Gersnet Rangers All-time XI | Day 4: Right-back

12 minutes ago, compo said:

Gary Stevens was fantastic as was Sandy Jardine but I plump for captain cutlass the second captain at our club to lift a treble after Jock Shaw my left back .

Bobby Shearer 

That’s a battle fighting pair of fullbacks but I’ve picked neither. I’ve got another role in mind for them.

My best RB is Caldow but I already nominated him at LB.

Young’s early service was at RB but as shown when he moved to CH, his immense physique was wasted on the flank.
John Little, the Canadian, was very good, Gary Stevens even better but excluding Caldow the choice isn’t too hard - Sandy Jardine. (“Great player, this boy”: David Francey commentating on Jardine’s first match against an east end team. How true)

38 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

That’s a battle fighting pair of fullbacks but I’ve picked neither. I’ve got another role in mind for them.

My best RB is Caldow but I already nominated him at LB.

Young’s early service was at RB but as shown when he moved to CH, his immense physique was wasted on the flank.
John Little, the Canadian, was very good, Gary Stevens even better but excluding Caldow the choice isn’t too hard - Sandy Jardine. (“Great player, this boy”: David Francey commentating on Jardine’s first match against an east end team. How true)

Sandy  was more than a player he was one of a few who brought the fans together back in 2012 a great ambassador for the club never to be forgotten.

It should be Sandy Jardine, and I hope he wins the poll. However, outwith Caldow, I'm sticking to players I had the pleasure of watching. 

Given that, there is only one person that I can vote for and that's Gary Stevens. A wonderful full-back.

Honorable mentions to Hutton and Tav. 

27 minutes ago, CammyF said:

It should be Sandy Jardine, and I hope he wins the poll. However, outwith Caldow, I'm sticking to players I had the pleasure of watching. 

Given that, there is only one person that I can vote for and that's Gary Stevens. A wonderful full-back.

Honorable mentions to Hutton and Tav. 

My sentiments exactly. Stevens for me.

I'd an irrational dislike for Gary Stevens. Don't ask me to explain it or justify it, I can't. I just didn't like him. 

It has to be Jardine. Many people think Danny McGrain was the best right back Scotland has produced, but he was played at left back for Scotland because Jardine was such a good right back, this at a time when Scotland had genuine world class players. When he left Rangers everyone assumed his career was over. He only went and won Scottish Player Of The Year at Hearts.

Jardine 'managed' a charity side I played in at Ibrox once. He was faced with a dressing room full of guys who'd bid for a place in the team. We were mainly a motley mix of overweight, middle-aged men living a childhood dream. He took a look at us and said 'lads, it's a big pitch, let the ball do the running.' I should have listened, I could barely breathe after 10 minutes. 

My father would say Bobby Shearer should win this, and his record is really something. 

32 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I'd an irrational dislike for Gary Stevens. Don't ask me to explain it or justify it, I can't. I just didn't like him. 

It has to be Jardine. Many people think Danny McGrain was the best right back Scotland has produced, but he was played at left back for Scotland because Jardine was such a good right back, this at a time when Scotland had genuine world class players. When he left Rangers everyone assumed his career was over. He only went and won Scottish Player Of The Year at Hearts.

Jardine 'managed' a charity side I played in at Ibrox once. He was faced with a dressing room full of guys who'd bid for a place in the team. We were mainly a motley mix of overweight, middle-aged men living a childhood dream. He took a look at us and said 'lads, it's a big pitch, let the ball do the running.' I should have listened, I could barely breathe after 10 minutes. 

My father would say Bobby Shearer should win this, and his record is really something. 

And a gentleman as well he took me round Ibrox many years ago (old stadium) a wonderful afternoon.