[FT] Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Rangers

3 minutes ago, CammyF said:

It didn't take long for it to be Tavs fault. All we need now is for someone to blame Barasic and we'll have a full house. 

It was a collective failure this evening. 

It was all Barisic's fault. 

Everything. 

:D

Just now, PoohBear said:

People aren't always writing off the players. Valid questions are being asked. The off season has been very exciting, but again warnings have been said about the types of players we are signing. Some have really suspect histories and the idea they will simply turn it around at Ibrox does not convince me.

But with the budget we have, that's the type of players we have to take punts on. 

We don't have the finance to attract proven players, they'll attract fees and wages way above our means. 

Instead of "judging" them on a couple of friendlies and 1 league game, maybe give them time to settle in. 

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

Well the warning signs have been there all preseason. There are no excuses for that.

Hot take - I think a quality centre mid would change this team more than a quality centre back. 

I think a quality centre mid would just be asked to do the same things so nothing would change. 

Hard watch today, hopefully if the squad have anything about them and ditto the manager, it will shake them to the core and there will be a positive reaction over the next few games. Far too early to be calling individuals out, inc the manager. Not an ideal start by any means, but this one result will not cost the season. 

3 minutes ago, CammyF said:

It didn't take long for it to be Tavs fault. All we need now is for someone to blame Barasic and we'll have a full house. 

It was a collective failure this evening. 

Not saying its his fault Cammy. I'm a big Tav fan. Just thought he was quite poor and looked unsure on many occasions.

Point here is, we put out 4 players against a packed Killie defence that never experienced such a dross on such a pitch. IMHO, we still lack some sort of cohesion up front (no wonder if you play 4 new guys there) and that was sort of risky. Maybe MB thought the quality will get us through (like so many managers before him). Sakala ... is no world beater, but knows the score (pitch and players), presses people like hell and loves a shot. 

We still play far too slow out of defense, far too many needless passes across the half-way line. The pitch didn't help, but too many hot-potato passing with people covered by two or more defenders isn't the answer either.

Wrong tactics with these players. That was a workmanlike midfield, and truth be told, Dowell is not a starter for me. At least in the here and now. Work-rate is fine, but that is not what is required to open up the Killie bunker. Our "wing-backs" didn't provide any suitable crosses, their defense-work could have been done by the DM or a back-tracking winger. As a result, we had a disjointed front row and a midfield (incl. wing-backs) that couldn't find a suitable pass - leaving Hagi AND Cantwell on the bench.

One would hope that the trial & error period this season won't last long, but I gave up hope on that straight after the 55 season.

And what is up next, Servette! Well, they won't dig themselves in at the 18-yard line.

Edited by der Berliner

Just now, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Not saying its his fault Cammy. I'm a big Tav fan. Just thought he was quite poor and looked unsure on many occasions.

He did, but he wasn't alone. Souttar and Goldson looked nervy and Souttar was sleeping at their goal. 

We tend to try and apportion blame to individuals and look for someone to target. Today was a collective failure. It happens in football and we have no right to win any game of football, that has to be earned.

Making so many changes, and these are changed we all "demanded" happen, we were always leaving ourselves open to an uncertain start. 

Calling for players and managers heads after 1 game is just mental. 

4 minutes ago, CammyF said:

But with the budget we have, that's the type of players we have to take punts on. 

We don't have the finance to attract proven players, they'll attract fees and wages way above our means. 

Instead of "judging" them on a couple of friendlies and 1 league game, maybe give them time to settle in. 

Sorry, but I find this confusing: you have just scolded me, by suggesting that I check the fees these players commanded, before they pitched up in Govan.