[FT] Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Rangers

4 hours ago, compo said:

Stoke city won four nil yesterday with ten new players the thing was their manager had the ability to fit the square pegs into the square holes and they played delightful entertaining football unlike the shambles at Rugby park.

And the manager is Alex Neil who might be a good fit for us (ex-Hamilton).

45 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

I was reading through threads on the long running Hearts 'zine forum, 'Jambos Kickback' last evening and, apparently Rangers did have a player yesterday who achieved more than pass marks. 

Alex Lowry's heads up, driving forward style was a revelation to the Boys in Maroon. Indeed, he could be the next talk o' the toon.

So who's supposed to be doing Lowry's job for us - Cantwell? Lammers? Search me.

Going to be very interesting how Lowry does on loan at Hearts. If he does well then questions need to be asked. He’s a type of MF player whom we don’t seem to have in the current squad i.e. gets forward to support the attack & goes beyond the strikers at times. A sort of Ian Durrant type of MF player

23 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

So who's supposed to be doing Lowry's job for us - Cantwell? Lammers? Search me.

Cantwell, Hagi, Dowell. 

After watching the Union vs Atalanta game live with Idisi yesterday afternoon, it was once more a real culture shock to see us pounding the Killie walls. What irks me most: Beale has a host of new and fit players, but seemingly has no real idea how to utilize them best (despite weeks of trying): most attackers bar Dessers and Sima are all over the pitch, while the creative department was Raskin, Dowell, and Lundstram? Lammers is that sort of mercurial attacker like Laudrup, but there was no real cohesion up there and behind them. Hence I questioned the tactics. As soon as we saw Killie's game plan, we could easily have removed a DM (Dowell) and get Hagi or Cantwell on. Dessers and Lammers through the middle, Sima and Cantwell slightly behind them on either half-wing, Raskin to distribute the ball, fullbacks to overlap. Alas, IMHO, these chaps will adapt and be put in a slot most fitting to them. Same with the pitch.

Not the first time we started a season like we did yesterday, by the end middle of September I fully expect us to find a rhythm though.

Coming to think of it, in these games, we should try Dessers/Danilo and Roofe up front and Lammers directly behind them. We need able strikers up top, and we still play but one.

4 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Coming to think of it, in these games, we should try Dessers/Danilo and Roofe up front and Lammers directly behind them. We need able strikers up top, and we still play but one.

Agreed.  Two up front, with either Lammers, Hagi or Cantwell in behind them.  

Lowry isn't as good a player as the three mentioned, which is why he is on loan.

I don't think we needed Lammers, as Cantwell looked fine there last season and Hagi is also very capable.

16 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Going to be very interesting how Lowry does on loan at Hearts. If he does well then questions need to be asked. He’s a type of MF player whom we don’t seem to have in the current squad i.e. gets forward to support the attack & goes beyond the strikers at times. A sort of Ian Durrant type of MF player

We have to remember playing for Hearts is immeasurably different from playing for Rangers. I fully expect Lowry to excell at Hearts and only confirm what we know. He's an excellent player. The true measure of his future at Rangers will not come down to his playing ability but more his strength of character IMO.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

7 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Lowry isn't as good a player as the three mentioned, which is why he is on loan.

I don't think we needed Lammers, as Cantwell looked fine there last season and Hagi is also very capable.

We have to play 2 up front. We cannot spend the best part of 10 million on 2 players to have one on the bench.

12 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

19 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Did you watch the game? Did you see pre-season? That's what we were doing. 

The issue, for me, is midfield: We're not finding the attackers at all; there's no movement.