again as a cash cow when the yahoos are involved 

As far as I remember, we withdrew not long after the plans were made public, so the expenses up to that point would be rather minimal, unless they can prove that some TV deals (if any) et al were made specifically for a "possible" rather than factual Old Firm game. Could well have been that Sydney FC or that Western Sydney team had stopped them or us on the way to the final ...

Be that as it may, the chap at Ibrox who thought this up and agreed to our participation is still running, I hope ...

3 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

As far as I remember, we withdrew not long after the plans were made public, so the expenses up to that point would be rather minimal, unless they can prove that some TV deals (if any) et al were made specifically for a "possible" rather than factual Old Firm game. Could well have been that Sydney FC or that Western Sydney team had stopped them or us on the way to the final ...

Be that as it may, the chap at Ibrox who thought this up and agreed to our participation is still running, I hope ...

It wont be a claim for expenses.  It will be a claim for loss of earnings, they will argue that Rangers v Celtic would have sold out the stadium on that day.  Not an unreasonable claim.  But there will hopefully be more to it than that, hopefully they breached the contract by early publication of it etc

21 minutes ago, craig said:

It will be a claim for loss of earnings

I expect the claim will be for loss of profit. I have no clue about the mechanics of the tournament but I wonder if every ticket above, say, 20,000 is profit.

@onevisionabove makes a valid point about Rangers’ fans refusing to attend.

Another compromise payout looms.

1 hour ago, onevision said:

Loss can only be calculated if there was a demand for tickets, in this case Rangers fans made it clear they wouldn't be buying so there for no loss to the organisers.

trouble with that idea is they did buy tickets in droves and then go refunds. 

I could almost live with the stupidity behind this and the mistakes made. What I deeply resent and cannot accept is the lack of apology for getting us into this mess and the total lack of personal accountability from those running the club.