National team's lack of bears

First and foremost I think its the opening post has some ridiculous comments but it still opens up chance for a decent debate. It kind of makes me glad im not living in the backward victorian society of Scotland now. As someone said...go live in England for a while then you will see bias at its best and Scotland seems non exsistant. I lived there for a while and the BBC BSKYB are supposed to be British - your having a laff

I know I shouldn't and I should know better, but I did have a wry smile on my face when the final whistle blew in Macedonia last Saturday.

Firstly anyone who has a smile on there face after there own national team get beat can talk a walk and go apply for citizenship of another country.

It always intrigues me why I dont want Scotland players to do well if they play for celtic. And on top of that if there are more celtic players in the team than Rangers players, I cannot wish them success.

I find this very Celtic like minded and a pure example of how the hatred in the game will never disappear. Why cant it just be a banter fed rivarly between the 2 - because people are so filled with a self anger.

I am proudly Scottish, but some of our "Scottish" culture really annoys me. Bagpipes, tartan, kilts, anti-englishness and that truly awful so-called anthem FOS. The results of England, Wales and NI dont even register with me, international football is just an annoying break from the real stuff in my opinion.

You dont sound proudly Scottish - You just told us you had a smile on your face at full time!! How on earth can an annoyance of bagpipes, tartan and kilts show your proud. I agree that there is not much need for them at football matches and they are over used on occasions.

You have a point on the anti-englishness thing, again this should only be a bit of banter between the 2 places IMO.

And on International football, there is a problem with the set up IMO for this. The qualifiers should be played in 1 period and not broke up over 15 months or whatever. There could be a winter break from the domestic season and then play half or all the games then. I can see where getting motivated for Scotland v San Marino isnt easy for some fans...but I would still watch the game with support.

I must admit that when we pushed France and Italy close under Walter, and then Alex in the last campaign I couldn't help but get caught up in it a wee bit and actually went to the local club to watch the Italy game on the big screens.

A bit of a glory hunter then are you?? Jump onto the bandwagon when its going right??? :P

I pick on the celtic players when they play for Scotland. Every bad pass, lost header or mistake is further proof that they should not be in the team, and Rangers players mistakes are "unlucky".

Football is emotional at times, i pick up on every scottish players bad pass whether they play for Dundee Utd, Celtic or Rangers. But to single out Celtic players is harsh IMO...ok slaughter them when they are in a green hooped shirt

Under new management, with a ridiculous pair of assistants, Burley has a lot to live up to. I was naturally sympathetic to Scotland's cause under the previous two managers due to them both being former Rangers managers. Burley on the other hand looked to me as under-qualified for the job. He ran away from Hearts before we could see if he was any good and his greatest success in England was over a decade ago. His first few friendlies last season were hard to judge as Rangers players were withdrawing due to our mammoth campaign, and friendlies are a waste of time.

What do you want - a 2nd Rangers team turning out for Scotland?? Should every manager be a Ex Ger???

Whether Burley ws the right pick is another debate, I was 50/50 with him and I still am as he has only had 1 competitive difficult away game. His selections have been a bit baffling but there isnt much to choose from. Not sure if he ran away from Hearts, he was being told what who to pick for the team. He had a superb season with Ipswich, taking a small club to 5th in the Premiership. Massive clubs like Spurs and Newcastle are struggling to do that.

I've only been to one Scotland game in my life and that was at Ibrox!

I've always put supporting Rangers ahead of Scotland but of course always want Scotland to win and do well even if there are players and managers who I haven't liked.

I can see where some supporters are coming from not giving a toss about them etc and I would certainly not call anyone doing so a traitor for not supporting them as it is their choice, a strange one IMO but it�s up to them surely.

I hope we win tonight and qualify for the world cup but I personally don't think we will and Burley is my reason why. He had 1 great season as Gribz said with Ipswich but I just don't like the way he comes across or what he has done recently but that's only my opinion but I do genually hope he can help us qualify.

I also don't mind tartan, kilts or bagpipes :drink:

I've always put supporting Rangers ahead of Scotland but of course always want Scotland to win and do well even if there are players and managers who I haven't liked.

this is about my position - i always want scotland to win, but i just dont care. international football is boring.

i dislike all of them though - they're just tacky and entirely irrelevant to our culture and heritage. :thup:

still proud to be scottish though.

I can't remember the last time I took a real interest in the Scotland football team.

Even with Rangers players in it, I struggle to get motivated for their games.

:(

I am a Scotland fan and support them in all there games but watching that in Macedonia i thought i was watching a Celtic game with the number of them in the squad and i am too struggling to feel any motivation at all with the current manager and his pick of players.

Maloney not kicked a ball for ages - straight into the squad as soon as he pulls on a hooped jersey.

Robson - is a decent enough player but we have better.

Hartley - Mince

Caldwell - Thinks he is Maldini (Are managers blind ?)

Mcmanus - Hatchetman at best should never captain this country even in Barry's absence.

Brown - If played in the right position (CM) he is ok otherwise invisible.

I hope we win tonight but think we will struggle if all the above start.

If we lose Burley's head will be called for and there will be no hiding place in my opinion.

First and foremost I think its the opening post has some ridiculous comments but it still opens up chance for a decent debate. It kind of makes me glad im not living in the backward victorian society of Scotland now. As someone said...go live in England for a while then you will see bias at its best and Scotland seems non exsistant. I lived there for a while and the BBC BSKYB are supposed to be British - your having a laff

Firstly anyone who has a smile on there face after there own national team get beat can talk a walk and go apply for citizenship of another country.

