The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Just now, Scott7 said:

I’ll wait for @compoto explain this for me.

It's just an extra player moving to make a back-three, like a #6 dropping in-between the CBs to make it a three. It's called a situational back-three because it's not ostensibly a back-three; players are moving from their primary position to create it.

Sometimes Ryan Jack spins out wide to become a right-centre-back at times. 

Man City keep one of their FBs back to make the back-three. 

13 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Sometimes, but in Liverpool's case they're not fixing the structure in defence; they are only using two CBs. Teams like Arsenal and Man City use situational back-threes to utilise an inverted FB. Combine that with disjointed pressing from the front players and it's a real issue.   

It's moot, anyway, because I don't think Tavernier has the skill-set to play in midfield; he doesn't have the close control or short passing of TAA. Tavernier's skill-set is his crossing, running and getting into the box, which is more of a winger or second-striker's skill-set, not a central midfielder.

I think it might be revealing and perhaps surprising if data was available that showed what proportion of Tavernier's crosses actually threatened the opposition goal.

19 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think it might be revealing and perhaps surprising if data was available that showed what proportion of Tavernier's crosses actually threatened the opposition goal.

One of his corners led to a goal yesterday, another assist to add to his stats (as surprising and / or revealing as they are or arent). 

30 minutes ago, Bill said:

Damn you! You know I can't resist those sweet, sweet numbers...

Screenshot2023-05-1414_17_45.thumb.png.45193551143d0ad1f131512bd146dbb0.pngScreenshot2023-05-1414_19_04.thumb.png.c79a45ad173adc85802f428bf04fc200.pngScreenshot2023-05-1414_19_49.png.b02cb82b3e293258aabc8f9c1affcae0.png

This is data from the Champions League. 

I can't find the exact number you asked for, but we can work around it. His crosses attempted is 4.16 p/90, which is in the 79th percentile; quite high. And, they do go into the penalty area (0.59 p/90, which is 71th percentile; quite high). His expected assists is 0.15 p/90, which is 91st percentile; again very high. His actual assists is... 0. 11th percentile. P*sh. It looks like a combination of no one in the middle, or the forwards not taking the chances, because his expected assists is quite high and a lot are going into the penalty area. Of course, not all of those xA will come from crosses. 

These number actually contradict what I said about him being a runner: he's actually in the 32 percentile for progressive carries (carrying the ball over 20 metre, or something). He's not actually progressing with the ball. When I think about the Celtic game, I only remember him carrying the ball far once. He does tend to pass it. 

The data also shows his short passing is poor. 

What's also interesting is he's better defending further forward - his interceptions are far better in the final third than what they are in the defensive third. His aerial win rate is good, too. 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Damn you! You know I can't resist those sweet, sweet numbers...

Screenshot2023-05-1414_17_45.thumb.png.45193551143d0ad1f131512bd146dbb0.pngScreenshot2023-05-1414_19_04.thumb.png.c79a45ad173adc85802f428bf04fc200.pngScreenshot2023-05-1414_19_49.png.b02cb82b3e293258aabc8f9c1affcae0.png

This is data from the Champions League. 

I can't find the exact number you asked for, but we can work around it. His crosses attempted is 4.16 p/90, which is in the 79th percentile; quite high. And, they do into the penalty area (0.59 p/90, which is 71th percentile; quite high). His expected assists is 0.15 p/90, which is 91st percentile; again very high. His actual assists is... 0. 11th percentile. P*sh. It looks like a combination of no one in the middle, or the forwards not taking the chances, because his expected assists is quite high and a lot are going into the penalty area. Of course, not all of those xA will come from crosses. 

These number actually contradict what I said about him being a runner: he's actually in the 32 percentile for progressive carries (carrying the ball over 20 metre, or something). He's not actually progressing with the ball. When I think about the Celtic game, I only remember him carrying the ball far once. He does tend to pass it. 

The data also shows his short passing is poor. 

How many CL games has Tav played? 

Just now, Rousseau said:

That data is based on 606 minutes. 

So not a huge sample size then and largely in a campaign where we were overwhelmed. 

Wonder of the same stats are available for the EL? 

Just now, CammyF said:

So not a huge sample size then and largely in a campaign where we were overwhelmed. 

Wonder of the same stats are available for the EL? 

They will be available, but you'd need to pay for it.