12 games in 37 days will define the season

1 hour ago, Thinker said:

We should probably redirect discussions on the existence of JuJu and other supernatural nonsense to the Lounge thread.

It has been put to me often -very often, indeed- that the supernatural beliefs of many Scottish fooball match officials greatly influence their decision making on field, and, now, off it, too, with the advent of VAR ( which, I am told, is as clear an example of superstition triumphing over technology as one might wish to see).

If this proposition is correct, it is, surely,  less than prudent to dismiss  'supernatural' aspects of refereeing as nonsense, and consign them to the oblivion of the Lounge, where cogent discussion is wont to disappear, untraceably, among the outpourings of the borderline criminally insane.

"12 games in 37 days will define the season" is a true sentiment imo, but It will not change my mind on Clement being a great appointment. MB left a poor quality, disjointed, unfit mess in his wake and it will take some sorting out. Anything from this season will be a bonus for me.

10 hours ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

"12 games in 37 days will define the season" is a true sentiment imo, but It will not change my mind on Clement being a great appointment. MB left a poor quality, disjointed, unfit mess in his wake and it will take some sorting out. Anything from this season will be a bonus for me.

Agreed, the damage MB did in the summer shouldnt go unnoticed, and the board have to take a large part of the responsibility for allowing him a free reign with no DoF and sanctioning his wishes. 

I dont mind these sort of posts about looking ahead at upcoming games but the only thing is in the SPL we play them all so regularly the next 10 matches will barely ever change - its having the League Cup final late Dec which is a puzzling one, it would have been good to have had that out of the way already. But also 12 games in 37 days means we are doing well still having 4 competitions to play for, Celtic will have 11 in that time but it looks like meaningless CL matches for them which is a boost. Aberdeen are in the same boat as us with conference games plus a cup final. 

It was not my intention to make out that if this period didnt go well I would be calling for Clement's head. Absolutely not, I like what I have seen and heard so far. Clement himself has quoted this upcoming block of games in such a short period being really important. Many other managers break down the season into blocks between international breaks, or running up to a winter break.

I wanted to just point out that if this period goes well, we will go into the second half of the season with massive optimism, and if it doesnt, our season will essentially be over and the rebuilding will begin, again, but at least this time with an experienced top class manager to back and decent, attacking football to watch. I dont think it is possible for there to be much of a middle ground in this, we either gain ground on the tims and beat them at the piggery, in whcih case it is very much game on, but if we get to the break and the gap has got bigger, the league will be over.

I suspect Clement has been assessing the squad he’s inherited & will move to make changes in/out in the next two transfer windows. Only after that can he be judged in my opinion. He seems to have already commented on the injuries which could be interesting 

1 minute ago, RANGERRAB said:

I suspect Clement has been assessing the squad he’s inherited & will move to make changes in/out in the next two transfer windows. Only after that can he be judged in my opinion. He seems to have already commented on the injuries which could be interesting 

Unless he suddenly morphs into Son-of-Beale, I think we need to be forming opinions of Clement in a couple of years at the earliest. The man has just arrive and this business of always judging people in advance is fairly dispiriting.