I find this very Celtic like minded and a pure example of how the hatred in the game will never disappear. Why cant it just be a banter fed rivarly between the 2 - because people are so filled with a self anger.

You dont sound proudly Scottish - You just told us you had a smile on your face at full time!! How on earth can an annoyance of bagpipes, tartan and kilts show your proud. I agree that there is not much need for them at football matches and they are over used on occasions.

You have a point on the anti-englishness thing, again this should only be a bit of banter between the 2 places IMO.

And on International football, there is a problem with the set up IMO for this. The qualifiers should be played in 1 period and not broke up over 15 months or whatever. There could be a winter break from the domestic season and then play half or all the games then. I can see where getting motivated for Scotland v San Marino isnt easy for some fans...but I would still watch the game with support.

A bit of a glory hunter then are you?? Jump onto the bandwagon when its going right??? :P

Football is emotional at times, i pick up on every scottish players bad pass whether they play for Dundee Utd, Celtic or Rangers. But to single out Celtic players is harsh IMO...ok slaughter them when they are in a green hooped shirt

What do you want - a 2nd Rangers team turning out for Scotland?? Should every manager be a Ex Ger???

Whether Burley ws the right pick is another debate, I was 50/50 with him and I still am as he has only had 1 competitive difficult away game. His selections have been a bit baffling but there isnt much to choose from. Not sure if he ran away from Hearts, he was being told what who to pick for the team. He had a superb season with Ipswich, taking a small club to 5th in the Premiership. Massive clubs like Spurs and Newcastle are struggling to do that.

For someone who does not even live in the country they profess to love so much, I think you will understand if I refrain from taking Patriotism lessons from you. :P Perhaps if you chose to live here, living the rivalry, putting up with our demonisation at every turn, listening to how great they are from their mhedia friends, then you would understand my point a little more.

I thought it was clear that the wry smile at FT was due to there being 5 OF losers in the team and my long-held belief that if there are more of them than us in a national team, we under-perform. No answer forthcoming to the question posed?

I stick by the fact that I am proudly Scottish. I am Scottish, both my parents are Scottish, and all 4 grandparents are Scottish. My wife is also 100% Scottish and my son is Scottish. I am proud of our heritage, the great inventors we have given the world, our part in the shaping of the world. Around the world people have great respect for the Scots when you meet them and this also makes you proud for your country. The small matter of the international football team does not really have any bearing on being proud of your country.

What I personally dislike is the National dress (the skirt) the bagpipes which are an embarressment to music, and the fact we have promoted a second rate folk song to our national anthem because of an anti-english agenda to bin GSTQ because England sing it (rightfully) as their National Anthem.

I am fully behind your idea of cramming all the internationals into a winter break. Take a month off for the players to recharge, get their clean-up operations etc and get ready for the second half of the season, while those unfortunate enough to be selected for their country get to go off and play 8-10 games in a month all at once. It would perhaps refocus supporters like me into going back to being interested in international football again, as all the focus is on the internationals for a month at a time. Unfortunately I dont see it ever happening but I do like the idea.

I dont particularly require a National manager to be ex-Rangers, but they must be qualified to do the job. Burley has never had a big job to see if he is any good. Yes he did well for ONE season with Ipswich, but that was over 10 years ago. If that really is the peak of his management career, then he is most definately not the best man for the job. A Scotland manager should have managed at a big club or have international management experience. He falls short on both.

I couldn't disagree more. Rangers are a proud SCOTTISH club and anyone who does not back their country is a traitor IMO. I hate McGeady for turning his back on his country, not because he plays for THEM. In fact, I couldn't care less if they ALL came from Parkhead, I'd still be cheering if they help Scotland to any victory. Some of you guys should be living in England and see what we have to put up with every time there's a competition England are in - all the silly flags on cars etc. They don't care if players come from Arsenal or Man U or whatever and neither should we. In the current situation, injury deprived us of Rangers players - it's totally irrelevant that the OF match resulted in some international players being on the losing side. Some people of my nation need to grow up. And btw 'Flower of Scotland' makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck!

I dont see what is wrong with promoting the flags of your country, and it was really pleasing to see all the saltires hanging out the cars in the build up to the Italy game. Shame they all disappeared shortly afterwards. I am glad you like FOS, musical taste is a very personal thing, it is just not my taste and I cannot listen to it. If I am watching a Scotland game I turn off the sound for FOS being masqueraded as our National anthem. That is my choice.

I also agree we should all give Scotland and any Scottish players our support.

I do agree with Tannoch though in that i do wish Internationals were only during the week as i hate a weekend without Rangers playing.

Tannoch, you should not be too hard on Celtic players as you never know one day they could play for Rangers;)

I know fine well I should give all Scotland players my full support, I just cant. I am well aware that is a failing of mine, and was the main reason for the original post, to see if it is only me with this affliction or it is shared with fellow bears.

As for scum players playing for us, at least we know that would never happen...........

I can see where some supporters are coming from not giving a toss about them etc and I would certainly not call anyone doing so a traitor for not supporting them as it is their choice, a strange one IMO but it�s up to them surely.

I hope we win tonight and qualify for the world cup but I personally don't think we will and Burley is my reason why. He had 1 great season as Gribz said with Ipswich but I just don't like the way he comes across or what he has done recently but that's only my opinion but I do genually hope he can help us qualify.

I was in full agreement with you right up until the last sentence, then you go and spoil it. ;)