The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Read about it back then and it was written, that Rangers made a loan-deal with a fixed buy sum after that. The buy-back thing is not that common, but I thought that this was Bayern's back-door to get him Back if he becomes famous. That there was another clause between loan and the buy option is indeed strange. But I see that Rangers have bought good players since.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

That sounds right

There was lots of positive chat from Wilson about how it was an "innovative" deal... I seem to recall that if we were to buy him, it would be at Bayern's discretion whether it would go ahead, and they had some exclusive buy back built into it too.  In other words, the innovation seem to be that we significantly de- risk the Bayern side of the deal just to get him on loan with an option to buy.

12 hours ago, buster. said:

They will have had the option to do so and it's not surprising in that the lad is worth more than 5M in todays market.

Truth be told, he was a fringe player playing with Bayern's u23s. Considering this, 5m was quite steep anyway, IMHO - and you fully understand the debate about that figure in here. As has been said, the loan and buy option (like we had with Kent and Sands) is quite normal, so you see what you get. But going back on this in this triple-deal of loan + buy + buy back is quite strange, no matter whether Bayern thinks he is worth more. I am pretty sure that had we decided that we want him, but he's not worth the initially agreed 5m, Bayern would have stood their ground, no matter what. I am also pretty sure that we won't spend a penny more than 5m on Tillman, if at all.

49 minutes ago, stewarty said:

There was lots of positive chat from Wilson about how it was an "innovative" deal... I seem to recall that if we were to buy him, it would be at Bayern's discretion whether it would go ahead, and they had some exclusive buy back built into it too.  In other words, the innovation seem to be that we significantly de- risk the Bayern side of the deal just to get him on loan with an option to buy.

Truly ground braking stuff. Wonder if he got some magic beans with that.

Colour me cynical, but that just sounds like we get to make them an offer and they can decide to accept or not just like every other football transfer, but with extra steps.

17 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Truth be told, he was a fringe player playing with Bayern's u23s. Considering this, 5m was quite steep anyway, IMHO - and you fully understand the debate about that figure in here. As has been said, the loan and buy option (like we had with Kent and Sands) is quite normal, so you see what you get. But going back on this in this triple-deal of loan + buy + buy back is quite strange, no matter whether Bayern thinks he is worth more. I am pretty sure that had we decided that we want him, but he's not worth the initially agreed 5m, Bayern would have stood their ground, no matter what. I am also pretty sure that we won't spend a penny more than 5m on Tillman, if at all.

And he was coming back from an ACL (or similar) injury. 

7 hours ago, Bill said:

I'm happy to see the back of Tillman and his confusing contract. It seemed clear to me he had little intention of returning to Rangers anyway. It's £5m to spend on someone else.

I agree but surely the T&C’s of his return should have been watertight when we originally took him on loan?

Another failing by our former DoF ?

We're not in for Douvikas by the way, in case any of you saw the rumours going around that we're submitting a bid.

I'll link an article from The RR, apologies if it's behind a paywall. H&H and a few others have debunked it as well, not sure if fan media is totally reliable but some do seem more reliable than actual journos these days!

https://www.rangersreview.co.uk/features/23599949.anastasios-douvikas-rangers-transfer-links-cleared/