Panic over! We've signed another defender

Madjid Bougherra in

cuellar out

There lies the truth....

an absolute joke of a transfer.Where is the creativity for the most one paced and boring teams ever to pull on the Blue jersey!!

Smith get your finger out and offload a few strikers and defenders and bring in some midfield players you stubborn man!!:brick:

Better than Boumsong ... Bougherra�s total player

Madjid Bougherra will have physique to cope with SPL reckons O'Brien

Madjid Bougherra will have physique to cope with SPL reckons O'Brien

O'Brien says Madjid a bargain

O'Brien says Madjid a bargain

by Bert Mitchell

MADJID BOUGHERRA today became Rangers latest summer signing after he agreed a �£2.5m four-year deal.

The versatile 25-year-old defender, formerly of Charlton, has received a glowing recommendation after SportTimes broke the news to his former team-mate at Sheffield Wednesday, Burton O'Brien, who is currently at his Dutch training base with Falkirk.

The former Scotland Under-21 international has tipped Bougherra to be better than French international stopper Jean-Alain Boumsong for Gers.

He said: "Madjid will be a great signing for Rangers.

advertisement

"There will be plenty of Rangers supporters saying Madjid who?' "But it won't be long before they are singing his name. I played in front of him in midfield with Sheffield Wednesday and the first thing I can say is what a great passer of the ball he is. That is with either foot.

"In fact, Madjid is so comfortable on the ball that he can play all along a back four or even as a sitting midfielder.

"He is very good in his reading of the game and at Wednesday, I remember his ability to break up attacks, then go on a mazy run and set up our forwards. His distribution is that good.

"I think the Rangers support will love the way he passes the ball or runs with it out of defence. I know they enjoyed Jean-Alain Boumsong but for me Madjid will be better than Boumsong - if he is not already."

Gers hijacked a move by Premiership new boys West Bromwich Albion, after Baggies gaffer Tony Mowbray had hoped to have Bougherra signed and sealed yesterday afternoon.

O'Brien believes the fact that his ex-team-mate has turned down a return to the Premiership for a move north with Rangers is proof of his hunger to make an impact in the European arena.

O'Brien said: "There are not many 25-year-olds who would turn down a chance to play in the best league in the world after having already experienced it. I think that tells you a lot about Madjid and that it is certainly not for the money.

"We are talking about a young guy who is only going to get better and who has already been capped 13 times for Ageria.

"I know that maybe the Rangers support will be saying that the last time they got someone from Charlton that Amdy Faye didn't exactly impress but Madjid is at totally the other end of the spectrum.

"He certainly will not be fazed by big games and as far as Europe goes, his style of play is tailor made. If Carlos Cuellar is going to be out for a while then Madjid would be an ideal replacement."

Of course. there will also be doubts over the ability of an Algerian who cut his competitive teeth in French football with Gueugnon, to cope with the helter skelter physicality of the SPL.

But O'Brien has no doubts Bougherra is bullish enough for the impending battles ahead of him in the Scottish domestic top flight.

The Falkirk star said: "At 6ft 2ins, Madjid is excellent in the air and more than capable of taking care of himself. He also has a decent turn of pace when it is required either going forward or back. Listen, if he could cope with life in deepest darkest Yorkshire in the derbies we had with Leeds and the like, he will be up for the SPL."

But while O'Brien has no doubts about his former Hillsbrough mate's ability to cope mentally or physically with a move to Ibrox, he reckons the one thing that will shock the Algerian international is the size of Rangers.

The Bairns midfielder said: "At Wednesday we were used to crowds of over 20,000 and maybe even 30,000 for a derby but to be playing at Ibrox in front of 50,000 every other week will be a surprise for Madjid.

"But I know from when he was at Hillsbrough he was always desperate to play for a big club and to get regular European football and now he has that.

"In my opinion, that will only take his game to a new level. The bottom line is Rangers have a bargain."

Lets hope he is better than Boomsong. Personally i don't think signing this guy means the end of Cuellar. I think he has been brought in to play beside him and maybe fill in, in a midfield roll until Fergie gets back. It will be great having someone who can pass a ball at the back again but we will have to have more movement in midfield for it to have any effect.

There lies the truth....

an absolute joke of a transfer.Where is the creativity for the most one paced and boring teams ever to pull on the Blue jersey!!

Smith get your finger out and offload a few strikers and defenders and bring in some midfield players you stubborn man!!:brick:

Ah the "truth"...

So what is your forfeit if Cuellar stays?

We need a central defender, we get one and it's a joke of a transfer?

You want us to get rid of defenders?

You don't think Walter is working on getting a couple of midfielders and offloading strikers?

You think it's piss easy?

This is the kind of crap that makes me want to go to some OF forum where at least I can feel I'm arguing with my enemy's nonsense.

Walter has said umpteen times that he is trying to sign a couple of midfielders,maybe he is just timing it correct and waiting to offload some of the players that have not done the business for us first ?,maybe he thinks he can get his targets cheaper by waiting ?

I think Walter must have a budget of at least 11.5M as he's spent 8.5M and still wants Davis at 3m.

When you look at it that way, the 11.5M is pretty generous but we need quite a few players and it's obvious that he doesn't want to waste a penny on over-paying for a player.

Davis IMHO has not shown he's even worth 3M never mind more. He's more in the mould of Thomson, Whittaker and Naismith, who all came for about 2M. Even if you put him in the same bracket as Lafferty then you are again talking about 3M.

When you have a budget you've got to make the most of it without wasting any money and I'm sure if we went to 4M we could find a better player than Davis. However with our budget and rebuilding needs, 4M is too much to spend on one player.

It seems to me that we have a notional limit of about 3M based on potential for enhancing the team and potential return should they get better or potential loss if we have to get rid.

Arteta has turned out to be a pretty good player, yet we lost 3.5M on him and 6M on Ball.

That's too much loss for our finances.

we signed this guy out of nowhere, right? not a snip of it in any rangers forums or the papers.... wouldn't be suprised if another few signings happens over the week

Sure he was mentioned a few weeks ago as a possbile target. It all went quiet, possibly because the Loovens swap deal looked like it may happen, that deal may have died so this one was picked up.

Guest PortGlasgow
Just because he didn't hit it off with one club doesn't mean he cannot succeed with another club or in this instance with us. Messrs McCoist and Hately can justify to that.

I agree theirs many reasons why a player is sold. I was looking more for someones who's followed Charlton last season to give an opinion why he's being let go. Inconsistency, lack of ability or the manager didn't want to break up a successful partnership?

One thing I do respect about this transfer is the publicity about us going for a few different centre backs and sending out the message that we wouldn't be held over a barrel re Shittu

Im more positive than I was on Thursday morning