[FT] Rangers 2 (Sima 45; Matondo 76) - 2 PSV Eindhoven

55 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think the result is colouring the performance. 

I lost count of the number of posts on here complaining about the performance of the team and several individuals. 

I think we defended well, though. We restricted them to longer, low quality shots (their xG was 1.24 compared to our 1.08 for the whole game despite having double the number of shots). 

I still think our pressing needs to improve: it's too disjointed and easy for teams to play through us. I saw Dessers moaning a few times because he wasn't being backed up in the press. 

I don't mind the fact we had 162 passes to their 519, but we need to be better in offensive transitions. Our passing accuracy was only 62%; that's 40% of passes going nowhere. When we countered successfully it was actually quite effective, as we saw towards the end. 

While some of the individual performances weren't all we could hope for, as a team I think we did perform well, particularly given the quality of the opposition.

I'd agree about the pressing generally although there were times during the game when we did do it well. The likes of Cantwell and Dessers showed that they can keep going. Our passing, particularly by the midfield 3 was unusually poor and hopefully it'll improve next week with another game under our belts.

2 hours ago, compo said:

Could be quite a decent team if we had two full backs that were excellent at defending 

Both were last night! you need to get rid of your negative perspective! give them a break!.

6 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Both were last night! you need to get rid of your negative perspective! give them a break!.

Not sure many would agree with you on that. They tried their best, battled as well as they could, there was no lack of effort, but excellent at defending?? You were watching a different game. 

8 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I thought Cifuentes had a good game but Jack and Raskin weren't great.  

Matondo should start before Sima next week.  

Also, Lundstram looked like a man possessed when he came on.  

I thought Cifuentes was a bit at sea in the first half. It was as if he was stunned. Second half he was a lot better - chasing down people and being a bit more physical.

54 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

Not sure many would agree with you on that. They tried their best, battled as well as they could, there was no lack of effort, but excellent at defending?? You were watching a different game. 

I watched the game alright, their two wingers are excellent players, our full backs did well, otherwise the score might have been a lot different!.

It's easy to scape goat players, our whole team defended well, including our two full backs

Edited by ian1964