The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

2 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Oops, I just read 'RB' and thought it was Leipzig.  

Technically I'm wrong: it shouldn't be RB Salzburg any more. They had to drop it, because Leipzig were / are in the same competition (CL). 

I added it for clarity. 

I guess it wasn't that clear... :D

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I was watching the RB Salzburg match stream (vs Inter). I was struck by the fans's mindest regarding players. Several comments were along the lines of '[player x] will be crazy in 1-2 years', or '[player y] will be worth 30 million in a couple of years'.

The mindset is different from us. We're, 'if they're not the final product, then they're no good ... punt them'. They're seeing potential, and what they can become.

Tillman was 'too slow on the ball and gets robbed'. But he was 20-years-old. Where will be be in a year or two when he quickens up and gets stronger on the ball? 

Yilmaz 'can't cross and is suspect defensively'. He's 21. He can learn to cross and work on his defensive positioning.

And the 'we have to win now' excuse doesn't cut it. Salzburg need to win. They look at the attributes a player has now, whilst also acknowledging where they can improve. 

I really think this is a failing in our mindset. 

Many of us recall days under smith signing top players like Gazza, Laudrup, Thern from big Italian clubs. Butcher, Woods, Steven, Stevens further back. Then signing some top Dutch internationals and French World Cup winners under Advocaat.

Salzburg would never have had that, intact now I’d argue they sign higher profile players than they ever did.

i suppose it’s a resetting of expectations we need to have. These days are over and we need to adjust as a fan base.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

4 hours ago, CammyF said:

IMG-20230809-WA0004.jpg

4 hours ago, CammyF said:

IMG-20230809-WA0004.jpg

That the Australian guy who played in World Cup? If my memory serves me well he was decent, or have I got the wrong guy?Johns brother?

Edited by BEARGER

3 hours ago, BEARGER said:

That the Australian guy who played in World Cup? If my memory serves me well he was decent, or have I got the wrong guy?Johns brother?

Doubt very much if we’d be signing Harry Souttar. He cost Leicester over 10m not so long ago

7 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Leeds are interested in Matondo apparently. He was at their game v Cardiff it’s being reported.

Edit it was on footy insider so probably nonsense. 

They were interested in him last summer before he came to us.

Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

2 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Leeds are interested in Matondo apparently. He was at their game v Cardiff it’s being reported.

Edit it was on footy insider so probably nonsense. 

They were interested in him last summer before he came to us.

I don't believe we could be so lucky.

Do It Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco