Summer 2008 Transfer Rumours Thread

Oh, I get it. The silly sniper on the sidelines trick. Very good.

Don't be so prickly. I think you have a point but it all seems eerily like the Romanov situation at Hearts don't you think? And how the hell do they get rid of him? After all he just transferred Hearts debt to his bank, not financed the club in the same way you describe SDM having done. One more question: would you fancy a US/Thai/Russian sugar daddy? Even Chelski are �£750 million in debt.

Don't be so prickly. I think you have a point but it all seems eerily like the Romanov situation at Hearts don't you think? And how the hell do they get rid of him? After all he just transferred Hearts debt to his bank, not financed the club in the same way you describe SDM having done. One more question: would you fancy a US/Thai/Russian sugar daddy? Even Chelski are �£750 million in debt.

Every time we get rid of a manager we face the dilemma of what will the next one be like. I guess that's the uncertainty that inevitably comes with change. The same would obviously be true of a new owner. However, when things are so obviosly going backwards over a number of years, perhaps you just have to take one thing at a time.

The issue of whether the next owner will be better or worse than the last is a question that can only be answered after the event. I'm not sure it adds anything constructive to agonise over this in advance, when the identity and performance of said new owner is necessarily unknown.

The immediate issue for Rangers is that the current owner appears to have given up the fight altogether and has become a destructive factor in the club. For me the current and urgent requirement is to reverse the decline and that will need Murray to sell and leave.

Neither you nor I, or anyone else, can influence the choice of a new owner. That will be determined exclusively by Murray. The shares are his to sell and his alone. He won't be consulting you or I so to conjecture over the merits of possible new owners is in fact pointless and futile.

All we as fans can do is see what we have and voice our opinions accordingly. We can also exert a degree of pressure on an owner, especially if we are organised and work together (just ask the president of an Italian or Spanish team if this is the case). I think you will see that pressure being exerted on Murray before too much more time has passed.

Finally, I think we are already beaten if we cannot accept the prospect of change simply because we fear a future we cannot see.

Well you seem to be quite good at talking a good game m8, that's all I was thinking honest.....:rfc:

And what? You resent someone voicing an opinion? I thought that was the point of all this. I could well be miles from the mark but I feel strongly about this and feel the need to express what I think is needed. How do we move on if we don't debate? I'm quite prepared to do more than type but this is a place only for words.

And what? You resent someone voicing an opinion? I thought that was the point of all this. I could well be miles from the mark but I feel strongly about this and feel the need to express what I think is needed. How do we move on if we don't debate? I'm quite prepared to do more than type but this is a place only for words.

I don't resent anyone voicing opinions at all that's what this is for right.

Of course we're all entitled to our opinions MF. A lot of your posts do make me wonder though. You obviously have no time for the chairman ...and the rest of the board. You hate the manager, you have nothing good to say about any of the players and you're consistently at loggerheads with your fellow supporters. What exactly DO you love about Rangers?

:D

Of course we're all entitled to our opinions MF. A lot of your posts do make me wonder though. You obviously have no time for the chairman ...and the rest of the board. You hate the manager, you have nothing good to say about any of the players and you're consistently at loggerheads with your fellow supporters. What exactly DO you love about Rangers?

I certainly have no time for the chairman. The rest of the board are irrelevant. I have great respect for what the manager achieved in the past but he certainly isn't what we need right now. He is however all we're likely to get while Murray is in charge. Rangers are still under the most appalling financial constraints - Murray probably cannot afford to sell, whether he wants to or not, and it would take a share purchase at about twice the current value to bale out the debt Murray Sports carries on behalf of Rangers, which just isn't going to happen. We have a chairman who can no longer deliver success while others perhaps could - but we simply cannot get rid of Murray unless he is prepared to swallow a great deal of the debt associated with Rangers. It's damn nearly a catch 22 situation and the club will never prosper until something very fundamental changes.

I don't hate any of the players*, that's just absurd. But we have all had plenty opportunity to see and agree that many of them are either not good enough or are the wrong type of player for the current team's needs. Much of this is down to the Manager.

What I want is success on the field. Trophies. Competing with celtic. I just don't see that happening under the current circumstances at Rangers and There appears to be no way out of this mess. You really need to take this seriously. The situation is quite desperate and only tissue paper obscures the cracks. All we have to look forward to is what we see today. This is how it is going to be from now on - there will be no more of what we enjoyed in the 1990's. We're not in the old cycle of domination we used to share with celtic, this is a completely new and perilous reality.

At loggerheads with fellow supporters? Not all of them.;)

* Except Kenny Misser

:D

I certainly have no time for the chairman. The rest of the board are irrelevant. I have great respect for what the manager achieved in the past but he certainly isn't what we need right now. He is however all we're likely to get while Murray is in charge. Rangers are still under the most appalling financial constraints - Murray probably cannot afford to sell, whether he wants to or not, and it would take a share purchase at about twice the current value to bale out the debt Murray Sports carries on behalf of Rangers, which just isn't going to happen. We have a chairman who can no longer deliver success while others perhaps could - but we simply cannot get rid of Murray unless he is prepared to swallow a great deal of the debt associated with Rangers. It's damn nearly a catch 22 situation and the club will never prosper until something very fundamental changes.

I don't hate any of the players*, that's just absurd. But we have all had plenty opportunity to see and agree that many of them are either not good enough or are the wrong type of player for the current team's needs. Much of this is down to the Manager.

What I want is success on the field. Trophies. Competing with celtic. I just don't see that happening under the current circumstances at Rangers and There appears to be no way out of this mess. You really need to take this seriously. The situation is quite desperate and only tissue paper obscures the cracks. All we have to look forward to is what we see today. This is how it is going to be from now on - there will be no more of what we enjoyed in the 1990's. We're not in the old cycle of domination we used to share with celtic, this is a completely new and perilous reality.

