We haven’t recovered from 2012

3 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Celtic Park got redeveloped mid 90’s. It was completed and used for the 1998 SC final which we lost to hearts. How much did it cost & who funded it? £40m was quoted which sounds ultra cheap to me. 

Will try and look into it when I get a chance and let you know. 

I remember the figure of £40M being banded about at the time and it always seemed a very low figure (the club deck cost us circa £20M in the early 90s. I know its not compering like for like, but it gives you a comparison.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

I'm not an expert in property. My interpretation is that the land is ultimately WH's but the stadium is Celtic's and and they have the right to the use of the land as long as they pay the feu. 

Feu duty was done away with twenty (?) years ago. I hope you’re not still paying yours, Bd.

Maybe WH lets his land to celtic for a peppercorn.

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

I remember the figure of £40M being banded about at the time and it always seemed a very low figure (the club deck cost us circa £20M in the early 90s. I know its not compering like for like, but it gives you a comparison.

IIRC the two end stands were built by the now defunct Barr Construction & the North Stand overhanging the cemetery by Miller. Yes I’d heard that £40m figure too which was a lot of money for a club which had not long survived bankruptcy 
All sorts of rumours at the time of using cheapest materials, cutting corners, safety breaches etc. Crucially no one really seemed willing to question how it got planning permission especially after the old Celtic board said it couldn’t be redeveloped & were looking at alternative sites.

Ultimately though it gave them a stadium with a 60k capacity but with a life expectancy of how long? And it gave them a stadium with a 10k greater capacity than ibrox or hampden. Then the bunnet began parroting phrases used by the Rangers board in the 1970’s about not needing hampden which had also got redeveloped but with national lottery funding, something  which would come into play years later in 2020 when Mr Haughey would emerge as a hampden supporter as the SFA threatened  to move games away from hampden. But to where? A rugby stadium in Edinburgh? Why not 60k Celtic Park? Maybe we’ll find this out soon enough.

Their bigger stadium had the potential to get them more revenue through the gates than ours so our Mr Murray starting looking at other sources of revenue & whatever else that would unfortunately ultimately lead us to 2012.

I still do believe alarm bells must have been going off in the Rangers boardroom about where Celtic’s funding was coming from back then.

Edited by RANGERRAB

9 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

IIRC the two end stands were built by the now defunct Barr Construction & the North Stand overhanging the cemetery by Miller. Yes I’d heard that £40m figure too which was a lot of money for a club which had not long survived bankruptcy 
All sorts of rumours at the time of using cheapest materials, cutting corners, safety breaches etc. Crucially no one really seemed willing to question how it got planning permission especially after the old Celtic board said it couldn’t be redeveloped & were looking at alternative sites.

Ultimately though it gave them a stadium with a 60k capacity but with a life expectancy of how long? And it gave them a stadium with a 10k greater capacity than ibrox or hampden. Then the bunnet began parroting phrases used by the Rangers board in the 1970’s about not needing hampden which had also got redeveloped but with national lottery funding, something  which would come into play years later in 2020 when Mr Haughey would emerge as a hampden supporter as the SFA threatened  to move games away from hampden. But to where? A rugby stadium in Edinburgh? Why not 60k Celtic Park? Maybe we’ll find this out soon enough.

Their bigger stadium had the potential to get them more revenue through the gates than ours so our Mr Murray starting looking at other sources of revenue & whatever else that would unfortunately ultimately lead us to 2012.

I still do believe alarm bells must have been going off in the Rangers boardroom about where Celtic’s funding was coming from back then.

Think on they are going to have the euros in Britain Hampden will need a lot spent on it or will someone suggest why spend money on Hampden when Parkhead is ready along with disco lights 

16 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Celtic Park got redeveloped mid 90’s. It was completed and used for the 1998 SC final which we lost to hearts. How much did it cost & who funded it? £40m was quoted which sounds ultra cheap to me. And they never raised any like that in share issues IIRC.

The mass spending you mentioned was only in the advocaat era until McLeish took over late 2001. McLeish spent much less

image.png.eb3e115ea0589549dd9f3953d3f74bd8.png

32 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

Taking away any of the chat about who would host such events, in no way should a country the size of Scotland, with the financial constraints that our footballing authorities have, ever be wasting any more money on a national stadium. It's a grotesque luxury, and not even a good one.

Someone should as supreme leader Humza about building a new national stadium I’m sure it could be completed in around ten years 

9 minutes ago, compo said:

Someone should as supreme leader Humza about building a new national stadium I’m sure it could be completed in around ten years 

Humza is busy opening an opticians in Mosspark today.  I kid you not.  🤣