The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

18 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Yilmaz 'can't cross and is suspect defensively'. He's 21. He can learn to cross and work on his defensive positioning.

Too small for a defensive position even in the modern 'no touch' game. 

Transfermarkt lists him as 5'7"...maybe in heels...and that's not a stocky 5'7" either.

Too large to be a jockey...too small to be shooting in for tackles and wrestling for position with SPL trogs. 

And it's soccer so you can't throw him on the Mexican vitamins to put 10 lbs of muscle on him.

We keep him, he will continue to collect soft tissue injuries and be chronically absent.

1 hour ago, Malangsob said:

Too small for a defensive position even in the modern 'no touch' game. 

Transfermarkt lists him as 5'7"...maybe in heels...and that's not a stocky 5'7" either.

Too large to be a jockey...too small to be shooting in for tackles and wrestling for position with SPL trogs. 

And it's soccer so you can't throw him on the Mexican vitamins to put 10 lbs of muscle on him.

We keep him, he will continue to collect soft tissue injuries and be chronically absent.

Harsh. By some considerable margin the best fullback I ever saw was 5’ 7”. His name was Eric Caldow, captain of Rangers and Scotland. 

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

Harsh. By some considerable margin the best fullback I ever saw was 5’ 7”. His name was Eric Caldow, captain of Rangers and Scotland. 

Aye the lad from Cumnock excellent player

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

Like I said...this guy ain't 5'7" and he ain't thick either.

We also play in a time (unlike Caldows) where the size of players, and speed of play has greatly increased.

There is a reason that the average height for fullbacks today is around 5'11"

And it is not a skinny little 5'11" either.

Livi? They look like the New York Knicks.

Granted the game is much more closely scrutinized in modern days but all that physicality bears an impact either way. 

7 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

We also play in a time (unlike Caldows) where the size of players, and speed of play has greatly increased.

Granted the game is much more closely scrutinized in modern days but all that physicality bears an impact either way. 

Size goes for nothing at full back the ability to read the situation and time your challenges are the the main thing added to an ability once you have the ball to play it out of the danger zone 

5 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

I always think Ridvan looks pretty stocky to be fair, he's definitely not a small streak of piss is he? Maybe by American standards he's slight like (no offence meant) and your athletes tend to be 6'4 and 220 lbs.

5 minutes ago, compo said:

Size goes for nothing at full back the ability to read the situation and time your challenges are the the main thing added to an ability once you have the ball to play it out of the danger zone 

Size matters in sport, every sport.

If it did not the average size of players selected for the upper echelons of football would not have increased consistently over the past 50 years. 

Heading, jumping, body mass, strength on the ball, are increased as size increases.

Further, greater mass, and musculature permits a person to endure increased physical stress. 

It is not everything but size absolutely matters.

Especially in a defensive position.

18 minutes ago, yuddie said:

I always think Ridvan looks pretty stocky to be fair, he's definitely not a small streak of piss is he? Maybe by American standards he's slight like (no offence meant) and your athletes tend to be 6'4 and 220 lbs.

image.png.f43ec524544e28c3cb6b068c44ef5a2f.png

He looks like a physically fit player but I wouldn't venture into stocky. 

He has a huge head...I will give him that. 

But, he is a little guy. 

3 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

image.png.f43ec524544e28c3cb6b068c44ef5a2f.png

He looks like a physically fit player but I wouldn't venture into stocky. 

He has a huge head...I will give him that. 

But, he is a little guy. 

Hahaha I think that's just his Barnet, if his head goes that far back then I'll believe they walk among us 👽