[FT] Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Rangers

Here's the thing, pre season is pre season. Means nothing, nothing on the line no trophies no points.

Today was a big game. 

• Did we win - no
  • Did we play well - no
  • Did any of our players from last year give any indication that they will add value - no
  • Did any of our new players give any indication that they will add value - no
  • Did our best players from last season when we finished the season well play well - Raskin | no / Cantwell didn't start | don't know why
  • Was our management team surprised at the way a McInnes Kilmarnock team played - it looked like it
  • Did he see this then change it - didn't look like it
  • Did we utilise our attacking fullbacks - no
  • Did we utilise out midfielders who can shoot from distance on a park that has an un predictable bounce - no
  • Do we look any better than this time last year under van Bronkhorst - no
  • Do we look like we have a shape or cohesive gameplan - no
  • Do we look good at the back - no
  • Can we rely on a Soutter who has played about 10 games and made 3 massive mistakes (livi away last year, celtic away last year, today) - no
  • Do we look dangerous upfront - no
  • We have removed cantwell who finished last season strongly and replaced him with Lammers who did nothing of note today and although scored a few goals in pre season raised concerns about the overall shape / cohesiveness of the team. - Why?
  • Did we look like we wanted it more than them - no.

I could go on.

The manager has had a full pre season to work with these guys, what were they doing?

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

2 minutes ago, CammyF said:

See there is the problem right there. Comparing ourselves with THEM. I don't care if they play like 1970's Brazil as long as we are winning.

I only care about Rangers winning and I don't care how we win (5-0 or 1-0 you only get 3 points).

It was merely an example to show that it's possible. 

I want to see us win playing good footbalI. There are many different shades of good football, though. I don't need to see us play like 70s Brazil to be entertained.

5 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Nope, writing nothing off - unlike others. 

It's your standard response to anyone questioning anything, "so you're just writing them off?". There is a whole range of opinions and most of them aren't all or nothing. The off season signings have been exciting, but also I have been concerned about the level of some players we have been spending significant money on. The pre-season was very poor and we have now failed our first test (and in our league that may well already be our death knell). Things do not look good at the moment and people are rightly frustrated and asking questions, because it's a shitshow that we brought in so many players and fucked that up.

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I want to see us win playing good footbalI. There are many different shades of good football, though. I don't need to see us play like 70s Brazil to be entertained.

A similar score line today with us at least playing good football and creating some chances would have been, at least for me, palatable. It would have offered some hope.

No idea what that was today. Was like watching a junior game but that's hard on junior teams. And I don't want to hear excuses about the pitch. If we play on the surface of the moon we should still be the better team.

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Of course it's possible. You stated WS 2nd spell as boring. Yet we often won by 5, 6 and 7 during this time but also knew how to win 1-0. 

What WS did at the beginning of his 2nd spell was to sign 2 centre-halves who could defend, then built a team around them. The rest as they say is history. 

Whilst football has changed, the concept has remained the same. WS knew how to get the best out of players (especially those with limited ability) and knew how to mould a team. However, that's why there aren't many Walter Smith's around. He was a top notch manager. 

Well, that was a really disappointing performance.  

I'll be honest, I'm sick of the sight of Tav and Barisic.  

What does Dowell bring to the midfield?  I don't see anything there at all.  

We need to sort things out fast if we want to stay in the title race because Celtc beat every other side with ease.  

6 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Of course it's possible. You stated WS 2nd spell as boring. Yet we often won by 5, 6 and 7 during this time but also knew how to win 1-0. 

What WS did at the beginning of his 2nd spell was to sign 2 centre-halves who could defend, then built a team around them. The rest as they say is history. 

Whilst football has changed, the concept has remained the same. WS knew how to get the best out of players (especially those with limited ability) and knew how to mould a team. However, that's why there aren't many Walter Smith's around. He was a top notch manager. 

And what is Beale doing after 6 months, £15M and a pre-season?

5 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

It's your standard response to anyone questioning anything, "so you're just writing them off?". There is a whole range of opinions and most of them aren't all or nothing. The off season signings have been exciting, but also I have been concerned about the level of some players we have been spending significant money on. The pre-season was very poor and we have now failed our first test (and in our league that may well already be our death knell). Things do not look good at the moment and people are rightly frustrated and asking questions, because it's a shitshow that we brought in so many players and fucked that up.

But there are fans writing off players and the manager. SBG has admitted he wants the manager sacked. That's clearing writing him off. 

Fans are saying they don't want to see certain players (Tav, Borna, Lundstrum) play for Rangers again. That's clearing writing them off. 

There are fans saying Sima is hopeless, that Dessers is as fat and uninterested as Morelos, that's clearing writing them off  

Questions should be asked about the performance, but claiming players and manager should be sacked is way over the top.

Just now, Rousseau said:

And what is Beale doing after 6 months and a pre-season?

Changed an entire team. A team that we all wanted ripped apart. Now it's been ripped apart and we've lost 1 game, we want it ripped apart again.

It’s early days & we’ve made a lot of signings who have still to settle.And I think we’ve still got a bit to do in the transfer market both ins & outs. 
However my concern after watching the game today was the lack of MF creativity and the lack of width to our game in general. This will need to be rectified as we move forward this season.

We are still too predictable, playing side to side too often & playing at too low a tempo