The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

49 minutes ago, compo said:

And they are a rare commodity 

They're out there but most will be condemned out of hand as "not good enough for Rangers".

1 hour ago, craig said:

Left sided doesnt mean left footed mate.  I can't remember the ones you mention but were they right sided (as opposed to right-footed) CB's ?

Being a right vs left sided CB can be markedly different - your body shape when receiving the ball, when tackling,the spaces you are closing down and even your distribution are different.  And it doesnt necessarily equate to being left or right footed.

Souttar is a right-footed, right-sided CB.  As is King, as is Goldson.

Van Dijk at Liverpool is a right-footed, left-sided CB.  Klopp doesnt ever play him on the right side of CB, with good reason.

I agree but I think you and many other supporters are over thinking this. Basically anyone that played next to Davie Weir for us played on the left and most of them were right sided and managed it fine. Some players can take to it easily.

8 hours ago, craig said:

I genuinely believe that Souttar was supposed to be a Goldson replacement

I hope not. Purely because that would be an absolutely insane decision. Swapping the man who never misses a game with John Souttar. 

I see Kris Boyd now saying that Jack Butland wanted a move to Rangers last summer.
If that’s true questions need asked about the DoF and why he didn’t pursue it.

Butland wasn’t out of contract last summer so presumably there would have been a transfer fee.
Was that fee too much for us  or did he(& presumably the manager GvB) think the goalkeeper situation was ok for another year or so. If that was the case it was quite a bad error of judgement 

Unless they have grown some money trees on the grassy knoll outside Ibrox were is the money coming from can’t see us getting any decent money for our rejects 

Good post Bill.  I agree that is exactly where we are at.  Michael Beale does lack experience, that much is obvious.  We can only hope he is a quick learner and has the ability to move us along further.  We are at a pivotal point.  Currently, Raskin and Cantwell are the 2 who might make us some big money.  We definitely need to find some real gems and/or an injection of cash or both.

8 hours ago, Bill said:

The more I reflect on this season, the less importance I attach to specific players or managers and the more apparent it seems that we simply still have a way to travel on our journey back to recovery.

The current playing squad is really just another iteration of the progression of players engaged by the club since the darkest days of 2012. It's still basically the squad that Gerrard assembled - some of the names have changed of course but not the calibre of player and many of them are played out, at the end of their shelf life and hence the wall we've hit in terms of progress.

The question for me is whether or not the club now has the means to move up another level, whether in terms of transfer resources or squad management and coaching, or both of course - and how big a step up we can realistically expect. I see no possibility of a better future without at least changing a great many players, at least some of which need to be at a whole new level of ability. It seems unlikely we can we do everything in one summer.

The team management has been a very rocky ride these last 12 years. Almost without exception we've mirrored the playing staff by engaging managers with little of no experience and been quick to release them as we moved up the recovery ladder - and that's still where we find ourselves today. Is Beale a genuine step up from Gerrard and GvB? How far can he take us?

The greatest surprises have been winning 55 and Seville. I still don't really understand how we did that but in any case, as we've seen only too clearly, they were only aberrations on an otherwise more gradual upslope of recovering football and financial performances.

I think what I take from this season is that we are still a distance (a few seasons?) away from where we would like to be - winning trophies with regularity and dominating OF results. With so many players out of contract, we have a real opportunity to take another step this summer but I wouldn't go expecting to move from here to the promised land in one leap.

The root problem is financial and the contrast with our only rival.

From there we attempt to squeeze value out of transfer/wage spend on outside bets. We have become like a mug punter who keeps on repeating the same mistake.

Managers come and go, taking on what are unreasonable expectations within the imposed time constraints. We want instant success, fine but to expect it, is for the deluded. We don't need a manager who talks the talk....we need to start being realistic and giving a manager some breathing space to build properly.

I can't see us improving hugely in the short term. We don't have the finances to bring in real quality that possess a body capable of playing more than 3 games in succession.

If we continue in the same vein, it'll be Groundhog Day again and again.