[FT] Rangers 4 (Lammers 10'; Danilo 78'; Sima 84'; Dowell 90') - 0 Livingston

xG can also predict the long term success of a team.

Ange's first season saw Celtic top the xG table - they were creating the most chances in the league - and many were rubbishing it because we were actually top at the time. 

All it was saying was that Celtic were creating more chances, which is more sustainable in terms of wins over the long term. We were creating fewer chances, and less likely to keep on winning. Over a match, a team with less xG can win, but over a season the team that can create consistently high xG will win the league.

Eventually the actual table matched the xG table and they won the league. 

CammyF was waxing lyrical about our 4 goal win against Hearts a season or two back. I thought the performance was rubbish. Eventually that 4 goal win was shown to be an aberration; the performances went on being rubbish and the results eventually matched.  

Just now, Rousseau said:

Over a match, a team with less xG can win, but over a season the team that can create consistently high xG will win the league.

This has been a problem for a number of years. I have used my eyes watching many games under 3 different management teams now to come to this conclusion. xG only reinforces this belief. We need to start consistently creating more quality chances. 

2 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

We need to start consistently creating more quality chances. 

Or just shoot more.  The amount of times there's a shot on and we pass it wide instead does my nut in.

I blame Arsene Wenger.  

32 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Or just shoot more.  The amount of times there's a shot on and we pass it wide instead does my nut in.

I blame Arsene Wenger.  

Hopefully Cifuentes will be that midfielder that actually shoots. Remember them? Lampard and Gerrard got bucket loads of goals for a reason. They were always willing to have a pop at goal when the opportunity arose. 

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I blame Arsene Wenger.  

But what's the XG for shots from further than 18 yards out? 

8 minutes ago, CammyF said:

But what's the XG for shots from further than 18 yards out? 

Lower, definitely. More shots that are from outside the box won't help us much. 

I think @Gonzo79's point was to take a shot rather than passing when the situation arises, which we do tend to do, a lot. 

19 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

If our xG was 6, there'd be moans that we weren't taking our chances.

We won 4-0 so let's use statistics to have a go, given we can't do it on the result..... 9_9

Our biggest winning margin against Livi at Ibrox in over a decade as well. 

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

If our xG was 6, there'd be moans that we weren't taking our chances.

We won 4-0 so let's use statistics to have a go, given we can't do it on the result..... 9_9

You've not read my point, so you've made up a silly argument.

I don't think we created enough against the low block. That's it; that's my whole point. I've then used the xG to prove we didn't create enough. 

The result was great. I'm happy with the result.