At loggerheads with fellow supporters? Not all of them.;)

* Except Kenny Misser

So MF,what is it you would actually want us,{ Rangers fans },to do to make all the right changes,in your view,to take Rangers FC forward ?.You clearly dislike Murray,Bain,Walter,and probably everything that is happening at Ibrox just now,so what is it you want to change and how would you suggest the best way to make these changes ?.Why don't you come out with some reasonable way of changing what it is you want the Rangers fans to do for the benefit of Rangers FC ?.Don't get me wrong here,I think you have some very valid points,but all I read from most of your posts is how badly Rangers FC is run,and how some of us are so spineless to do anything about it, what changes would you like

to see happening ?,who would you want to replace these people ?,and how would you think that these changes would work ?

Oh, I get it. The silly sniper on the sidelines trick. Very good.

Get over yourself man. You have a snidey wee remark at someone for suggesting you try to start the wrongs of our club.

Yet YOU staryed the ball rolling with your anti-RST rant - and then when someone asks you what you would expect of them you use deflection tactics. It is no better.

SDM IS responsible for appointing managers but thereafter team affairs should be the responsibility of the manager. Can you tell me of ANY fan who did not laud the appointment of PLG ? You would struggle IMO - he was VERY highly sought after and SDM was acclaimed as having done a wonderful job in appointing him.

Now.... when the shit hit the fan all of a sudden SDM was an idiot for appointgin him - sorry but that doesnt wash with me - hindsight is a wonderful thing for us fans but SDM is having to make REAL decisions without that benefit.

He IS responsible for many of the wrongs of our club but trying to select the appropriate manager is something any chairman worth his salt does.

So MF,what is it you would actually want us,{ Rangers fans },to do to make all the right changes,in your view,to take Rangers FC forward ?.You clearly dislike Murray,Bain,Walter,and probably everything that is happening at Ibrox just now,so what is it you want to change and how would you suggest the best way to make these changes ?.Why don't you come out with some reasonable way of changing what it is you want the Rangers fans to do for the benefit of Rangers FC ?.Don't get me wrong here,I think you have some very valid points,but all I read from most of your posts is how badly Rangers FC is run,and how some of us are so spineless to do anything about it, what changes would you like

to see happening ?,who would you want to replace these people ?,and how would you think that these changes would work ?

I think that's obvious. Murray to accept a significant part of the losses he was primarily responsible for and to sell the club to other investors (that WOULD be putting money into the club). Thereafter, the appointment of a manager and staff who are capable of transforming what the team is doing doing on the park. Excatly the same as most other people really.

But the whole issue depends on ridding the club of Murray. Since he owns virtually the whole shooting match, no one can force him to sell and until he does no one else can influence how the club is run. What we can do is make his life as chairman and owner a complete misery. We can openly attack his reputation as an astute businessman, as the much-vaunted guardian of Rangers, his honesty, his intentions. We can do this very openly in public. We can let the whole country know that the Great Leader isn't as loved as he wants everyone to believe he is. Fans of other clubs have done this very successfully and while there is no guarantee, the only choice is between accepting the way things are or trying to do something about it. I have always felt that the reason Muray gets away with what has been happening at the club is twofold - the natural apathy of a huge swathe of the support and a general eyes-closed ignorance of the facts.

There are many fans I speak to who just refuse to hear the slightest criticism of Murray, who genuinely belief that everything he has done has been in the best interests of Rangers. This blind-acceptance baffles me and I long ago decided this was the single greatest challenge facing us. There can be no hope of supporter unity with this vast difference in perception about the one guy who really matters. We saw that a couple of years ago with fans physically fighting each other during a small protest after a game at Ibrox - then witnessed the official Rangers website being used within one hour of that fracas to denounce the protesters like some Maoist propaganda machine.

But I think things have moved on now and open protest is now much more likely. I know there are those amongst us who are now planning such action and the question will be whether enough fans yet have the heart to take part. You ask what I would do about the current situation and my suggestion is to join in when the opportunity presents itself. Talk to your fellow supporter and question the prevailing head-in-the-sand attitudes. People need to make up their own minds and reach their own conclusions but that's not exactly been the case in the past. Murray has undoubtedly manipulated every Supporters orgaisation to ensure there is minimal dissent to his leadership - ask Frankie about the RST experience. Every time there is a crisis at Ibrox, Murray rolls out some new promise of success just around the corner - usually when ST's are due for renewal - who really believes in a stadium redevelopment at �£700m is anything but bullshit? One moonbeam after another to keep the customers acquiescent and interested.

I suppose for me it has been a sequence. Reading, listening, gathering information, forming opinion, exchanging views on forums like this, reaching a conclusion. For me, it's about putting pressure on Murray. There are a lot of very smart folks among the Rangers support and many of them have are motivated to act. Just like happened across the city, it took things to get to desperate straits before their fanbase swung into action. I think it's time for us to do the same. Gers for Change anyone?

What comes afterwards? I really don't know and I'm not sure anyone should waste too much time speculating. Only Murray can choose who he sells to, all we can do is create a climate for change and an environment into which new owners can come.

Of course it's nonsense to say that people are spineless. Most are nothing of the kind. But we need to think seriously about the state we're in as a club and get it out of our heads that all we have to do is sit back and keep the faith for a few years before our turn comes round again. I wish things were well at Ibrox and I could look forward to the game today and view the season ahead with a hopeful heart but those days seem to be gone. We're going to have to work our way out of this.