The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

11 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

I would only agree with such a tactic if it worked both ways.

Profits up, players get increased pay or bonuses based upon an agreed percentage of that profit.

Is that a common thing as well?

Penalizing a player for something before the fact,  that may or may not be largely out of his control is complete mierda. 

I'm pretty sure they will get bonuses for staying in the prem, qualifying for Europe, finishing in the top 4, getting to cup quarter-finals etc as well, so to an extent it will go both ways but with the huge drop off in revenue for the club, I don't think they have a choice but to put those cluases in players contracts.

I think the best example is somebody like Jack Rodwell, who refused to leave Sunderland when they were relegated from the prem because he couldn't get the same wage elsewhere. Sunderland got relegated again but he was still on £70k+ while they were in League 1 and eventually just ran his contract down

Ironically, the MD/DOF equivalent at Sunderland at the time....... Mr. Martin Bain

1 minute ago, lenny3k said:

I'm pretty sure they will get bonuses for staying in the prem, qualifying for Europe, finishing in the top 4, getting to cup quarter-finals etc as well, so to an extent it will go both ways but with the huge drop off in revenue for the club, I don't think they have a choice but to put those cluases in players contracts.

I think the best example is somebody like Jack Rodwell, who refused to leave Sunderland when they were relegated from the prem because he couldn't get the same wage elsewhere. Sunderland got relegated again but he was still on £70k+ while they were in League 1 and eventually just ran his contract down

Ironically, the MD/DOF equivalent at Sunderland at the time....... Mr. Martin Bain

To put it further into context, I just looked it up to remind myself and at the time, the average Championship wage was between £7.5k-a-week and £8.5k-a-week

1 minute ago, lenny3k said:

To put it further into context, I just looked it up to remind myself and at the time, the average Championship wage was between £7.5k-a-week and £8.5k-a-week

Right on man.

Now see, put in that perspective it evens outs. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Malangsob said:

I would only agree with such a tactic if it worked both ways.

Profits up, players get increased pay or bonuses based upon an agreed percentage of that profit.

Is that a common thing as well?

Penalizing a player for something before the fact,  that may or may not be largely out of his control is complete mierda. 

But it IS working both ways - when they sign on with an EPL team their wages are immediately inflated because they are in the EPL.....

Profits up ?  In season 2018/19 (the only season I could find quickly) more than 50% of the EPL clubs made losses.  Being in the EPL doesnt immediately mean increased profit... and know why ?  In large part because increased revenue leads to increased transfer fee spend and increased wages.... 

So given your scenario, should the players also take a %age of the losses that clubs have ?

He isnt penalised before the fact - he is penalized when relegation occurs - and he has ACCEPTED that in his contract - can hardly say he signed under duress.  Using Aribo as an example, he probably tripled his wage (or more) when he signed for Southampton... can hardly complain when he then has to take a haircut on what wage for a contract he willingly signed....

1 hour ago, Malangsob said:

LOL!

Brother you need to put that pipe down. 

I hope for the best either way. :thup:

You do understand that just because a player doesnt get injuries makes him no less of a safe bet than a player who has had injuries, right ?  They may not suit the style of football - in that regard Sterling is in British football so knows the physical rigours, whilst Palma is in Greek football and we have no idea if he can handle the physicality of the game.

I would also argue defenders (Sterling) run a larger risk of injury than attacking players (Palma) - though could easily be proved wrong on this

7 minutes ago, craig said:

I would also argue defenders (Sterling) run a larger risk of injury than attacking players

As a former forward I would disagree with this, although how can it be proved?. I sustained many injuries due to being hit from behind, over the ball challenges, lunges, as a forward you are targeted in every single match.

54 minutes ago, craig said:

So given your scenario, should the players also take a %age of the losses that clubs have ?

If he is going to receive a benefit when a team experience that(players sold on, Europe, etc.), then yes. 

I think that is completely fair, but to simply penalize a player when the team are not successful, is just wrong.

Especially if that player was not even implemented.

Manager changes? Formation shifts? Injury...especially that one. Knee blown out? "Tough titty kitten...guess you better go buy a Honda."

Lenny broke it down where it makes more sense for me now. There is a give and take system in place...kinda.

Thanks man. 

2 hours ago, ian1964 said:

As a former forward I would disagree with this, although how can it be proved?. I sustained many injuries due to being hit from behind, over the ball challenges, lunges, as a forward you are targeted in every single match.

As a former centre-half (or clugger) at a very low footballing level, I would agree! Although I was never quick enough to "leave a mark" on some forwards (well that's what I told the refs) 😃